Energy Drinks(MONSTER) and Atrial fibrillation (HELP)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Ok so a few years ago I had an A Fib spout. The ONLY thing that changed in my diet was the addition of Monster Energy(Original) once a Saturday night @ around 2200 for 3 weeks.

All of a sudden one night my breathing changed and I felt like I had to burp but couldn't.

Next day at work around 0730 I knew something wasn't right. Felt like my heart rate was up. So I drove to the gym and did a blood pressure hear rate test at the sit down machine. My HR was 115/

So I got to the hospital, get hooked up on some meds and have to stay over night until my heart gets back on track with a regular beat.

SO! I sort of just went on from there an never thought about it anymore. But a Doctor that night specifically ask me if I have been drinking energy drinks. I told him yes but ONLY 3 and ONLY once a week on Sat. nights. He said, it was the Guarana in the Monster Drink and that I should never drink another one again.

So, I haven't.

But now I'm reading that may be a bunch of horse **** and supposedly has been debunked? :dunno:

I'm wondering now, b/c the wife picked up GNC MEGA MEN Energy & Metabolism Kit on sale the other day just randomly for me. I looked at the pack and sure enough the Burn 60 Pill has 495mg of Guarana Seed Extract.

So I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and he'll likely tell me NOT to take it.

But I wanted to consult with our Medical experts here :D

So Google Fu away, give me something to read. or if you know someone who had a similar experience.

I find it odd that it supposedly is not possible to cause A Fib,
    but that's the only thing I changed in my diet and poof, I get A Fib? :confused:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I'm having to give up caffeine all together. Been drinking it for years but now whenever I drink it, I feel like I'm coming out of my skin. Heart rate jumps, feel horrible.

Easier just to let it go.

JetMech

Displaced Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Shreveport
    My wife does not like it when I drink Monster for those reasons. We found some of the V8 Vfusion Energy. It has green tea and b vitamins. It seems to be doing the trick. I only realy drink this kind of stuff when we go on long drives to help keep me alert.

crippy02

Woodsman and Father
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Saint Francisville
    I've never heard it was one thing in them specifically, but I have had a a-fib episode from drinking a redline too fast. nobody told me the tall ones were two servings.

If you have to drink one, try the Monster Rehab, they taste better and are a little more mellow.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    So you're relying on a bunch of random people to give you medical advice over your doctor because you don't want to throw away a pack of multivitimins and buy another?

come-on-man-o.gif

OH C'MON MAN!!!

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I have a history of SVT's . I avoid energy drinks completely and limit my caffeine to one or two cups of coffee a day . NO soft drinks at all .

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    You are the youngest case of afib I have seen. Caffeine or any stimulant can increase the potential of it, but at your age, have they looked further for causation?

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Why does anyone "need" these concoctions?

What are you trying to achieve with them and what are the data showing that they are effective?

They are just another profit center for the soft drink companies, IMHO.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Drink Xyience instead. It will give you energy, fix your heart problems, prevent cancer AND make your dong bigger. Swear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    So you're relying on a bunch of random people to give you medical advice over your doctor because you don't want to throw away a pack of multivitimins and buy another?

Hell NO! He's not asking a bunch of random people! He asked the bs.com crew, who he knows are bunch of experts on a wide range of topics!

Me, I stay away from energy drinks. I have on occasion resorted to mountain dew red alert though...

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez

What are you trying to achieve with them and what are the data showing that they are effective?

+1. "naturally occurring" but in much higher concentrations than you would get naturally. Unhealthy chemicals.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

You two may want to re-read the first post. I've drank 3 Energy Drinks in my life, those three as described in the OP.

As if I (really) consider anyone here a medical expert. I'm just looking for some similar experiences or maybe some shared online articles/education on whether or not Guarana can actually cause A-Fib.

...and not sure just how much faith you put in YOUR Doctor, but they are human too. Some, very set in their ways and it most assuredly affects the care they provide, or don't provide their patients. I could give plenty examples.

Which could be the case here. A Doctor back then straight up told me that the Guarana in the Monster Drink is what caused my A-Fib. But I consulted with another Doctor who said, no way and another who said most likely not.

See? :dunno:

I don't Drink Energy Drinks!

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

I'll drink them to slam out a killer day in the gym after 12 hours at work dragging 400# people around.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have never been a very large individual, (Past 2 years 5'10 around 200lbs), but for the past month or so I have been completely giving up caffeine and begun to work in the yard some and have lost 22lbs so far. I had a large icee a couple hours ago (used to drink one a day) and for a while i could feel my heart beating faster. I now have a migraine and actually feel quite shaky. Back to water for me. I'll never even consider an energy drink again.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    JMO; I would have to be forced to drink any of that crap including Red Bull . Don't take me wrong I need the energy but not at the cost you experienced a few year ago . OH , I am no where near a medical expert ,just born with common sense. Have a blessed day .

