Good antivirus software?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Just bought a new laptop and having to dig up my past nerd to get back into the lingo of the computer world and getting updated on the latest and greatest. I want this computer to last a little while so what's the hot antivirus software on the market? AVG was popular a little while back; I refuse to use Norton or McAfee. Any suggestions are welcome.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    When I called AVG to get info on buying commercial-grade stuff everyone I spoke to had a Russian accent. It was weird. Then they sold me the wrong product to the tune of $350, and refused to refund my money.

Go with Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, and it's probably the best on the market.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Comodo Firewall
    Avast! Antivirus

Both free. I run Spybot Search and Destroy monthly and I haven't had a single virus or spyware in over 3 years.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    microsoft security essentials, avg, avast, avira are good ones.

couple them with cleanup!, spybot S&D and malwarebytes and you should stay clean.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Funny you should bring this up. I just installed Win7 and am surfing while installing MS security essentials (different computer) and windows updates. I guess I'll be spending the next week installing software...

+1 for MS and Malwarebytes.

crewdawg

F-15 Eagle Crew Chief
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Amite, LA
    Just remember that if you use an Anti-Virus program, only use one. Having more than one AV/AS software on your computer makes it less protected than if you only had one.

Note: Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes do not count as one of these Anti-Virus programs so they're ok to have at the same time as a regular AV/AS program.

Bradb4178

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Ruston / Baton Rouge
    I use the Norton line of software and it stops everything that comes in from a virus(which i have never had one come in) to tracking cookies. Its not to expensive,you just pay yearly, and they have all different models to suit your needs.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I use the Norton line of software and it stops everything that comes in from a virus(which i have never had one come in) to tracking cookies. Its not to expensive,you just pay yearly, and they have all different models to suit your needs.

I have never been impressed with Norton. The programs in the past have caused more grief than the viruses themselves it seems.

avast and spybot SD all the way if you want the free way.
    Buy a Mac if you want the expensive way out.

Ha funny you mention that, I did check out Macs todauy- but couldn't justify the cost right now. For their netbook model, and the equivalent to my Gateway LT netbook internally, was just under a grand. I paid $300 for my netbook. nooo thanks.

crewdawg

F-15 Eagle Crew Chief
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Amite, LA
    Just remember that no matter which Anti-Virus program you decide to go with, none of them are 100% effective. An Anti-Virus is like a Seatbelt. If you get in a wreck, wearing a seatbelt will most likely save your life, but depending on the severity of the wreck, you can still get hurt pretty badly and even fatally. An Anti-Virus is going to protect you from most of the malware out there, but depending on the severity of the malware, how often you update your computer (updates, flash, java, etc.), which websites you browse to, clicking on links, etc. you can still get infected.

I've seen systems infected with all type of malware with every major brand of Anti-Virus "protecting" the system. Even ESET's famed NOD32. An Anti-Virus program is a good foundation to keep your computer clean, but is not the end all-be all to do so.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    AVG last two years, no problems...also have the AVG tune up thing, no complaints. I came from Norton and it was not compatable with something...I think Windows Live Mail, always a problem.

Another point, when I went to AVG from nortons I got the name AVG here...where today there several names including MS, when I asked the answer was overwhelming for AVG. Things change fast in the inter web world web net.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Just remember that no matter which Anti-Virus program you decide to go with, none of them are 100% effective. An Anti-Virus is like a Seatbelt. If you get in a wreck, wearing a seatbelt will most likely save your life, but depending on the severity of the wreck, you can still get hurt pretty badly and even fatally. An Anti-Virus is going to protect you from most of the malware out there, but depending on the severity of the malware, how often you update your computer (updates, flash, java, etc.), which websites you browse to, clicking on links, etc. you can still get infected.

I've seen systems infected with all type of malware with every major brand of Anti-Virus "protecting" the system. Even ESET's famed NOD32. An Anti-Virus program is a good foundation to keep your computer clean, but is not the end all-be all to do so.

oh yea, believe me I know that better than anyone lol. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any new hot programs on the market; MS was about the only one I am not too familiar with

AVG last two years, no problems...also have the AVG tune up thing, no complaints. I came from Norton and it was not compatable with something...I think Windows Live Mail, always a problem.

Another point, when I went to AVG from nortons I got the name AVG here...where today there several names including MS, when I asked the answer was overwhelming for AVG. Things change fast in the inter web world web net.

yea AVG has been a top program for years. I used it at one point. the computers at work use it I think

Top Bottom