Firearms & Marijuana Do Not Go Together.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Reminder: Even Where It’s Legal, Marijuana Use Eliminates Your Gun Rights
    February 27, 2021

During the visit, Holmes led the investigators to a safe that contained a semi-automatic handgun. Holmes told the agents that his other 20 guns had been stolen along with his mother’s sport-utility vehicle when he left the vehicle running with the guns in the back seat, according to the prosecutor. He and his mother had reported those thefts to East Hartford police three days earlier.
    The agents told Holmes that his illegal use of marijuana made it illegal for him to possess guns, and they took possession of the semi-automatic handgun. Holmes filled out paperwork consenting to the “forfeiture” of the gun to the ATF.
    He pleaded guilty in October 2019 to possession of a firearm by an illegal user of a controlled substance.
    The two sides agreed at that time that federal sentencing guidelines called for Holmes to receive a sentence in the range of 10 to 16 months in prison, although a federal probation officer later computed a guideline range of 18 to 24 months’ imprisonment.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Reminder: Even Where It’s Legal, Marijuana Use Eliminates Your Gun Rights
    February 27, 2021

During the visit, Holmes led the investigators to a safe that contained a semi-automatic handgun. ...
    The agents told Holmes that his illegal use of marijuana made it illegal for him to possess guns, and they took possession of the semi-automatic handgun.

You state "Even Where It's Legal....", but the quoted language talked about his "illegal use". While marijuana is still illegal federally, when and how does that affect gun rights? Isn't a conviction required? Are the feds prosecuting people for marijuana use?

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Federal law says it is "illegal" regardless what any state or local law says. If the "feds" want to push it just remember "do the crime then do the time". ......................................... drill sgt.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    First off I do not smoke pot or condone smoking pot nor do I think it should be leagl to do so . That said if they put you in prison for Just having a gun in the safe and not on your person while under the influence they were looking really hard for an excuse to put you away for something they can't prove. Sounds more like a plea .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    There must be a weed problem when gun shops put up sign's like this one? This is on a door locally btw.

Attachments

• 20210225_145532.jpg
      20210225_145532.jpg
      245.7 KB · Views: 134

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    There must be a weed problem when gun shops put up sign's like this one? This is on a door locally btw.

Holy sh!t. This is a great sign. I know a great place for a sign just like this. Might just put it up tomorrow. If the sign doesn't work... may as well buy stock in Febreze.

I can hear it now: "Man, sheeit dat ain't me bruh. I dunt smoke no weed man" as ole saggy pants waddles out duh door.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Wait a minute whats going on here? What happened to any gun law is an infringement? Lol I’m not a smoker so it doesn’t bother me.

Damn now do I sound like the guys who said bump stocks were useless anyway? Lol

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Wait a minute whats going on here? What happened to any gun law is an infringement? Lol I’m not a smoker so it doesn’t bother me.

Damn now do I sound like the guys who said bump stocks were useless anyway? Lol
    Would you be for allowing heroin dealers to posses guns ?
    How about convicted murderers ? I believe the second protects law abiding citizens not criminals .

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    How about convicted murderers ? I believe the mk second protects law abiding citizens not criminals .

What would make you assume enough to ask me anything like that after reading my post? I think you were missing the sarcasm in my post?

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The latest 4473 (and many prior versions) has this question:

Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
    Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

If you check "no" to that box and you're lying, then you're guilty of a felony. Here's the fine print:

I also understand that making any false oral or written statement, or exhibiting any false or misrepresented identification with respect to this transaction, is a crime punishable as a felony under Federal law, and may also violate State and/or local law.

Mike

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    We all felonys if they drig test as far back as high school.

Read the question again carefully. It's worded in the present tense. I doubt the ATF cares about the toke you took 30 years ago in high school.

Here's a link to the actual article:

https://news.yahoo.com/east-hartford-man-gets-probation-160300215.html

Dude was regularly using marijuana and owned a gun, clearly in violation of federal law. He either lied on the 4473 or started smoking after he bought the gun ... but in any event it's a clear felony.

Mike

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I must have missed it for sure . The any gun law is an infringement question was the reason for my question .

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    How about convicted murderers ? I believe the second protects law abiding citizens not criminals .

Do the existing laws prevent heroin dealers or convicted murders from possessing guns?

I don't see this as an issue with our gun laws. It is an issue with our criminal justice system, as in why the hell are H dealers and convicted murders NOT in prison? And the failure of CJ system should NOT be used as an excuse to INFRINGE upon 2A rights!

Last edited:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Do the existing laws prevent heroin dealers or convicted murders from possessing guns?

I don't see this as an issue with our gun laws. It is an issue with our criminal justice system, as in why the hell are H dealers and convicted murders NOT in prison? And the failure of CJ system should NOT be used as an excuse to INFRINGE upon 2A rights!
    That's for sure ,I get mad every time the news story starts off " the gunman has 12 previous conversations " we need more prisons and less gun laws

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom