Family dog breeds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Straight up, two things...
    Not yet (I'll turn your offer down)
    Labs, golden retrievers and Bassett hounds are at the top of my list...

A good kennel will have a waiting list of about one year. Plus, I'm lonely. Research keeps me occupied until or if we are ready for a new family member.

I've been flitting around different breeds. A Newfoundland would be so ideal. They are nanny dogs (the dog in Peter Pan was a Newfie). But Spec doesn't want a 130lb monster. And I'm not sure of their ability to sound the alarm, do they care if strangers come up. So I've decided eh, no Newfie.

Irish Wolfhounds. Love 'em. Very short lifespans compared to other breeds. Off the list.

German shepards, nice, good size, hates strangers, eats cats... We have a cat, not a good idea. Off the list.

Terriers. I love them. We had a great one for so long. Their personality just rocks. So what are good family terriers? If there is such a thing. Mutt was half fox terrier. She loved us, but she was a little grinchy. Okay, her nickname was Queen Bitch but we loved her. She didn't like many people, didn't prefer kids, and hated all other dogs with a searing passion that rivaled hell's ninth level. I'd like one a tad bit more social. ;)

Standard poodle, does anyone have experience with them?

Greyhounds are another contender. They are psycho and I love them for all of their quirks. But I'm not sure if I want to adopt a mature pet. 15 years was so long, I don't want to feel like there wasn't enough time. On the other hand, mature and senior dogs love and behave like no other. The joy is infinite.

Thought about all of the hunting dogs. Irish Setter, the spaniels...

Just for giggles, is there anybody with experience in the non-typical but not rare breeds?

Last edited:

jbadjones

Rating - 96.7%
    119   4   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Natchitoches
    English bull dog gets my vote, but then again I am bias :) I have had such bad luck with dogs up until I found my girl, Izzy. Loved dogs as a kid, but the rotten ass mutts we would get to try and give my son a pet totally ruined me. Never thought I would ever consider another animal "a part of the family" but my bully just fits right in. Probably because we look alot alike :)

323428_694882518321_62008063_33701625_1048497997_o.jpg

Last edited:

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Im just gonna say it because i gotta! Doberman best dog I have ever had and the only breed I will ever own. Great with kids, and cats ;) I have 12 nieces and nephews ages 7months to 16 years old. He is great with all of them, they all love him and they have the added benefit of great protection instinct. Very clean and dont shed much at all, super super smart Jack peed in the house one time I smacked his booty and rubbed his nose in it and threw him outside and he has never had any type of accident in the house. Took him all of 20mins to master, Sit, Stay, Paw, High five, Up, down.

Y'all have all seen pics of him but im going to post another one anyway :p
    105.jpg

jbadjones

Rating - 96.7%
    119   4   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Natchitoches
    We really don't have lots of visitors of any kind around my house, but like hearing the garbage man coming onto the porch to get the cans, and another time when my wife took her for a walk and stopped to speak to the neighbors she got VERY defensive. I could honestly think if someone did break in and tried to sweeten her up a little bit she would fall right in their trap. Believe what you read, because bulldogs are extremely stubborn, no doubt.

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    If you want a dog to alert you I would have to say get a Chiuaua. They can be in a deep sleep, and hear a mouse **** on a cotton ball at midnight. If you want a loyal companion who will protect your home and family with their life, the South African Boerboel (Mastiff) is your breed. I have owned numerous breeds in my 45 years, and the Boerboel is by far the best I have ever had. Big, muscular, loyal, smart, I will never own another breed.
    http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm281/hogin/?action=view&current=Koko8.jpg][/URL]

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What do you WANT in a dog?

The terriers will skin your cat faster than the Shepherd will. It seems fighting foxes, badgers and otters created a fiery-assed, strong-willed, hard biting little f.. You get my drift.

The hunting dogs USUALLY don't make guard dogs and they tend to have high drive all of the time like the terriers but only larger.

English Bulldogs, as a breed, are NOT healthy. Breathing issues, heart, back and eye issues. If you have lots of coin to give to your vet go for it.

Newfie in Louisiana? Its kinda hot for them and the ones I've seen drooled a lot. I don't think anyone would try to break into your home with one, though.

I'd list what is important to you (pros and cons) and research as you're doing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    I have always been a big fan of Labs, Dobermans, German Shepherds, and some of the other bigger dogs. But I after I got my mutt a few years ago, I probably won't go with anything else. Mutts tend to have less health problems, they are usually pretty intelligent and make for very good family dogs. With all dogs though, a lot of it is in how you train them though. My dog is topped out at 35lbs, I found her in the woods in South Carolina, she had been out there for a few weeks and was starving. Brought her home and haven't regretted it. She was about 6 months old when I got her, and she is now around 3. I am still amazed at how easy she has been to take care of. She has yet to go to the bathroom in the house or chew anything up. Best dog I have ever had! Anyways, here's my Layla!

Attachments

• Layla.jpg
      Layla.jpg
      73.6 KB · Views: 54

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Chow chow. Cat-like personality and fiercely protective of its master and family. Make great friends and foot warmers. My dad is a breeder, so of you are interested, he runs Imperial Chows out of Virgina. He might just have a litter at the moment. Chows ABSOLUTELY MUST be socialized properly.
    They come in rough and smooth coats. Grooming them is not as bad, but requires regular brushing and absolutely requires a bath. They are quite muscular dogs with hearts of gold.
    It should be noted that these are show dogs, but they can make great pets. If you want a pet-quality, dad has one every so often, so email or call him if you want to know more.

My first dog was a cream bitch, and she was such a sweet little thing. She would beg to be petted every time she saw me.

Last edited:

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    +1 for the Doberman. They are great with kids and good guard dogs too. When I was a baby, my "nanny" was a doberman named Sassy and she looked after me like I was her puppy.

Standard poodles are the sweetest, goofiest dogs in the world. Would be a GREAT choice for a family dog. They don't shed and they are less allergenic than most other breeds, but they are DUMB and would treat a burglar the same way they treat you.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    DOG.jpg
    Dog For Sale ------Free to good home. Excellent guard dog.
    Owner cannot afford to feed him anymore, as there are no more drug pushers, thieves, murderers, or molesters left in the neighborhood for him to eat. Most of them knew Jethro only by his Chinese Street name
    :
    Ho Lee Schitt.

dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    I have a GS we rescued after Katrina. Also a Pug and a Yorkie. Also 2 cats. They all get along fine.
    Just make sure to give whatever you decide on plenty of your time.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I have always been a big fan of Labs, Dobermans, German Shepherds, and some of the other bigger dogs. But I after I got my mutt a few years ago, I probably won't go with anything else. Mutts tend to have less health problems, they are usually pretty intelligent and make for very good family dogs. With all dogs though, a lot of it is in how you train them though. My dog is topped out at 35lbs, I found her in the woods in South Carolina, she had been out there for a few weeks and was starving. Brought her home and haven't regretted it. She was about 6 months old when I got her, and she is now around 3. I am still amazed at how easy she has been to take care of. She has yet to go to the bathroom in the house or chew anything up. Best dog I have ever had! Anyways, here's my Layla!

Seriously, that's the best looking Mutt I've ever seen. Good looking dog.

Labradors (of course) are getting my vote.

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    Labradors are my favorite dog for everything. But unless you own or are buying a house with a great yard & fence just don't do it. Having 2 and living in apartments or wanting to go out of town or having to break them up from fighting, having a big dog sucks.

I don't know what kind of dog she is but my mom has one of those little dogs that look like Blue Dog and I'm probably going to get something like that one day after my Labs are gone. Very sweet (but territorial) dog.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    neutralityposter_s-11.jpg

The original American family dog! With any dog, it's all in their upbringing. My pittie was a shelter rescue, gets bossed around by my 6 year old niece and tries to climb in my handicapped nephew's wheelchair to give him kisses. I'm a huge advocate for rescue.

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    im going with topgunz1 on this too. I used to play in our pitbulls dog house as a kid. I just had to have my 12 year old one put down, and still have a son off him. The one we still have tries to follow the neighbor kids home. They used to come over when we were outside and play with him when he was a puppy, so now anytime he sees children, he gets super excited. HE doesnt like cats b/c im prety sure he thinks they are giant squirrels, and he hates squirrels. But my other one loved them. We had a cat who would be hitting him in face and he thought it was the best game in the world, and just sit there and take it with a big dumb grin. However he also tried to make friends with raccoons. Great dogs, protective, will alert you of strangers/problems, and if taken care of will love you like no other, and devote themselves to your family

EDIT: taking this chance to post pictures of my babies lol. Black and white one is Rosco, hes no longer with us :( . The red/brown one is Otis, hope he will be around for a long time.

DSC00997-1.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom