Help Building 1st AR-15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjacobs

SouthernLife
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Hello all, I am finally about to start building my 1st AR-15. I am new to this, so please take it easy on me if I sound a little ignorant to the terminology and overall knowledge of this process. FYI, I am building this rifle for hog hunting and playing at the range. I main needs are accuracy, smooth trigger, and I want the thing to look badass! I also want to build a quality rifle the first time rather than buying crap and then having to build something better later. I would like to stay under $800 for the total build (minus the scope). So I'm looking opinions on receivers, kits, etc. I think I need to start with the lower receiver first. So, what is the best lower receiver to purchase?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    How far do you intend on shooting?

You can get away with spending less than $800 if you do your homework. I suggest you research more specific terms, based on what you are looking for. So far, all I see if you want the best AR you can get for under $800.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    To start with, what caliber are you looking at? Personally I wouldn’t use a 5.56mm on hogs. While I haven’t gotten any hogs in my sights yet, on beavers the 5.56 was taking multiple rounds while the 6.5 Grendel & .300 Blackout (125 grain supersonic) were one shot stoppers. Possible rounds for the AR-15 platform are .257 RAPTOR, 6x35, 6mmBR, 6x45, 6mm PPC, 6mm Whisper, 6.5 Whisper, .264 LBC-AR, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 7 RAPTOR, 7mm Whisper, 7mm Fireball, 300 Blackout, 30 Remington AR, .30 Walker, 300 Whisper, 300 Fireball, 7.62x40 WT, 338 Whisper, .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, .499 L-W, .50 Beowulf. You’ll have to reload for most of these as they aren’t mainstream cartridges. I will say the .50 Beowulf is really a hoot and I’ve hit the dinger at 400 yards! Another thing to consider is the magazine; some rounds use standard mags whereas need special mags.

Do you plan on going suppressed? A can will make the rifle quieter, but unless you go subsonic it won’t be silent. Subsonic will limit your caliber choices somewhat and remember less velocity means less impact energy.

What barrel length? 16, 18, 20, 24?

I have installed a couple of Jard 3# triggers and have been very happy with them. There are many other quality triggers available.

If you’re in the Shreveport/Bossier area, I’ll be happy to help you out. I’ve got all the tools.

DStewart

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    New Orleans
    I have built my fair share of rifles but not near as many as some on this site. Many may not agree with me, but the "best" lower receiver is really a waste, for what you stated its intended purpose. Get a normal priced one for around 100-120 that is a good name brand (I mean I have used countless Anderson lowers honestly and they are less than 100). Get a quality barrel, (BCM and Rainer arms are my favorites). For 200 yards, you wont really need an expensive trigger, I honestly would get a lower build kit and run that trigger, most are actually pretty good. If you are going to hunt hogs, I would get a 1/7 twist rate so that you could run heavier rounds.

Just my 2 cents.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    You can probably buy a rifle with all the items you want, than building one. Usually a budget build ends up using low end parts to meet the price. You can get an M&P15 for 800.

I stock and LPK can set you back 150 bucks, lower add 100, upper 100, barrel 300, trigger 100, handguards 200. It adds up fast. Still need a BCG and charging handle.

Now if you want a budget rifle, you can just get a PSA rifle "kit" and a blem lower. If you want a "precision" build, be prepared to shell out some bucks. Tighter tolerances, and higher quality control adds to cost, but also builds a more precise tool.

cjacobs

SouthernLife
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I have built my fair share of rifles but not near as many as some on this site. Many may not agree with me, but the "best" lower receiver is really a waste, for what you stated its intended purpose. Get a normal priced one for around 100-120 that is a good name brand (I mean I have used countless Anderson lowers honestly and they are less than 100). Get a quality barrel, (BCM and Rainer arms are my favorites). For 200 yards, you wont really need an expensive trigger, I honestly would get a lower build kit and run that trigger, most are actually pretty good. If you are going to hunt hogs, I would get a 1/7 twist rate so that you could run heavier rounds.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks a bunch! This is the info I'm looking for. I did some research and found a lower receiver (Anderson Manufacturing Stripped Lower 7075-T6 Multi-Cal) for $49.99. Let me know your thoughts on it. I know I want to get the timney 3lb trigger. But other than that, I just want good mil-spec parts at bargain prices like I found the lower receiver. And a good hand rail that I can attach accessories such as lights, bipods, occasionally a gopro, etc.

Last edited:

cjacobs

SouthernLife
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Picture won't upload but it's the Anderson Manufacturing Stripped Lower 7075-T6 Multi-Cal Lower Receiver for $49.99.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You want to spend 25+% budget on your trigger? Bad idea. Barrel should be you #1 expense. If you're around hammond interstate guns has good prices on DD barrels.

Last edited:

cjacobs

SouthernLife
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Yeah because I love that trigger. If I need to take my time and increase my budget more then I will. I know I want that trigger and I have been looking at the Wilson Combat match grade stainless fluted barrel (I know it's expensive but I like it). I really need helping picking the lower receiver, LPK, upper, and all that other stuff. The only 2 things I know for sure I want are the timney trigger and the stainless fluted barrel. I'm not even including the barrel in my budget at this point because I know the one I want is going to cost me.

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I think you should just scrap the whole idea of owning an AR, whether you build it or buy one. They'll be no ammo available to shoot through it at the end of March. :mamoru:

Top Bottom