Family dog breeds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Cur..again and always...this is Como,( about 4 mo old here ) Florida Blackmouth Cur...think I got some commin

NewPuppies42611___98pics006-1.jpg

I find them a lot like the working breeds, especially Doberman...for athletic and smarts...Great hunters, guard and defense dogs

Not pissin on anyone but IMO this is the single most reliable breed for home owners for protection and compaionship. These guys are not over priced YET

I remembr when a GOOD AKC Dobe was $ 300.00....how long ago was that

If this litter happens I will FTAGH for all the BS folks who are interested.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yrdawg, I adore all working breeds. That dark brindle coat; "Bulldog" blood infused in there somewhere up the genealogical tree.

I'm in no position to own a dog (too many hours...) but I do like the idea of having one. How big? What's their temperment like? How are they towards kids (in general)? Do they hunt small fur bearing game (cats)? Do you find them similar to Cayahoulas?

I've heard nothing but good things about WORKING STRAINS of dogs IFF the persons purchasing them know what they are in for.

Thanks, brother!

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Yrdawg, I adore all working breeds. That dark brindle coat; "Bulldog" blood infused in there somewhere up the genealogical tree.

I'm in no position to own a dog (too many hours...) but I do like the idea of having one. How big? What's their temperment like? How are they towards kids (in general)? Do they hunt small fur bearing game (cats)? Do you find them similar to Cayahoulas?

I've heard nothing but good things about WORKING STRAINS of dogs IFF the persons purchasing them know what they are in for.

Thanks, brother!

Size...well, there are smaller strains of Cur but what I have had is Catahoula Leopard Cur and this Blackmouth ...they run around 75 to 90 #

Extremely athletic...remind me of the Doberman for grace and strength...Just a fine pet, little hyper...I have had people call and ask I had the puppies hearing tested...cuz the myth is that they are hard of hearing...They are THAT hard headed, sometimes you think they are deaf...as to intelligence, they are smarter than a 5th grader, these are dogs who will train a trainer.

From my reading there is American Pitt in the Cur line, not a lot...Not sure but look at the head and ears

I'll let you know if I am unable to prevent this litter. :noes:

Company Man

Teufel Hunden
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Kentwood
    Let me throw my .02 cents in on this one.

All breeds mentioned are great, any dog is great. But in Louisiana you know how hot it gets, the large breeds will have body odor and so be prepared for that one especially when they get older. Shedding will be a problem with most breeds, so again be prepared for hair removal from furniture & clothes.

If you are looking for a companion to keep inside, gets along with other pets, does not shed and minimal smell then your options are few. I would recommend a Yorkie, they are little tanks and don't back down. They might not take an arm or leg off, but they will let you know when someone is lurking around

MegaTon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Lake Charles, LA
    I work at 3 veterinary clinics in town and I will be beginning vet school at lsu in the fall so I have plenty of experience with many breeds. I have an English Bulldog and they are my personal favorite breed: lazy, goofy, loving, but very expensive. The next dog Ill get will be an American Bulldog. All the good qualities of the English but a little more active and defensive. Standard poodles make excellent dogs, but they must be groomed or their hair will get nasty. Depending on what you want out of a dog there are many breeds that can fill it. If you want something to guard the house thats on the rare side I recommend the Cane Corso, Caucasian Sheepdog, or Bullmastiff.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I'm getting a better idea this week of what I'm interested in. Bassets, bulldogs, boxers, labradors, poodles, or Heinz 57s.... I don't believe I can ever call another dog "mutt". There was only one Mutt for us.

Goofy, quirky, hardheaded, stubborn, temperamental pets are all okay. Mutt had her issues we worked through and our fat ass cat who prefers to be in the middle of our family now spent his first four months in hiding. I enjoy the satisfaction of seeing a dog become socialized. Socks was a major victory. I could wax on about the trust and bond when you break through the communication barrier. :)

But, my 15 lb Himalayan poofball drives me batshit with his hairballs and shedding. NO BLOWCOATS! If a dog drops ten pounds of hair with the seasons, I'll pass. Short coats. I really think extreme shedding will be a deal breaker. Not normal shedding, i know how much labs shed. I can handle that. It is the shedding with a vengeance undercoat can't brush it enough kind of shedding that I'm talking about. I happened to see pictures of a newfies blow coat. Oh my god, oh hell no.

FWIW, we have sixty rural acres, discussing fence options (i want wrought iron, about three acres worth, Spec looked at me like i was mad)and tiled living areas. Size isn't an issue, nor room. I'm home most every day.

We have a fifth wheel. Mutt didnt handle kenneling AT ALL. When she turned ten, we had to figure something out. We travel alot, dropped weight was getting harder and harder to put back on for her. So, the RV was her rolling dog house. We're going on a trip later and that RV hasn't ever budged without her in the passenger seat. I don't know how we're going to do. We may both come back still saying not yet. We may come home to find one ASAP.

The last six months was... The thought of adopting again is almost like asking if I want to care for a bedridden family member again. It was emotional watching her go downhill. Every day asking what her quality of life was. But the house is just off. We brought her home before our first anniversary. Our entire marriage has been a party of three.

Eh. I'm babbling. I hate nighttime. It gets too quiet and thoughtful.

Last edited:

Moondew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    BR
    WatchinR2.jpgpuppic.JPG

Cat
    My .02
    How about an English Setter. Not the usual type found here. Medium size, won't eat ya out of house and home. Energetic but likes to settle down with you when inside. Likes to be part of the family.

Great with kids, very even tempered. Very smart (mine learned to ring a bell on the door to go out within a day or so. )
    Mine gets along with the small dog in the house as well as the 6 cats! Gives the squirrels in the trees hell and loves to naturally stalk and point birds.

Very soft fur and seems to stay pretty clean. Prefers to "do her thing" in distant corners of the yard so "land mines" have not been a problem.

Seems to sense the presence of people or stray animals early and has no problem warning us that something is amiss, although she is friendly to kids and adults at the dog park or outdoor activities so no fear of attacking people in public.

You could pic one up that need rescueing
    http://www.esrescue.org/Available.html

Last edited:

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I work at 3 veterinary clinics in town and I will be beginning vet school at lsu in the fall so I have plenty of experience with many breeds. I have an English Bulldog and they are my personal favorite breed: lazy, goofy, loving, but very expensive. The next dog Ill get will be an American Bulldog. All the good qualities of the English but a little more active and defensive. Standard poodles make excellent dogs, but they must be groomed or their hair will get nasty. Depending on what you want out of a dog there are many breeds that can fill it. If you want something to guard the house thats on the rare side I recommend the Cane Corso, Caucasian Sheepdog, or Bullmastiff.

Seriously...... $2200 for a dadgum dog!!!

http://www.americanbulldogbreedersinlouisiana.com/#puppies_for_sale

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    After having a pit, a mastiff, and a saint bernard/german shepard mix growing up I ended up with these two highly trained attack dogs.

m8uau.jpg
    brNmM.jpg

Wife wanted a "small dog like a yorkie or something", so I got the smallest I could find. Got 2 just cause the ones in the past seem to behave better when there's more than 1 dog around, they bark at anything but are great with friends kids that come over and haven't bit anyone. Hard as hell to train em though, still haven't found a xxsmall pinch collar.

Last edited:

apso1857

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Crowley, LA
    Cat,

Ive owned quite a few breeds, and I've seen even more trained for law enforcement work. My personal pick would be a bandog (or bandogge). My personal dog, Hooch, is a cross between American Levitt Bulldog, English Mastiff (from working bloodline) and Whopper Pit Bull.

547926_416979461652054_100000200102182_1887749_1667770086_n.jpg

This is Hooch at about 7 months old shopping with me at Tractor Supply.

545244_416789498337717_100000200102182_1886653_1467747905_n.jpg

526348_416790785004255_100000200102182_1886656_802797162_n.jpg

This is Hooch at 9 months (approximately 90+ lbs) during his 3rd defensive training.

The primary factor in me deciding to get a bandog for my family is for their protection while I'm not home. Due to the many burglaries and home invasions, I wanted a pet that would at the minimum buy my fiance some time to get to her sidearm to stop the threat. Despite the training he's had sooo far, he's friendly with our kids, outside cats (we live in the country), our other dogs, and even our baby chickens and ducks. Heck, if anyone comes to the house and we introduce them to him, he tries to become your best friend. lol

If you decide you are interested, shoot me a PM and I can give you more info.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

See, I wouldn't own either one of those dogs, they have massive breathing problems. I got lucky with my boston, he doesn't have any of the breathing or sinus problems that are usually associated with the squishy face breeds.

Moondew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    BR
    German Shorthairs, Brittanys great dogs also. I personally would not have a potentially aggressive dog if there is a chance of lil kids and their friends or even your friends in the house. And keep in mind young 'uns will chew and big 'un with tails have a tendency of sweeping things off tables in the house.....

Keep researching...

Top Bottom