How Much Money Is LDWF Leaving On The Table?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I've never been and really have no desire to. With all the drama in this thread it sounds more like a high school drama over a hunting property. I'll stick to the private land hunts.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I would love to hunt pearl river wma, however it's people like this guy that think they own the place that keep people away.

I've used the range and it's nice, I have never been flagged or in any unsafe situation. Its a nice range, much better than any other range within an hour of Slidell.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    That being said, and with all due respect, what is your point?

I attempted to be reasonable by stating twice that I'm not necessarily against change. I'm a very frequent WMA hunter so I have an interest in the discussion. Just pointing out that the numbers being used as the basis for the argument were bogus.

I'm originally from CA so I grew up with the never ending sales pitch from gov't that if we just raise taxes all our problems will be solved. Hopefully you can understand my skepticism. One of the many things I love about Louisiana is that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to enjoy the outdoors.

James70458

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Louisiana
    WMA's are public land for all the Public to use...it's not a private hunting club for you to exclude others from your personal playground...The shooting public are some of the taxpayers that purchased the land to begin with...they buy licenses just like everyone else...In fact with the amount of ammunition they purchase in a year, one could argue that the federal tax money on that ammo that each state gets based on proven usage of state lands generates a huge amount of money for the LDWF...your beef needs to be with how LDWF allocates money to PR WMA...

Perhaps you didn't read above, as your claim that the shooters "buy licenses just like everyone else" can not be supported by fact or evidence. Just because speed limits on highways are posted, and written into the laws doesn't mean they are obeyed, and it's a proven fact that if the speed limit laws are not regularly enforced people will certainly violate them. Similarly, with no enforcement of the laws requiring range users to have a $2.00 permit they simply don't purchase it.

there are other WMA's with shooting ranges...how come you aren't lobbying to get those closed down...after all those hunters must be dying for your help on bringing back the "zen of the hunt"...

[B]Again with the propaganda, NO ONE is "lobbing to get" anything "closed down"... that is just another example of how those with SELFS, Inc spread misinformation in an attempt to derail the conversation from facts to fiction because in a logical discussion based on facts they show up as selfish and prove not to be very good neighbors that don't want to share the WMA with hunters.[/B]

Wait...I know why...because you are only worried about yourself and what affects you...Isn't that SELFish of you?

I hunt and fish the PRWMA regularly as well as the Bogue Chitto NWR...you've probably seen me or even know me...I am also an avid shooter and use the range regularly(and if I lived near Sherburne I'd shoot there regularly)...I pay my taxes and I pay for hunting and fishing licenses....

Really, who are you, because I know many of the regular hunters, and perhaps we can have a respectful conversation about this, because it's obvious you have been fed much misinformation regarding what the hunters are trying to accomplish. That is if you are open hearing the facts, and not just supporting a position because that suits your personal interest, and gets you accepted on the "shooting club".[/B]

I'm not slamming you...I'm just tired of all the banter that somehow always has an angle to get rid of the range...I think everyone on this forum knows you have an agenda and no matter how you disguise it it shows...

We are not slamming anyone either, not even those that adamantly oppose our views, including those that go around spread misinformation about us claiming we are trying to "get rid of the range", which is NOT TRUE. Although I can't speak for all the hunters, I've done my best to encourage hunters to be respectful and courteous to those both using and working at the range.

My humble suggestion, since you're so "tired of all the banter" is to speak calmly with those that operate the range and encourage them to sit down with the hunters and respectfully work out a compromise regarding range operating times during legal hunting season on the PRWMA. We tried that only to be told they would not even discuss the matter, and then had the range operators spread misinformation, and personally attach those hunters that tried to work with them.

When you say I have an "agenda" you are absolutely correct, and I'm not shy about telling anyone that will listen what that agenda is. So, for the benefit of those reading this post, here is my "agenda". Along with hundreds of hunters, we would like to see the PRWMA managed to it's fullest potential so as to provide quality recreational actives to future generations. Above I spelled out some of the improvements we are striving for. Those improvement include protecting and improving the wildlife populations, providing access to hunting to disabled Vets, sightseeing opportunities for tourist, 4 wheeling trails, and yes, even opportunities for shooting.

The question is how to pay for that, and if all the LDWF has to do is be competitive with Mississippi which is just a few minutes drive away, then we believe that is a responsible solution.

My response to those that argue if LDWF created a "WMA Usage Permit" to replace the current "WMA Hunting Permit", and required an "Annual Range Usage Permit" like Mississippi currently does, it would reduce the number of people using the range, is quite simple. Louisiana and the LDWF, just like any intelligent business manager, don't need, rely on, or cater to, non-paying customers, and are better off without those that don't pay their bills.

Last edited:

James70458

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Louisiana
    I attempted to be reasonable by stating twice that I'm not necessarily against change. I'm a very frequent WMA hunter so I have an interest in the discussion. Just pointing out that the numbers being used as the basis for the argument were bogus.

I'm originally from CA so I grew up with the never ending sales pitch from gov't that if we just raise taxes all our problems will be solved. Hopefully you can understand my skepticism. One of the many things I love about Louisiana is that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to enjoy the outdoors.

So, if one tries to follow your logic Mississippi would not have enough money, because according to you they over charge, and there Wildlife program would be horrible because people wouldn't pay and participate, but contrary to that logic, Mississippi has a fantastic program.

We're not for increasing taxes, just an equal assessment be applied to ALL those that USE the WMA's. Perhaps with this re-assessment the fees could be reduced somewhere else, like Mississippi did for their residents.

James70458

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Louisiana
    I would love to hunt pearl river wma, however it's people like this guy that think they own the place that keep people away.

I've used the range and it's nice, I have never been flagged or in any unsafe situation. Its a nice range, much better than any other range within an hour of Slidell.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Contrary to your misinformation, and personal attack on me, there are numerous hunters, just like me, that always help each other out. We show new comers where to hunt, even sometimes show then how to hunt. We've always helped other hunters retrieve downed game, especially the older ones that simply can't drag out a hog or deer. We bring, and cook food and share with anyone that want's to join us.

So, it's becoming apparent that you are accusing hunter like myself of doing the very things that you are guilty of, and it's called projecting, not that uncommon a thing. Most intelligent open minded people are smart enough to see through the name calling and personal attacks you deploy and recognize your desperation at justifying your hidden agenda.

With that in mind, lets go back to your accusations.

You accused hunters of wanting their own private hunting club... hmmm could that be what you are protecting, a private shooting and hunting club?

You accused hunters of "keep(ing) people away"... hmmm could that be what you and the range do?

You accused hunters of having an agenda to get rid of the range... hmmm could it be that the hidden agenda of those at the range would be to protect their private shooting club at any cost to anyone else wanting to use the WMA?

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    So, if one tries to follow your logic Mississippi would not have enough money, because according to you they over charge, and there Wildlife program would be horrible because people wouldn't pay and participate, but contrary to that logic, Mississippi has a fantastic program.

We're not for increasing taxes, just an equal assessment be applied to ALL those that USE the WMA's. Perhaps with this re-assessment the fees could be reduced somewhere else, like Mississippi did for their residents.

Whatever. You're just swinging at anybody and everybody now. I don't know who you are or what you're selling but from the looks of it, you've single-handedly managed to turn everybody against your cause in just over 24hrs. That's gotta be some kind of a record.

James70458

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the Laughs

Whatever. You're just swinging at anybody and everybody now. I don't know who you are or what you're selling but from the looks of it, you've single-handedly managed to turn everybody against your cause in just over 24hrs. That's gotta be some kind of a record.

Nice try... but we have hundreds of hunters all asking the same questions and wanting the same things, and we're getting more organized by the day, with support from many different areas... as compared to a couple of obviously uninformed and biased commenters, that take sides instead of weighing facts on an internet post... really, are you drinking your own Kool-Aid and thinking you're "everybody"... thanks for the entertainment and laughs... much needed, now have a great day and try to enjoy the rest of the weekend.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    According to what I'm seeing both Louisiana and Mississippi collected 9.5 million dollars in permits, tags and licensees for hunting and fishing in 2013 with Louisiana actually collecting just a tad bit more. Now according to you The state should charge more to collect more revenue which in a sense could help if you want to make improvements. However considering both states are collecting the same amount don't you think the problem may lie in how La is spending their money and not necessarily a lack of funds??? (Which is typical problem for everything here btw)

Pepperidge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    According to what I'm seeing both Louisiana and Mississippi collected 9.5 million dollars in permits, tags and licensees for hunting and fishing in 2013 with Louisiana actually collecting just a tad bit more. Now according to you The state should charge more to collect more revenue which in a sense could help if you want to make improvements. However considering both states are collecting the same amount don't you think the problem may lie in how La is spending their money and not necessarily a lack of funds??? (Which is typical problem for everything here btw)

but... but... but...it's the ranges fault...or was it GWB's...I forget...:rofl:

Pepperidge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Perhaps you didn't read above, as your claim that the shooters "buy licenses just like everyone else" can not be supported by fact or evidence. Just because speed limits on highways are posted, and written into the laws doesn't mean they are obeyed, and it's a proven fact that if the speed limit laws are not regularly enforced people will certainly violate them. Similarly, with no enforcement of the laws requiring range users to have a $2.00 permit they simply don't purchase it.

Nor do you have proof that the majority(or any for that matter) of the 20,000 range users do not purchase the required licenses to enter...see how that works? Your premise is flawed and lacks the evidence to back it up...

boshos1965

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2014
    Slidell,LA
    I am physical challenged and try to use the one handicap trail that they have in the PRWMA. To say the least it is in deplorable condition, one end floods because of the natural drainage, the other end has huge ruts caused by oversize tires on 4X4 pick-up trucks. I attend the monthly LADWF and their has been several presentations on the other WMA handicap accessible hunting stand, blinds and trails. My concerns are that too much money is going into maintaining the road that leads to the range and not enough is allocated for improvements to the handicap trail.
    If you visit the WMA in Mississippi, their is no comparison to the overall up keep that the Mississippi DWF spends. What James is trying to explain is that if everyone that uses the WMA throughout the State of Louisiana the overall amount of money available for up keep would be ten fold. We are letting individuals for other States use our natural resources and we the Louisiana tax payers are footing the bill.
    The range within the PRWMA is a resource that belongs to the citizens of the State of Louisiana and we the Hunters and Fishermen/women should demand that the revenue that is generated be put back into the PRWMA. Secondly, all individuals that use this are should be charged a fee to help maintain the roads, trails, etc.

James70458

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Louisiana
    Nor do you have proof that the majority(or any for that matter) of the 20,000 range users do not purchase the required licenses to enter...see how that works? Your premise is flawed and lacks the evidence to back it up...

Actually I do have first hand evidence of lack of enforcement which was presented to the LWFC, and with NO citations issued in two years there is your evidence that of lack of enforcement. And we all know that without enforcement (accountability) there will be little compliance (responsibility).

James70458

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Louisiana

Don't know how fair of a comparison the gross revenue of licensees between the states is with Louisiana's greater commercial fishing numbers, and so much more costal area than Mississippi has, but that being said, I would lean towards being somewhat suspicious of the money is appropriated by the LDWF.

James70458

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Louisiana
    Just asking of everyone to pay their fair share

In Louisiana, each Resident deer hunter of the PRWMA is minimally required (strictly enforced) to pay the following to support the WMA’s:

Basic Season $15.00
    Big Game $14.00
    Bow $10.00
    Primitive Firearm $10.50
    WMA Hunting Permit $15.00

TOTAL OF $65.00 PER YEAR

In Louisiana, each Non-Resident deer hunter on the PRWMA is minimally required (strictly enforced) to pay the following to support the WMA’s:

Basic Season $ 150.00
    Big Game $ 150.00
    Bow $ 26.00
    Primitive Firearm $ 26.00
    WMA Hunting Permit $ 15.00

TOTAL OF $ 367.00 PER YEAR

In Louisiana, each user (both resident and non-resident) of the range on the PRWMA is minimally required (by law but not enforced) to pay the following to support the WMA’s.

Wild Louisiana Stamp $2.00 per day, or $9.50 per year

TOTAL OF $9.50

If Louisiana would simply match the fees currently charged in Mississippi for the same services, that would require those Louisiana residents using the range at PRWMA to purchase $55.00 worth of State permits, which is still less than a resident hunter pays now. So, the argument could be had that those using the range don't want to pay their fair share and want the hunters to subsidize their outdoor activities.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If you want to decide how LA. collects and spends money you should run for a State Office and try to get things changed or at the very least contact all Statewide elected officials concerning this matter.
    Whining on BS will not get any State laws changed.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    You're obviously just pissed off about non residents using the pearl river range.
    Laughable that you're on the Internet complaining about it. Grow up.

James70458

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Louisiana
    You're obviously just pissed off about non residents using the pearl river range.
    Laughable that you're on the Internet complaining about it. Grow up.

The only thing obvious here is that you clearly don't have an understanding of the issues. As for the "grow up" comment... it's projecting and demonstrates your emotional age.

James70458

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Louisiana
    If you want to decide how LA. collects and spends money you should run for a State Office and try to get things changed or at the very least contact all Statewide elected officials concerning this matter.
    Whining on BS will not get any State laws changed.

Calling the process of trying to educate the public "whining" demonstrates your lack of understanding of a ground roots campaign. Perhaps you're one of those statist that wants the government to run all aspects of your life, we're not. We the people believe we should be running the government, not some elite few, so we try to educate the public on issues so they will ALL carry the message to the elected representatives.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom