Honey Island Plate Rack

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    HEY ! Nice to put a face to a name here. The pistol RO seemed cool with everything, I must have missed the Boss. I actually liked your targets, thought they broke down vitals pretty well.

Yeah, I'm good friends with the RO who was by us. That's why I didn't press the issue any further. He was just as confused as i was with this new ruling. That and not wanting to hear **** from the wife on the ride home. Lol

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Funny, I've been going to the Honey Island range since the mid 80's and have never had a problem. I shoot rifles on the rifle side, pistols in the pistol area, and rimfire in the rimfire area. I've shoot the shotgun portion maybe three times.

Oh well, I guess folks will complain about anything.

Because the public servants of the forum really want to go out and find things to complain on :rolleyes:

I am glad you have good experiences, and I never said all of mine were negative. However, RO quality makes or breaks the experience there.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Yeah, some of those guys are real class acts. I rolled up in the police parking area with my cool car and before I could get out the car they were yelling at me telling me that it's the police parking area blah blah blah. After the guy stopped yelling and I showed my ID he continued to argue with me telling me my agency does not issue that model vehicle and call me a liar. It got straightened out, but seriously, I've had a few bad experiences there. If I was being an ******* to people, sure, I'll take my lumps. However, the only time I ever got indignant with those folks was after they called the rifle line hot while I was still downrange repairing a steel target.

JR1572

The car thing sounds like someone wanted to flex their muscle. The hot line incident should have gotten someone sent home, for good.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Funny, I've been going to the Honey Island range since the mid 80's and have never had a problem. I shoot rifles on the rifle side, pistols in the pistol area, and rimfire in the rimfire area. I've shoot the shotgun portion maybe three times.

Oh well, I guess folks will complain about anything.

No, folks won't complain about anything. Way to be passive aggressive. Folks are complaining about a very specific issue that has now affected multiple members of this site.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I think you get what you pay for. Honey Island is by far the cheapest place to shoot around here, because the staff is volunteer. And when you have volunteer staff, well apparently you get a bunch of crotchety old guys and a complete lack of any consistent management. And crappy equipment to shoot at. If they hired paid staff and the price quadrupled, I'm sure a different group of people would stop going because of that as well. So I get it, and take it for what it's worth. I think the real frustrating thing is that there are no good alternatives anywhere in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I think you get what you pay for. Honey Island is by far the cheapest place to shoot around here, because the staff is volunteer. And when you have volunteer staff, well apparently you get a bunch of crotchety old guys and a complete lack of any consistent management. And crappy equipment to shoot at. If they hired paid staff and the price quadrupled, I'm sure a different group of people would stop going because of that as well. So I get it, and take it for what it's worth. I think the real frustrating thing is that there are no good alternatives anywhere in the area.

They have improved the range significantly compared to years past.

Shotgun Range
    The manual throwers are gone and there are now four electronic throwers (3 clay & 1 rabbit). Not sure if there is a new fee or not, but I haven't seen folks bringing clays. It would be neat if they were provided, but I'm unsure. I did see this online "Sporting Clay Shooters $3.00 per 25 rounds of birdshot (in addition to the Gate Fee)"

Rifle Range
    The 100 yard hanging plates were changed to static plates on posts, color coded to each particular lane. Which was a good idea in my opinion. Nothing like bubba redneck shooting his SKS at the plate three lanes over.

Pistol Range
    Now has segregated sides: Paper Side & Steel Side. The paper side is nearest the .22 range and the steel side is on the far right. The steel side has new plate racks and dueling trees at 25 yards, but as you can tell from this thread, you are limited to conventional handguns.

If you bring any "pistol" that isn't a conventional handgun that you would carry concealed, you are pretty much limited to lobbing rounds at 100 yards or shooting paper at the "paper pistol range."

I 100% agree that you get what you pay for, but I'd happily pay more if they would stop making up stupid rules whenever they please.

I'd love to know if you can shoot an SBR'd Glock 17 at the plate rack... ya know... cuz it's a "rifle."

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    "If you bring any "pistol" that isn't a conventional handgun that you would carry concealed, you are pretty much limited to lobbing rounds at 100 yards or shooting paper at the "paper pistol range."
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    they do have places to stand your paper targets at 25, 50 and 100 years on the riffle side.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    "If you bring any "pistol" that isn't a conventional handgun that you would carry concealed, you are pretty much limited to lobbing rounds at 100 yards or shooting paper at the "paper pistol range."
    they do have places to stand your paper targets at 25, 50 and 100 years on the riffle side.

My original point, and the point I was just making, was that this is okay to shoot at the plate rack:

Screen-Shot-2015-02-04-at-8.04.54-AM.png

But this is not, even though the same projectile is being fired from the same length barrel at the same velocity:

Angstadt-Arms-9mm.jpg

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

Who's to say I wouldn't conceal a m10/9?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It's unfair to the plates.
    They don't like getting hit any more that absolutely necessary.
    Give the plates a chance why don't cha.
    PLATE LIVES MATTER

If anything, I figured they would allow a firearm that most people can shoot accurately, thus resulting in a greater number of shots hitting the plate, rather than when people have poor fundamentals and hit the rack itself and causing damage.

giphy.gif

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    If anything, I figured they would allow a firearm that most people can shoot accurately, thus resulting in a greater number of shots hitting the plate, rather than when people have poor fundamentals and hit the rack itself and causing damage.

giphy.gif

In the famous words of The Talking Heads:

Stop making sense.

JR1572

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom