Enhanced AR15/M16 5.56 30rd Steel Magazine $7.15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Well let's look at the shipping costs...

According to Brownell's a 30 round steel mag weighs about 5.8 ounces. Now I'm just using this as an example since keepshooting.com doesn't list actual weight.

Now the keepshooting website says they have 3 warehouses but their corporate office is located in Maryland (BTP Arms 1282 Smallwood Drive West #105 Waldorf, MD 20603-4732 United States) so that's what I'll use as a from address.

Using the UPS Cost Calculator (https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_US) 10 magazines (3.6 pounds) shipped from zip code 20603 to zip code 70433 will cost $12.14 for Ground Service.

They charged me $11.98

So I'm not following how you guys think their shipping cost is high. It's right on with what UPS says they would charge :confused:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Mine shipped already.

I was getting worried when the email said shipped with "world mail" i thought they were in route from Taiwan but it said delivery date 8/21/12 and it did leave from MD according to tracking #

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Mine shipped as well (From Maryland). ETA Wednesday, 08/22/2012, By End of Day.

Laurel, MD, United States08/17/201210:15 P.M.Arrival Scan
    Waldorf, MD, United States08/17/20129:05 P.M.Departure Scan
    08/17/20128:20 P.M.Origin Scan
    United States08/17/20126:31 P.M.Order Processed: Ready for UPS

PS Weight is 6 pounds according to the tracking #. So my math above would make actual shipping costs even higher than I stated. So I don't get people complaining about high shipping like it's the website's fault. Blame UPS for raising their rates not a website that's actually not even charging as much as UPS says they should.

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Well my 10 came in this morning. They look good for $8.35 each. Plan on heading to the range this weekend to give them a test run and will report back.
    fhnkw678j47m0o4fzql4.jpg

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    Mine came in last night. Looked em over real quick, but I'll have to wait to test them as I'm back offshore today.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Bad news. I had problems with all 10. Plan on returning them all. Will post more when I get home. Very disappointing day at the range :(

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Wish i would have waited till today to order not yesterday

I'm still a novice shooter, maybe I'm just doing something wrong :dunno: I mean there are plenty of good reviews out there so please let me know if you have a different experience with them.

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    Took a few of them out today to try while testing my latest build. One would only load 29rnds the first time (took 30 each time after that). One wouldn't feed the first round on the first try, took it out, put the round back in it, inserted it & hit the bolt release & it fed fine. Another hiccupped about halfway through a mag, reloaded it & tried it several more times & couldn't get it to repeat the malfunction. After the first time through, then reloading & running the second & third times, there were no problems.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Received mine.
    The magazine is very well built. Because its a $7 mag, i really thought it was gonna be recycled Beer Cans, and when/if dropped,
    it would fold in 1/2.
    Its the Opposite, Very STurdy and Its noticeably thicker. Ill get a real measurement later.
    this is also the suspect problem IMO
    If I rack a round like a whimp, the bullet cocks over just like the first pics.
    If I Allow the Bolt to slam in, it feeds the round.
    granted when your Firing the Rifle, this is how the system will work.
    Not a Whimpy, Whimpy feeding process.

The Lips are the same dimension. However, when I whimpy load a round with my factory bushmaster magazine, you can clearly see the
    feed lips fold up and out as the shell exits the mag.
    Using a P-Mag, and Whimpy rack, the P-mag feed lips also fold up and out as the round exits.

With the new mags, and a whimpy rack, the feed lips "Do NOT" fold up and out and the case exits.
    This is when the FTF occurs.
    I'm gonna sacrifice 1 mag for Science, and a little at a time, remove some meat from the forward , outermost feed lips.
    Since I don't see them flexing at all, removing some excess meat should do the trick.

Ill take pics.

should we have to do this ? NO
    Should we chamber a round like a MAN ? YES
    If I was reloading brass ammo, I do think the brass cases will be damaged if allowed to run like this , YES
    If my theory is correct, I will dremel up the rest of them.
    I like the fact that the overall construction is stronger,
    But I dont like the bind the case is subjected to when the shell
    exits the mag.

Comments , Anyone ? Buhler ?

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Define "whimpy load"? I wasn't aware you had a choice in how fast the spring pushed the bolt forward in an AR15 when pressing the bolt release :confused:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Define "whimpy load"? I wasn't aware you had a choice in how fast the spring pushed the bolt forward in an AR15 when pressing the bolt release :confused:

Probably means rack it hard. It's kind of like racking the slide on a handgun to chamber a round versus pushing the slide release. Sometimes that extra moment will chamber a round that simply releasing the slide/bolt will not.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Bosco,
    I was not letting the bolt slam from the locked position.
    I call the whimpy, by simply pulling back on the charging handle , then releasing it in a non violent way.
    I am basically clarifiying your findings. UNLESS the Bolt is released where the strongest slam can be generated, the shell case has to be forced past the tight
    angle spot , your pics showed.

Therefore , I think by firing the rifle, the mag will cycle rounds.
    The same stress is being put on the case. [ and I am not comfortable with it either ] It is being forced passed by the tight spot.

IF I can dremel on mine, I plan on keeping them. The Mags are more rigid. I do like that.
    Im thinking each mag can be done in 2-3 minutes.

Ill do the first one to confirm my belief and get a shape or pattern finalized to do the rest.
    Then again, it may not work. We will see.
    I use the term dremel from you guys.
    I have the high performance straight, 90 degree , 45 deg. and flex cable grinders.
    Over the years I filled up a large salt water tackle box that I call my Cylinder Head Porting Tool box.
    I have just about every cutting , grinding , polishing, flexible tips you can think of.

Some might be interested, and the rest of you guys may be laughing at us.
    Rock-N-Roll !

Vince

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I didn't take any offense and I'm sure I do it the whimpy way :mamoru: I was just hoping to get some clarification in case I ever run into this in the future.

So you're pulling the charging handle back as far as it can go and then quickly releasing it?

I guess I could have loaded a round in the chamber and then put a fully loaded magazine in and see what happens. Perhaps that could have been the trick to keeping them as range magazines :dunno:

king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    Update Vince as my brother gave me 5 of these and I haven't opened them yet. Do I need to dremmel or just not use them other than range mags?

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    they work, however they do scratch up the casings. I got rid of my 5.56 stuff and I am using 300 blackout.
    I taken it out twice. first time had gas leak issues. Second time, I had extractor issues.
    Therefore I hadnt really been able to test them much.
    Personally I dont want any case damage, cause I am saving the 300 cases for relaod

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom