For Those into 1960s Mustangs - This is *AWESOME*

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stormrider54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dutchtown
    :bowrofl:
    DAMN YOU! Ever since I got my Dark Highland Green 01 Bullitt and watched Steve McQueen tear ass around San Francisco in his 68 I've wanted one to match...

Always wanted one myself. I think Bullit is going to be shown on AMC channel either in Jan. or Feb. GOTTA SEE IT AGAIN!!!!!!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Also of note: I checked out a Boss 302 at a locale Stealership while I was working nights last month... they tacked on a $10,000 "Market adjustment" on it. 10K price hike over MSRP for no damn reason. Wow.

Don't buy it from them, they can be had at and below sticker. ADM's are stupid on a mustang.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Just thought of something. I wonder if they used the new head architecture in the 5.8l. If so (and many are going to laugh when i say this), then its underpowered! The magic of the 5.0 is the head design and TiVCT. I havnt seen if the new shelby will incorporate the head design (outboard cams, port design, TiVCT) and the copperhead processor. I cannot imagine they wouldnt though! However, the 5.0 at 9 psi is rated at 624 bhp. So a 5.8l with the same blower (2.3l TVS eaton on cutaway shown at LVMS) at 8 psi is rated at 650 bhp? Something doesnt add up (especially since all numbers seem to be underrated by the calculator and 1/4 mile MPH and weight). Maybe they slowed the blower down more. Will be interesting to see.

I don't know, but I doubt they did. The 5.0 is a much different engine from the 5.4. They probably just increased the stroke and upped the boost and changed blowers.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    No risk of me buying it, don't worry! If I were going to drop 40K (which I don't have!) it'd be on the M3 sedan for sale down the road. Performance and practical, while my Bullitt is fast and handles great it causes ear bleeding and compression fractures of the spine.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I rarely say a car isnt or is worth it. Its worth what the owner will give for it and feel good about. I do believe that the current GT500 suspension is substandard (as do you) for the price and the motor design is archaic now. The new one should fix that if they utilized what theyve learned in the 5.0l. It isnt capable of the power it could be with better rods (and i believe the new one will have same limitation), but it does and will do what ford wants and designed it to do. It stirs souls for sure. I still pee a little when i see one, even though i could have one any time i wanted.

Side note, we really have jacked this poor thread....

I know I know, lol.

The GT500 is a nice looking car, but it's a bastard.

Ford created it (the S197) under old management that was bent on mediocrity of performance. New management took over and pulled Ford's head out its arse and freaked over how crappy the S197 was. Suspension was revised. Weight was shaved where it could be. However, the car was what it was at that point, and the porking huge size of it and the excessive weight and the archaic SRA (which also limits tire-size, in part, because of the manner in which the rear-axle shifts left and right when loaded and un-loaded which will push a tire into a fender-well...) were all in place.

Not a lot could be done except polishing of the turd, a killer new engine, and a transmission with more reasonable gear ratios. That was done, and it is magnificent (despite a few issues with the chi-com transmissions).

Stay tuned for when Ford re-does the mustang. It is going to morph from a pony-car into a true sports car. 5.0 GT owners are going to feel like 2010 GT owners when the '11s came out, when the new model hits, I bet.

For now, though, I am going to trade the Z06 for a 370Z Touring/Sport/NAV/6-speed because of the place I am moving to (lot less straights, more windy roads, no need/use for 505bhp, much nicer interior, less insurance, etc.) is more conducive to a car with a shorter wheel-base. The mustang was a consideration, but the chassis just doesn't excite me, and the interior is still pony-car instead of sports-car cockpit.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    No risk of me buying it, don't worry! If I were going to drop 40K (which I don't have!) it'd be on the M3 sedan for sale down the road. Performance and practical, while my Bullitt is fast and handles great it causes ear bleeding and compression fractures of the spine.

What mods did you do to the Bullitt to suffer this?
    I would be leery of an M3 out of warranty. BMW maintenance COSTS, and a lot of BMW's computer stuff is proprietary/locked. You WILL pay out the nose to have an older E92 serviced outside of warranty quite enough to offset any potential resale. A lot of the work you cannot do yourself, either, due to BMW's electronics. ///M parts = $$$ even if you DO do it yourself.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just thought of something. I wonder if they used the new head architecture in the 5.8l. If so (and many are going to laugh when i say this), then its underpowered! The magic of the 5.0 is the head design and TiVCT. I havnt seen if the new shelby will incorporate the head design (outboard cams, port design, TiVCT) and the copperhead processor. I cannot imagine they wouldnt though! However, the 5.0 at 9 psi is rated at 624 bhp. So a 5.8l with the same blower (2.3l TVS eaton on cutaway shown at LVMS) at 8 psi is rated at 650 bhp? Something doesnt add up (especially since all numbers seem to be underrated by the calculator and 1/4 mile MPH and weight). Maybe they slowed the blower down more. Will be interesting to see.

I can make some phone calls to check for details - though some will be told when the vehicle is released.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA

How do you like the way it sounds?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    How do you like the way it sounds?

Speaking of sound, you ever cold-crank an E92 M3? Sounds like it's about to fly apart. Similar to how a pushrod engine would sound if you loosened all the rocker arms a half-dozen turns and then cranked it. DEFINITELY a different sound than the 4.6L 2V, which sound great imo.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Jwg, your prolly right about the new one. And I'll do what I've done so many times. I'll pull the SC off mine, sell both, buy a new one and put a SC on it hahahaha! It's going to have to be alot though. Infant imagine them coming as far as they have since 04 in a short period again. I will admit, I could care less for IRS. I'm. It a corner carver so it'll have to be something else. Direct injection, and a couple of turbos on a 5.0 might do it for me :-D

Man, I could talk mustangs with intelligent people who understand what they are meant to be all day long.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Also of note: I checked out a Boss 302 at a locale Stealership while I was working nights last month... they tacked on a $10,000 "Market adjustment" on it. 10K price hike over MSRP for no damn reason. Wow.

All star wants 5k over for the two they've had (one now) and I agree. That's insane. I will not ever pay over sticker for a car.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    What Pangris and SVTFreak said +10000..These new cars are the s&*t! They are like I said earlier superior to any 60's-70's Muscle cars in every way. Last times I went to a regional or national Mustang show you can tell that times are a changin'. The newer cars easily outnumber the older first generation cars and even the Fox bodied cars are dwindling in numbers. Enthusiasts are enjoying the newer technology and don't have to work on them all the time like the older cars. Like I tell my buddies, its time to sell our old Shelbys and Bosses so we can have some REAL fun with the cars!

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Ford Racing shorty headers, Bassani X-Pipe with high flow cats, and SLP Catback combine to sound AMAZING, as long as you don't have a headache or take long trips. 70-80mph on the interstate is rough on the ears.

Suspension is welded full-length subframe connectors, H&R Super Sport springs, Koni struts/shocks, Maximum Motorsports camber plates, and some older brand that doesnt exist anymore upper and lower control arms. I think I'm swapping them soon for Maximum Motorsports lowers and factory uppers. revamping the whole rear with a panhard and torque arm is possible, want to do some autocrossing, unless I feel the car is limiting me I probably won't mess with it. It feels great in the corners but you pay for it in the potholes.

While I'm at it, powertrain is just a drop in K&N and the above exhaust mods, aluminum driveshaft and 3.73's. Put 265/300 to the ground and ran 13.2@104 with a horrible launch (week after I got the car 6 or 7 years ago, what did I know). Want a blower, goal is 400 to the ground.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Those h&r springs are your kidney killers. Swap em with some steeda sport springs and your ride will improve drastically. Won't be as low but to me it's worth it.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    mustang.gif

Mustang II w/Cobra II engine, water/alcohol injection, modified waste gate control for increased boost, Holly 500 cfm 2bbl, open exhaust (no muffler, the turbo kept her quiet enough until the waste gate opened, then she got LOUD!), tube control arms, durathane bushings, Cobra II sway bars, modified steering arms for quicker steering, Formula Ford Slicks on all 4 corners, fully gutted, fiberglass seat running SCCA E-Modified. She would light up those slicks in all 4 gears if ya weren't careful!

fepowered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Mustang II w/Cobra II engine,
    I only personally owned 1 Mustang II over the years but did motor changes in 2. I did a 4cyl automatic to V8 4 speed conversion for someone else using a donor car I picked up and I bought my Cobra II with a blown 302 motor. Once I discovered how much more room there was for the drivetrain in a Fox bodied Mustang/Capri, I stuck with that platform for my newer builds although I wish I had kept that Cobra II as I don't see them around here any more.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I probably won't swap the springs unless theres a definite handling increase with another brand compared to the H&R's. It's never going to be a road trip car, we have an 08 Mountaineer for that job. I drive it maybe 4 or 5 times a month at the most. When we decide to have a kid, thats just an excuse to buy another car! Then will come the debate...3 series seems to win that most times I think about it

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    If anyone is thinking about building a car or racing one, you better have it done before you have your kids...UNLESS you got plenty of money to hire people to do your build. Just saying.....I insisted that I get my car done before we had our first kid and I'm glad I stuck to my guns..I love my kids and just don't have much time to play with big boy toys much after you start raising them. Mine are finally old enough to where I can start doing things again....working on a '66 Mustang coupe for them and the wife now.

Top Bottom