hunting rifle for 8yr old

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    What would be a nice hunting rifle (deer mostly) for a 8yr old boy. He is tall but not muscular yet.

Also what caliber? I was thinking .243 but would a .223 hand loaded with premium bullets be a consideration here?

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    I started out with a Browning youth model .243 and dropped quite a few deer with it. Not a lot of recoil and really light. I have other rifles now but every so often I'll still take the .243 out cause it's so light for me now and short I use it as a brush gun. Only thing bad about the Browning is you have to have it off safety to operate the bolt so once you load it you got to remember to put it back on safety, but on the same note it really teachs and makes you practice gun safety.

hunter2

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    lafayette, la
    I would go with a .243 just for that knock down power. 223 is marginal unless aimed for the neck or head area. .243 has a bit more room for error on shot placement. I think browning makes a nice rifle. I can't speak for the youth model. If recoil is a problem then maybe a stock with pachmeyer or other pad will help with the recoil.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you are open to the ar 15 platform, the 6.8 spc II would be a great choice. Low recoil, adjustable stock and performance to ethically take game. It's what I use, and I'm not much more mature than the average 8 year old. Happy huntin' to you both.

101guns

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Monroe, LA
    I have two daughters. I have several guns that they use without complaint. I do not say "kick" around them. I use "push". The .243 is not bad at all. Been a kid's first gun for decades. You can also use the reduced recoil loads that Remington and others are using. They are available in 7-08, 270 260, etc. but you have to be sure the gun's stock fits the kid. If you opt for reduced recoil, they also come in 30-30 and there is not much push there at all. Marlin makes a 30-30 for kids (Marlin 336Y). Otherwise, we have used 243, 260, 6.8 spc, 45 Colt, 30-30, 300 Blackout, 7.62x39 and 7-08. I think a Remnigton Model 7 in 260 or 7-08 is the cat's meow for kids. Ammo for both calibers is available in reduced recoil, and your kids will not be undergunned for as the grow up. In fact, I will slip off with a Model 7 when they aren't going. Lite push and easy to manuever in a box stand. My two cent opinion on .223 is that, with the new ammo, they will take a deer. But they are best reserved for the experienced hunter who has had neck or shoulder surgery just weeks before the season. There is little margin for error in shot placement. Those errors will happen more often with kids regardless of how much you practice. The low push options are just too many as mentioned above to go with a marginal gun. You will never be accused of spending too much time with your kids and hunting is a good way to do it. My wife thinks our daughters come to me to talk about things to her exclusion. Its the hours and hours and hours sitting in my lap and next to me in a box stand that did it. Good luck.

101guns

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Monroe, LA
    One other thought. The response about the AR platform is accurate. Adjusting stock alone is a benefit and the 6.8 is a great round. A cheaper option that will give you the AR stock is to get the caliber of your choice in an H&R single shot. Then add an AR adjustable stock to it. I have several. One in 45 Colt was what youngest used to take her first deer. Such a set up will run around $300-$325. Bud's Gun Shop (online) carries the stock for less than $50.

Advanced Technology H&R/NEF Stock w/Tactical Forend
    Bud's Item Number: 17655 UPC: 758152541000 MFG: Advanced Technology Intl.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...nced+Technology+H&RNEF+Stock+wTactical+Forend

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I started out with a New England youth model single shot .243. Still have it and would still use it in a heart beat. That was a great little gun. In a way taught me to make the first shot count and that's all you will need.
    I'm a huge advocate for 7mm-08 for anyone. From youth to adult it's a great round for hunting whitetail in my opinion.

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Got some Hornady "Custom Lite" in .30-06 for my 7 year old. You would not believe the reduction in recoil. Also I didn't have to re zero. Unreal
    I have two daughters. I have several guns that they use without complaint. I do not say "kick" around them. I use "push". The .243 is not bad at all. Been a kid's first gun for decades. You can also use the reduced recoil loads that Remington and others are using. They are available in 7-08, 270 260, etc. but you have to be sure the gun's stock fits the kid. If you opt for reduced recoil, they also come in 30-30 and there is not much push there at all. Marlin makes a 30-30 for kids (Marlin 336Y). Otherwise, we have used 243, 260, 6.8 spc, 45 Colt, 30-30, 300 Blackout, 7.62x39 and 7-08. I think a Remnigton Model 7 in 260 or 7-08 is the cat's meow for kids. Ammo for both calibers is available in reduced recoil, and your kids will not be undergunned for as the grow up. In fact, I will slip off with a Model 7 when they aren't going. Lite push and easy to manuever in a box stand. My two cent opinion on .223 is that, with the new ammo, they will take a deer. But they are best reserved for the experienced hunter who has had neck or shoulder surgery just weeks before the season. There is little margin for error in shot placement. Those errors will happen more often with kids regardless of how much you practice. The low push options are just too many as mentioned above to go with a marginal gun. You will never be accused of spending too much time with your kids and hunting is a good way to do it. My wife thinks our daughters come to me to talk about things to her exclusion. Its the hours and hours and hours sitting in my lap and next to me in a box stand that did it. Good luck.

Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    I agree with the AR-15 suggestion. Both my kids (7 and 9) shot first deer this year with an off the shelf Bushy from Wally World. It's a 2.5 moa gun at best as it came from the factory. I made sure they could shoot 4" groups at 100 yds and I limited their shots to 100 yds. This was a borrowed gun that my buddy let me mount a scope on (nikon prostaff 3-9x40, $170). I will definitely be upgrading them to a bolt gun when they bulk up a little. But, this was a cheap way to get them hooked on hunting. They actually fuss over which of their deer we are gonna eat for dinner! 6.8 would be a good choice if you want him shooting an AR style weapon longer term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    My vote is for the 6.8 SPC in an AR platform, low recoil and accurate. My 9 year old son and wife successfully harvested a doe this past season using a 6.8 SPC and both deer DRT. Wife's shot at about 110 yards and son's around 70 yards. Used the 110 Accubond loaded by SSA.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Just curious as to why you chose the Savage. I will be purchasing my daughter a 7mm-08 soon as well. I am hoping to locate a remington 700 but it seems with the recent recall it might be a bit challenging.

I have settled on a Savage Axis youth model in 7mm-08 with a Witt Machine muzzle brake added on.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I am going with the Savage because of good reviews from owners, and online, but mainly because it is a nice cheap package that I will not worry about getting dinged up hunting in the swamp.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom