Home Protection

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    The dog and my yelling are the warnings, anyone that can't id themselves and are still in the house are not welcome are open season.

**Insert** If they are armed and/or dangerous. My house is not the wild west.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I wouldn't want to be testing it against some big ole fella that is pissed off because I shot him with birdshot.

Shoot him until he's no longer pissed off.

Bird shot dissipates energy more quickly. It doesn't penetrate enough consistantly.

In my case, it would not matter from my bed to my bedroom door.

Think about it.... If it won't go through a wall, will it really penetrate enough bad guy?

At close range, it will shred a chest cavity- or a face. FWIW, most SD shootings occur at a distance of less than 16ft.

But like I said, it's all good; just my opinion. What may be best for me I certainly couldn't say is best for you or anyone else. Hell- I myself keep multiple pistols AND long guns ready should such a problem occur- and think everyone should.

All I've trying to say is that for some, birdshot can indeed be a good option for close range defense- especially for those living in apartments, ect. where there is a greater chance of collateral damage..... Just my .02....

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    I have no problem with someone using a 20 gauge or even a properly thought out .410. But if a bullet won't penetrate flimsy sheetrock, how is it going to penetrate enough bad guy?

Amazing you brought that up since I didn't. Thanks for reading my post. I'm pretty dang sure that 000 buck in either shotgun will happily penetrate enough to put someone on their home invading asses.

FD807

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Geismar La.
    My opinion is any weapon of sufficient caliber is good for home defense pick one you like and practice practice practice and if you can take a class and train. Ive talked to many people that say yea I've got a gun for HD but I haven't shot it
    in over a year , you need to be proficient enough to be able to handle your
    Weapon in you're sleep because at 2am that's pretty much what's gonna happen

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Birdshot has been beat to death. Yes if you shoot someone as very close range at has enough collective mass (while still in the cup) to do some damage. But after the pellets start to leave the cup then they each hit as individual little bullets and don't penetrate much more than the skin. At what range does birdshot end being in the lethal category and move into the inflicting pain category? I guess that would depend on the choke on the shotgun and the gauge being used. This has been very well documented and proven. I have personally observed the effects of birdshot, twice. Both times it pissed the guy off and made him run away. They were not critically injured. LSP972 has personally seen some lethal shootings with birdshot. But you're far more likely to **** someone off than kill them with birdshot.

Dave

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I refuse to put a light on my pistol. Flashlights work both ways if your opponent is armed. I have a hall leading to my bedroom, I keep my bright flashlight set on strobe to roll into the hallway for the distraction, and my 20 ga with buckshot in the first shot and a slug if they are still feeling sprite.
    The light on my gun is bright enough to illuminate an entire room while pointing it at the floor.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    May I suggest the 870 express magnum? IF ya miss them it will still UGLY them to death!!

8703.jpg

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    Birdshot has been beat to death. Yes if you shoot someone as very close range at has enough collective mass (while still in the cup) to do some damage. But after the pellets start to leave the cup then they each hit as individual little bullets and don't penetrate much more than the skin. At what range does birdshot end being in the lethal category and move into the inflicting pain category? I guess that would depend on the choke on the shotgun and the gauge being used. This has been very well documented and proven. I have personally observed the effects of birdshot, twice. Both times it pissed the guy off and made him run away. They were not critically injured. LSP972 has personally seen some lethal shootings with birdshot. But you're far more likely to **** someone off than kill them with birdshot.

Dave

Although I have never seen the effect on human flesh, and pray I never do I agree with birdshot being a bad idea. Managed a shot on a armadillo a couple of years back with a 12ga with birdshot. Turned it's whole side red but it still ran off. Shot was only about 10 or 15 yards. I believe it was a mod. choke.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Reading all these posts reminds me of a story I wish to share with everyone.

A couple years ago, while staying at my wife's apartment, she and I were sound asleep in her bed at 2:30AM. As most of you already know, we're both deaf. Suddenly, I'm awoken by a very bright flashlight shining in my face from the bedroom doorway. It took me a second or two to realize it was not the infamous "light at the end of the tunnel". When I realized it was a cop, I immediately raised my hands and shouted, "we're both deaf. Let me turn on the lamp and get my hearing aid." Once I did that and woke up the soon-panicky wife, he informed us that his department got a 911 call from this apartment. I jump out of bed, completely naked, ran into him, knocking him aside, to check on the kids. Once I saw the kids were okay, I got dressed and asked him what the heck was going on (I didn't put it that nicely, though). He again informed us that he got a medical 911 call from this apartment. I said, "she and I were sleeping and the kids are okay. That call didn't come from here." Now, this police officer, who is supposed to represent professionalism, said, "oh ****. I got the wrong apartment." Without missing a beat, wife said, "and how did you get into the wrong apartment?" He looked at her with kind of heavy eyes and said, "I kicked the door down."

Well, at this point I realized that someone in the complex made a medical 911 call and he needs to go find out what apartment it was. He did find it quickly and was able to save the tenant. Turns out, he had been banging on all of our windows and doors, very loudly, for more than 20 minutes before he kicked the door in. Yet, the wife and I never heard anything. Nothing.

So, if a BG wants to break into our house now.... while we're sleeping....

We're screwed.

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans

A couple years ago, while staying at my wife's apartment, she and I were sound asleep in her bed at 2:30AM. As most of you already know, we're both deaf. Suddenly, I'm awoken by a very bright flashlight shining in my face from the bedroom doorway. It took me a second or two to realize it was not the infamous "light at the end of the tunnel". When I realized it was a cop, I immediately raised my hands and shouted, "we're both deaf. Let me turn on the lamp and get my hearing aid." Once I did that and woke up the soon-panicky wife, he informed us that his department got a 911 call from this apartment. I jump out of bed, completely naked, ran into him, knocking him aside, to check on the kids. Once I saw the kids were okay, I got dressed and asked him what the heck was going on (I didn't put it that nicely, though). He again informed us that he got a medical 911 call from this apartment. I said, "she and I were sleeping and the kids are okay. That call didn't come from here." Now, this police officer, who is supposed to represent professionalism, said, "oh ****. I got the wrong apartment." Without missing a beat, wife said, "and how did you get into the wrong apartment?" He looked at her with kind of heavy eyes and said, "I kicked the door down."

Well, at this point I realized that someone in the complex made a medical 911 call and he needs to go find out what apartment it was. He did find it quickly and was able to save the tenant. Turns out, he had been banging on all of our windows and doors, very loudly, for more than 20 minutes before he kicked the door in. Yet, the wife and I never heard anything. Nothing.

We're screwed.

Did you ever try to train a dog? JW not trying to intrude.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I have no problem with someone using a 20 gauge or even a properly thought out .410. But if a bullet won't penetrate flimsy sheetrock, how is it going to penetrate enough bad guy?

Amazing you brought that up since I didn't. Thanks for reading my post. I'm pretty dang sure that 000 buck in either shotgun will happily penetrate enough to put someone on their home invading asses.

Sorry. I was agreeing with you, but I had a thought on another post. It accidentally got lumped in with my response to your post. :o

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Did you ever try to train a dog? JW not trying to intrude.

Thought about it many times, and still do. I really would love to have a Boston Terrier that would alert me to every noise that doesn't sound right, but I know NOTHING about training dogs. I'm actually scared of the work that sounds like it'll take.

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    Thought about it many times, and still do. I really would love to have a Boston Terrier that would alert me to every noise that doesn't sound right, but I know NOTHING about training dogs. I'm actually scared of the work that sounds like it'll take.

I would get a dog known for it's ability to pick up on new tasks. My mother has a Belgian version on a Germain Shepherd and I have a border collie. Both are very smart and protective but my dog is 30 lbs lighter. Caesar Milan actually has really good research about "pack leader mentality" but training it professionally is good too. Granted a dog is more work than a gun but another brain is always better. Off topic.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball

We're screwed.
    Man the sounds REALLY scary to me. I know it may be expensive but maybe a bright flashing light for alarm with vabration wrist device or something?? I feel for you brother and the thought of waking up like that without a clue scares the crap outta me.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Man the sounds REALLY scary to me. I know it may be expensive but maybe a bright flashing light for alarm with vabration wrist device or something?? I feel for you brother and the thought of waking up like that without a clue scares the crap outta me.

Well, when you said that..... I'm reminded that home security companies are required by the ADA to install strobe lights (or something similar). Well, that quickly solves my problem!

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Well, when you said that..... I'm reminded that home security companies are required by the ADA to install strobe lights (or something similar). Well, that quickly solves my problem!
    I hope so ! Give them a call tomorrow and I hope you never have to deal with exp like that again.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The fire alarms in my old college dorm had to have strobe lights for deaf people. I always wondered why since those strobe lights were in the hallway not in the dorm rooms. I know you'd need to know about it the hallway and bathrooms but in bed might be a good place to find out the fire alarm is going off as well. But the question I have now is this. Those speakers were loud enough that I could feel them in my chest when they were going off. I not saying this is a solution but would something was so loud you could feel wake you up? I mean it'd **** the neighbors off. :)

Dave

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Or maybe some kind of pager or something on a watch band? One that vibrates.
    +1 on a good dog. Doesn't matter what kind, just well trained. I bet the seeing eye people could help you. The parish human services people may even help you cover some of the expenses, or get your doctor to prescribe it and possibly your health insurance might pick up some.

No facts on this but I'd bet bird shot, just like .22LR, kill a lot of people every year. I'd also bet it doesn't stop a lot of people. Criminals are not going to go to the hospital to get bird shot picked out. They get infected and die. So, yes, they were killed by bird shot or a .22 short or... again, still not the best choice. Take the time to read the link I posted earlier. Or pick up some 2x4 and sheetrock or even some old wet phone books and head to the range and try it.

We used to shoot skeet out behind the UNO Arena. Sometimes the baseball team would be running in our 'impact area'. It was fun to watch them hit the dirt when the #8 shot started falling on them a hundred yards out. Scared a few but no one even had a scratch.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I could not trust birdshot for HD. Can is be effective inside 10 feet? Yes but if the guy is wearing a heavy motorcycle leather jacket it might not be...One round of buckshot to the chest center mass is a sure thing. Very few people survive that kind of damage. It doesn't leave much chance for the guy to lay on the ground shooting at you. rifle would be my second but handguns have had to many keep pulling the trigger until target is down senerio for me to want to use that close. I wouldn't want the guy to be able to shoot back and want to make in as unfair as possible. That said a double tap of buckshot works better and hell why not one more while he's on the ground cuz he raised his arm quickly. But I've always been a pisol keeps you alive long enough to get to a long gun kinda guy. There is a reason most LE if going into a senerio where they KNOW shots will be fired they bring a long gun. But again just my opinion and in no way trying to shove my POV down someone elses throat.

Top Bottom