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You two may want to re-read the first post. I've drank 3 Energy Drinks in my life, those three as described in the OP.

As if I (really) consider anyone here a medical expert. I'm just looking for some similar experiences or maybe some shared online articles/education on whether or not Guarana can actually cause A-Fib.

...and not sure just how much faith you put in YOUR Doctor, but they are human too. Some, very set in their ways and it most assuredly affects the care they provide, or don't provide their patients. I could give plenty examples.

Which could be the case here. A Doctor back then straight up told me that the Guarana in the Monster Drink is what caused my A-Fib. But I consulted with another Doctor who said, no way and another who said most likely not.

See? :dunno:

I don't Drink Energy Drinks!

Sir, I believe you've confused my question with a statement. As for my doctor, I go to an Indian one who proscribes me Vicodin for my sore feet. She may not know what a spleen is, but I feel like I get a quality service anyways.

That's a joke.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have never been a very large individual, (Past 2 years 5'10 around 200lbs), but for the past month or so I have been completely giving up caffeine and begun to work in the yard some and have lost 22lbs so far. I had a large icee a couple hours ago (used to drink one a day) and for a while i could feel my heart beating faster. I now have a migraine and actually feel quite shaky. Back to water for me. I'll never even consider an energy drink again.
    What were you drinking that had caffeine in it that made you gain weight? Caffeine in itself should not make you gain weight. If anything, it should speed up your metabolism and make you lose weight. Now, coffee is great for you. Coffee with a cup of sugar and half a cup of cream is not.

@Hitman - Do you drink coffee often? Do you consume caffeine in any way on a regular basis? What about sugary drinks?

I ask all of this because I know a bit about the subject. My girlfriend went to the ER two years ago due to her passing out after downing an energy drink. It was either a monster or a NOS. I think the latter. I did a lot of research after that. Also, Men's Health magazine has had quite a few articles on said drinks over the years. A lot of people who don't consume much caffeine can react quite poorly if given a very large dose of it. On the other hand, those drinks also have a lot of sugar in them. It could raise your blood sugar super quickly which could yield to the same results that you have. In her case, it was a result of not eating any food during the day and then pounding down the NOS. 108 grams of sugar and 320 grams of caffeine. On an empty stomach it all got in her system quite quickly, which elevated her heart rate and she fainted.

I have never heard of guarana itself causing problems. Here is a Men's Health link on the usefulness of energy drink ingredients: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/effectiveness_of_energy_drinks/Guarana.php

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I had a bout with a fib about 10 years ago from diet pills. No more caffeine, soft drinks, diet pills, pre workout powders for me. Still go to the heart doctor every year for a checkup.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    What were you drinking that had caffeine in it that made you gain weight? Caffeine in itself should not make you gain weight. If anything, it should speed up your metabolism and make you lose weight. Now, coffee is great for you. Coffee with a cup of sugar and half a cup of cream is not.

Pretty much any man made caffeinated drinks (soft drinks, energy drinks and the like) have tons of sugar or artificial sweeteners. My addiction was Dr. Pepper and Monster Assault for quite a while. I dont blame the weight on just the soda's but im sure they didnt help. Like i said before, after not having any caffeine/very sugary food/drink for a while, then having one, the jitters, heartbeat and REM i felt i was having really made me realize just what adding that stuff to my body daily was doing. It just wasnt natural.

As for coffee, I used to LOVE it back in highschool. But for the past 5-6 years, I really just havent had the taste for it.

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur

@Hitman - Do you drink coffee often? Do you consume caffeine in any way on a regular basis? What about sugary drinks?

I ask all of this because I know a bit about the subject. My girlfriend went to the ER two years ago due to her passing out after downing an energy drink. It was either a monster or a NOS. I think the latter. I did a lot of research after that. Also, Men's Health magazine has had quite a few articles on said drinks over the years. A lot of people who don't consume much caffeine can react quite poorly if given a very large dose of it. On the other hand, those drinks also have a lot of sugar in them. It could raise your blood sugar super quickly which could yield to the same results that you have. In her case, it was a result of not eating any food during the day and then pounding down the NOS. 108 grams of sugar and 320 grams of caffeine. On an empty stomach it all got in her system quite quickly, which elevated her heart rate and she fainted.

I have never heard of guarana itself causing problems. Here is a Men's Health link on the usefulness of energy drink ingredients: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/effectiveness_of_energy_drinks/Guarana.php

Sounds like your issue...I used to have fits of afib after a long night of drinking and smoking...cut that out substantially and no more issues.

Top Bottom