Hit and run on a dog?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    A lot of you miss that. WHen I say, "If it was me..." that is when I am saying what in my opinion should happen, and that is most likely based on personal experience of having done it prior or something similar, even if I may not specifically say that for purposes contained within the 5th amendment. Otherwise I am giving possible, and sometimes probable, outcomes, based on my experience and education.

Your milage may and most likely does vary.

Possible and sometimes probable outcomes based on your experience and education? That sounds a lot like...an OPINION. I don't think anyone has trouble differentiating your opinions from fact...but you.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Hitting a parked car that is stationary and worth $$$ is a world apart from hitting a dog that runs into your path.

Not according to the law. Please reference where in LRS-14:100 it makes any mention about the value of the property involved being an exception to not stopping being an operative clause of the crime?

Furthermore, some people's dogs are worth more than some people's car.

The example was to make the comparison, that the actual property is irreleavnt. Also, the relative "illegality" of how the collision came to be is irrelevant.

It is simply the failure to stop when there is injury or property damage that makes it a crime. The fact that some LEO may not pursue charges based on the circumstances in which you articulate to him why you did not stop, does not make the act any less illegal. It would simply be an example of how sometimes officer discretion can work in your favor when it is applied appropriately.

ETA- In response to the added parts of your post. That is probably due to the fact that a dead dog generally does not have the same "value" to people as their car does....that is sad but true statement. Therefore, it is not reported as often. Also, having answered cars of hit and run dogs, the same evidence transfer does not happen, thus making "solving the case" much more difficult and therefore less likely. I would also offer that in the ladder of criminal priority, dead dogs hit in the middle of the night with no clear suspect will not be worked like a hit automobile. That I know for a FACT from personal experience. They probably fall right below slashed tires and right above someone toilet papering your yard. I again submit, that just because neither you or I necessarily know of a case does not mean it has not or will not happen. These are relatively minor crimes, also property crimes, and therefore will generally not be cited as "case law."

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Possible and sometimes probable outcomes based on your experience and education? That sounds a lot like...an OPINION. I don't think anyone has trouble differentiating your opinions from fact...but you.

Well, it is obvious that you would rather make smart ass comments against me rather than have an actual discussion about the OP or relevant topics. Obviously you do place any value in my background. Some do, some do not. However, I am willing to bet, that on this specific topic, I have just a smidgen more experience and education to base my "opinons" on (which you might want to look up the definition of BTW).

The fact that I actually called it my opinion in the statement you quoted would be clear to most people, but I see you sometimes have problems seeing that which is clearly laid before you, as if your repeated reposting of that which I have already stated somehow makes it your original idea.

ANyway, have fun with your personal insults. If you have any factual citations, personal experience, or education to refute the legal text I have posted, please feel free.

12secHemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Alexandria, LA
    Even if the dog owner should get your plate number and call the police, what the responding officer would probably tell the owner was he had more important calls and I wouldn't count on him to canvas the neighborhood for a car with a bloody undercarriage. Yeah, FiFi was a good dog only not too smart and the pound is full of replacements. C'mon Nola, if we need a copy and paste of every Louisiana ordinance we can Google it. It's really a bit much.

Jack

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    If my dog was improperly leashed and ran out into the road, I'd be glad they didn't stop after hitting him. WTF is it going to accomplish? Am I gonna demand a hug and an apology? I'd just be happy I didn't have to pay for their car repairs, considering I am at fault for not keeping my stupid dog contained.

BINGO!!!!

Cruelty to animals? I'm an animal lover but damn. That's a stretch. But next time I hit a squirrel, I'll be sure to call DWLF. ;)

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Even if the dog owner should get your plate number and call the police, what the responding officer would probably tell the owner was he had more important calls and I wouldn't count on him to canvas the neighborhood for a car with a bloody undercarriage. Yeah, FiFi was a good dog only not too smart and the pound is full of replacements. C'mon Nola, if we need a copy and paste of every Louisiana ordinance we can Google it. It's really a bit much.

Jack

OK, if you say so. I have no idea what I am talking about. You guys believe what you want.

Hit and run is hit and run. It does not matter if it was your dog, mailbox, kid, car, whatever.

the failure to stop is the crime. You guys are too wrapped around the whole "you and your dog are both stupid" argument to see the original and important part of the initial discusion.

BTW...I post the actual laws when possible so that those who actually care about facts can see them for themselves instead of going off their whole it's illegal to drive barefoot" assumptions about law.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, it is obvious that you would rather make smart ass comments against me rather than have an actual discussion about the OP or relevant topics. Obviously you do place any value in my background. Some do, some do not. However, I am willing to bet, that on this specific topic, I have just a smidgen more experience and education to base my "opinons" on (which you might want to look up the definition of BTW).

The fact that I actually called it my opinion in the statement you quoted would be clear to most people, but I see you sometimes have problems seeing that which is clearly laid before you, as if your repeated reposting of that which I have already stated somehow makes it your original idea.

ANyway, have fun with your personal insults. If you have any factual citations, personal experience, or education to refute the legal text I have posted, please feel free.

There's nothing to refute. You posted a law that, in your opinion, would be relevant. And then, tapping into your vast base of knowledge and experience, gave your opinion on what could happen given a set of circumstances. My opinion differs. And there's no actual case law to prove either of us right. The only difference is you place way too much value on your opinion and try to pass it off as fact.

But, that's just my opinion of your opinion.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Nola, I realize this is a dog and not a horse but you may need to visit the livestock laws. I think it's clarified moreso there.

My father has had horses for years. It's clearly defined. If anything dogs are viewed as a road hazard to the driver. Or have you forgotten DMV drivers ed 101? Don't Swerve!

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Legal to run or not, I would've stopped even if only to check and see if the dog was still alive and if I thought it could be saved or not. I would like to think there are others that would do that for my dog.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    The way I read this, you are saying that 14:100 applies to running over a dog in the road right-of-way and not stopping, and is therefore a chargeable offense?

Tell me I'm wrong. Please. Because if you truly believe that, well...

That is spot on to what he's saying.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    If, indeed, the errant dog is "property" on public roads, not in the control of the owner, said owner is liable for the chargeable offense of littering.

D@mmit, is there no way to turn off quotes? I feel dumber for having stumbled into this thread.

DramaCritic

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Google search did reveal a few cases...of people getting the **** beat out of them after hitting a dog and stopping to help.

I am disappoint that you are not have the wisdom for understadng Honorable Nolacopusmc. He is experrt, and is on video to be confirm this truth.

You that are not be expert should be quick to listen with ear to master.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    [video=dailymotion;x190e6]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x190e6_let-s-all-go-to-the-lobby-intermiss_shortfilms[/video]

Last edited:

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    I am disappoint that you are not have the wisdom for understadng Honorable Nolacopusmc. He is experrt, and is on video to be confirm this truth.

You that are not be expert should be quick to listen with ear to master
    Does not compute. Pressing "1"

I personally had a similar instance. I had just moved into a house in BR on Nicholson Dr. I had a lab which had just put into a large back yard (approx 1 acre) contained by a cyclone fence by a roommate. At the time I realized he was in the fence (10-15 mins tops), prior to my checking the perimeter of the fence, I ran outside to make sure he was still contained. I did not immediately see him and began to call him.

After 10-15 seconds of calling him with no response, I ran to the front of the house while proceeding to call him. He had heard me and was coming to me as he was trained to do. I then witnessed a middle aged woman in an SUV speeding (yes, appearing to me over the posted speed limit as so many do) down Nicholson run over him. No honk, no swerve, no brake lights, no "oh ****"....

I was heartbroken as he laid in the street looking at me with blood draining from his mouth. I was disgusted that someone could do such a thing (and still am). I picked him up and moved him into the median where he died at my feet.

He had been a house pet prior to this and looks to have peeled the fence away from the gate with his teeth. I take full responsibility for what happened but do not know much I could have done to prevent it. By no means was he a "stupid dog." He was a companion much more than a random stray out in the woods as some have mentioned.

I would stop. Maybe not before this, but definitely now. It would've meant a lot to me if she had done the same. I understand accidents happen and did not call to report anything. Not sure if I would do anything differently today.

Top Bottom