Garfish

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johngunguy

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    LEANDER, TEXAS
    I am in the Slidell area and looking for a place that has a large population of garfish to fish for. Don't mind driving a ways for a good spot, bank fishing is what I do. Don't have a boat.

Got my mind set on some garfish balls.

Thanks

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lake Pontchartrain and Maurepas have alligator gar. If you can drive up to the bank at night without being rousted, I would try there. String a big mullet on your wire leader, tie it on, sling it out on the bottom and wait. Set your clicker or you will lose your rod. Don't ask me how I know.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    check if Alligator Bayou still has a public launch. It is right at the EBR/ASC line and the bar itself has just had some liability set backs with a violent attack over a late night fight. but if you can get back behind the bar/event center in your own boat, you won't ever need for more gar. You can pick them up out of low water back there. hundreds of them all sizes if the water is still good.

johngunguy

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    LEANDER, TEXAS
    Thanks for the suggestions. tbone, that is the rig I am using. A fellow that fishes the bayou here in Slidell showed my buddy his rig and caught a few. They haven't been biting the last week or so here.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    When I was a kid, the entire neihgborhood garfished at night. Sometimes 20 of us at the concrete breakwater at the Point by West End Park. Some nights we caught over 25. Biggest ones were well over 5 feet, pushing 200 lbs. What a blast! I would estimate that I alone have probably caught at least 100 on what we referred to as "Gar Poles" over my teenage years of garfishing.

Penn 209 with 40-50lbs test on a boat stick rod that was short enough to cast. Leader was Sevinstrand usually 100-150lb. test with (2 or 3) 3oz egg sinkers and a nice size carlisle. I still have my original set up. Can cast it about 60 yards. Really is an art form.

Nonetheless, I am sure the conditions are still ripe for them in Lake Ponchartrain. If you can cast your rig at least 30 yards you can clear most rock jetties. All along Lakeshore Drive in N.O. should do. But if I were in Slidell, I would in fact try Eden Ilses and the canals leading to it. Also, Bayou Sauvage where it meets the Chef or Rigolets. The canal behind Ft. McComb. Should be full of nice size gar.

Here is your tip of the day. If you go during the day, use a cork (a "real" cork crab float) float your bait about 2-3 feet below(garfish love to bask and gulp oxygen), and go in a marina or less flowing water; if at night go on the bottom.

I would love to go do that again one day and show my kids how cool all of that was.

johngunguy

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    LEANDER, TEXAS
    Sounds great. Some good suggestions. My buddy and I will try these out. We haven't tried at night yet but with the heat during the day we have talked about it.

thanks

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Its been 30 years since I've personally been there, but there were large
    alligator gar in the canals on the Lake Maurepas side of Manchac-- had a boat, but I think there were places
    you could get to. It's worth a scouting trip to eat at Middendorf's and have a look-see.

Under a cork during the day.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    They bite best in late afternoon, just before the sun goes down, from my experience.

If you catch any over 80lbs...please let them go! There's an endless supply of 3-50lb Gar, but the really big ones are getting rare and we don't have many "River Monsters" anymore.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    The eden isles canals have some big ones.

Good to know... I am moving about 1/2 mile down from eden isles in August.

John you are welcome to come down once I get settled... maybe you could show me a thing or two about fishing

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    The Madisonville Gar Rodeo is next weekend (29th-31st) based out of lake rd in madisonville. Usually the largest ones come from over in the Maurepas area.

johngunguy

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    LEANDER, TEXAS
    Well we did go and stayed about three hours. Only got one little one but it won't go to waste. Let momma bring him in, wished he she could have gotten a bigger one that would have put up a fight. It was really nice out at the park tonight, the rain cooled things off and the mosquitoes weren't too bad.

IMG_9703.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom