Honey Island Plate Rack

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Word.

MAC_10__11_Rig_with_mag_pouch_and_gun.jpg

I want the same setup for a MP5K/PDW.

That would just ooze panache.

JR1572

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    or the fact they do not allow full auto or burst on the range is a no go in my opinion..

Well considering I've shot full auto there, and have seen guys shoot grease guns and sten's their would make me believe you are not correct. They told me I can shoot full auto so long as I aim low, and shoot on the pistol range side.

- - - Updated - - -

I want that now, Just do not know how it connects to the actual gun.... I probably would never use it, but it would be nice to have the option.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Seems every time I'm out there someone shows up with a full auto, or maybe tries bump firing. The only time I've seen them take issue was when some moron was walking his burst from a few feet in front of him on the ground and moving it up toward the berm. I don't know what they were thinking, just being idiots. The RO put a stop to that, as well he should have.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Well considering I've shot full auto there, and have seen guys shoot grease guns and sten's their would make me believe you are not correct. They told me I can shoot full auto so long as I aim low, and shoot on the pistol range side.

Well... Here we go again!

The "range information" section online says:

Rifle Line:
    100 Yard Rifle Line.
    You may shoot rifles, pistols, shotguns (No Buckshot) but not full auto firearms on the rifle line.
    Metal Plates at the 100 yard line.
    Positions for target frames at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards.

However, there is nothing about full automatic fire in the rules section.

Rules that are rules, but not really listed as rules, but they are still rules?

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Well... Here we go again!

The "range information" section online says:

However, there is nothing about full automatic fire in the rules section.

Rules that are rules, but not really listed as rules, but they are still rules?

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

Notice it says "rifle line" nothing about pistol side, and that's the side they let me shoot it on, since you are closer to the berm

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Notice it says "rifle line" nothing about pistol side, and that's the side they let me shoot it on, since you are closer to the berm

I've seen folks shoot FA on the rifle line.

I've also seen folks shoot pistol caliber carbines at the plate rack.

If anything, this thread solidifies the fact that Honey Island needs better management.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Bless your heart.

I suppose for the folks that just want to shoot their granddad's 1911 and their .270 for deer season, there isn't much of an issue.
    Bless my heart eh? Why? Because there's a cheap, easy access range where you can fire pretty much anything and have some simple rules which "may" be selectively enforced by imperfect people? OK then dude. From what I understand, they are short on RO's and are looking for more. Perhaps you could make a difference. Maybe that's not in your bag. Are you better off someplace else? Go there then. RO's haven't given me any problems in the years I've gone to HI, I follow their instructions when given, and I was merely pointing that out. I'd say that's a long doggone time to just be lucky. There's derps everywhere. I've seen clownish behavior at Fits, Camp Villere, and others around here too. Tardism strikes during USPSA matches. Derps happen. Even more if you give them a reason to be derpy. If you do find a completely Derp free range, please pass the knowledge along. Oh, but I'm being a passive aggressive jerk for posting in a thread and pointing out that people will complain about anything. Allrighty then. Pretty simple: rifle area, pistol area, rimfire area, shotgun area. Not hard to understand, and I'm far from the smartest guy in the room. Some ranges will restrict you to handguns only, .45ACP or less. Others will restrict you on what brand of ammo, and no handloads. Different ranges, different rules. But that's fine. Bless my heart if it makes you feel better. Call me passive aggressive. That's fine too. Make it personal.

Now, JR has a valid complaint (someone should lose their RO role over that), and what Dave said. They are doggone silly about targets that look too much like a person and whatnot. They've always been silly about that.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Bless my heart eh? Why? Because there's a cheap, easy access range where you can fire pretty much anything and have some simple rules which "may" be selectively enforced by imperfect people? OK then dude. From what I understand, they are short on RO's and are looking for more. Perhaps you could make a difference. Maybe that's not in your bag. Are you better off someplace else? Go there then. RO's haven't given me any problems in the years I've gone to HI, I follow their instructions when given, and I was merely pointing that out. I'd say that's a long doggone time to just be lucky. There's derps everywhere. I've seen clownish behavior at Fits, Camp Villere, and others around here too. Tardism strikes during USPSA matches. Derps happen. Even more if you give them a reason to be derpy. If you do find a completely Derp free range, please pass the knowledge along. Oh, but I'm being a passive aggressive jerk for posting in a thread and pointing out that people will complain about anything. Allrighty then. Pretty simple: rifle area, pistol area, rimfire area, shotgun area. Not hard to understand, and I'm far from the smartest guy in the room. Some ranges will restrict you to handguns only, .45ACP or less. Others will restrict you on what brand of ammo, and no handloads. Different ranges, different rules. But that's fine. Bless my heart if it makes you feel better. Call me passive aggressive. That's fine too. Make it personal.

Now, JR has a valid complaint (someone should lose their RO role over that), and what Dave said. They are doggone silly about targets that look too much like a person and whatnot. They've always been silly about that.

You mad?

Take a second to read through this thread.

Honey Island has had Range "Safety" Officers that are not safe themselves.
    Honey Island has had Range Officers that don't know the rules.
    Honey Island does not have adequate signage displaying the rules.

I'm quite happy that you've never had an issue with Honey Island and the RO's there, but your comment about people complaining about anything is simply untrue. I'm complaining about a specific problem at a specific range. Deal with it.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    You mad?

Take a second to read through this thread.

Honey Island has had Range "Safety" Officers that are not safe themselves.
    Honey Island has had Range Officers that don't know the rules.
    Honey Island does not have adequate signage displaying the rules.

I'm quite happy that you've never had an issue with Honey Island and the RO's there, but your comment about people complaining about anything is simply untrue. I'm complaining about a specific problem at a specific range. Deal with it.
    No Dave, I'm not mad in the least. Shaking my head a bit is all.

Dude, you were firing rifle (or attempting to) at the pistol plates. Cartridge fired matters on paper, but why should the RO make an exception for you? Because you post on BS'er? You're special? Perhaps you are famous for your barbeque?

What RO at any range wants to go and check every doggone shooter to make sure he's only firing X cartridge out of his Rifle at the Pistol plates? It's as silly as an egg free omelet. Even a doggone crusty deaf and half blind jarhead like myself can pick up on that.

It is much easier to just follow the instructions, rules, or implied rules. Pistol area for pistol.
    There are plenty of things to complain about there, but I think your issue is on the low end of concerns to be had.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Calm down, buttercup.

Dude, you were firing rifle (or attempting to) at the pistol plates.

I've seen others firing pistol caliber carbines at the plate rack, so we made the assumption that it was kosher. I was unaware that the rule specifically stated "conventional handguns," but knew they did not want rifle calibers.

The falling plate racks at the right end of the pistol line are for conventional hand gun rounds fired from conventional hand guns. Rifles or Pistols shooting "rifle" calibers are not allowed to use these targets.

Now let's get to the rest of this bull.

Cartridge fired matters on paper, but why should the RO make an exception for you?

See my first answer.

Because you post on BS'er? You're special? Perhaps you are famous for your barbeque?

Why are you so angry?

What RO at any range wants to go and check every doggone shooter to make sure he's only firing X cartridge out of his Rifle at the Pistol plates?

I think the translucent 30 round Glock magazines gave some obvious clues that it isn't a conventional rifle.

It is much easier to just follow the instructions, rules, or implied rules.

To my knowledge, there are no rules posted in the pistol area. And how do you expect someone to follow "implied rules?" Those plates can handle .500 S&W loads, so one could imply that 9mm moving at 1,100 fps is well within the limits of the steel.

There are plenty of things to complain about there, but I think your issue is on the low end of concerns to be had.

It seems you like to complain about people complaining. Care to file a complaint about people complaining with our complaint department?

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Calm down, buttercup.

I've seen others firing pistol caliber carbines at the plate rack, so we made the assumption that it was kosher. I was unaware that the rule specifically stated "conventional handguns," but knew they did not want rifle calibers.

Now let's get to the rest of this bull.

See my first answer.

Why are you so angry?

I think the translucent 30 round Glock magazines gave some obvious clues that it isn't a conventional rifle.

To my knowledge, there are no rules posted in the pistol area. And how do you expect someone to follow "implied rules?" Those plates can handle .500 S&W loads, so one could imply that 9mm moving at 1,100 fps is well within the limits of the steel.

It seems you like to complain about people complaining. Care to file a complaint about people complaining with our complaint department?

Pistol =/= rifle. It's pretty simple logic.
    I've used the range for over 30 years and have never had to be corrected, rightly or wrongly, by an RO there but I'm the one with the problem. OK, whatever Dave.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Good deal. Yeah, thankfully the good usually outweighs the bad, I guess. Hopefully they get their $hit straight.....

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Good deal. Yeah, thankfully the good usually outweighs the bad, I guess. Hopefully they get their $hit straight.....

I agree with the rules, because it's their rules. What I don't agree with, is the logic behind their rulings.

If the Range Master is allowed to make a judgement of his own preference on the fly, I would expect that same Range Master to be smart enough to make sure his own Range Safety Officers are actually being safe. Next time I see a Range Officer doing something unsafe, you better believe I'm going to publicly shame him.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana

0mKXcg1.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom