hunting rifle for 8yr old

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Agree with this. This is what I did with a .30-06 in a 700. Hornady custom lite 125 gr is the right prescription. My boy is 7.
    get him a nice rem 700 .308 and some Low recoil rounds to use then he will have a nice deer rifle for life.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    I can not recall at the moment if it is Rossi or New England that makes the single shot rifle that can switch barrels on the same receiver, but that is my vote. The single shot will be safer for a beginner and lighter than most guns, it can be purchased fairly cheaply and can be switched to one of dozens of caliber/gauges.
    The 243 would be a good starter round, there are many calibers or loads that will be adequate, but you know what your kid can stand.
    Good luck.

ICHENE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Good suggestions on a bolt .308. I bought my kids a Ruger Mountain Rifle in Stainless and Gray Laminate in .243. It's a beautiful gun with a strong action. It's a little little heavier than a synthetic stock so recoil is dampened even further. However, if I were to do it over agin it would be in .308. Will be swapping barrels out for a super accurate .308 (if I'm making the switch I'm going big).

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    What would be a nice hunting rifle (deer mostly) for a 8yr old boy. He is tall but not muscular yet.

Also what caliber? I was thinking .243 but would a .223 hand loaded with premium bullets be a consideration here?

Without reading this whole thread and seeing what people have said:

I started hunting with a .243 youth edition Remington (I think is the brand) when I was seven or eight years old. I still have it in my safe and it is a fun little range gun too. It is a crack barrell and has a sleeve on the stock for ten extra bullets. As for accuracy, it is awesome sub 100 yards. I have never pushed it past that so I have no experience!

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Oh man, I feel like it is Christmas. I sold my pistol today and immediately ordered hunting rifles for my son and I. Savage model 19698 for me with the Nikon scope and Savage 19974 for him with the Bushnell scope.

Just an FYI here. Nick's Shooting range, in Garyville, beat the Cabelas price by $55 on my sons gun and approx $70 on mine. Great place to get your stuff

Last edited:

JDIZZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Central La
    I have killed several deer with a .243, I think the 7mm-08 is much more effective if the child is not of tiny stature. By the way, Wal-Mart has the Savage Axis youth models, on clearance for only $169 until next week!!!

JDIZZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Central La
    Rossi offers interchangeable combo pkgs. New England/ H&R can replace barrel for $100, but you don't get your old barrel back. At least, I didn't anyways.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The Witt Machine muzzle brake that Todd mentioned is worth every penny! It tamed my Ruger M77 MK II Ultralite 7mm-80's recoil to that of a .223 Rem bolt gun.

Epi5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    Houma, LA
    7mm-08 would do nicely i think if ammo is easy to come by locally.

Also look into a Limb Saver recoil pad. It adds an inch or so to the length of pull and is usually put on shotguns, but if it fits the buttstock and the shooter it does wonders more than any muzzle break i have ever used.

king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have killed several deer with a .243, I think the 7mm-08 is much more effective if the child is not of tiny stature. By the way, Wal-Mart has the Savage Axis youth models, on clearance for only $169 until next week!!!

The clearance is for 243 only right? I called several Walmart and none had any youth models in anything other than 243.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Epi5, I had a Limb-Saver recoil pad. It worked well, UNTIL it started to melt. The rifle is kept in my safe with a Goldenrod dehumidifier. The guys at my LGS have many reports of the LS recoil pads melting, so it's not just me. I removed the melted buttpad when I installed the muzzle brake. The brake made a much larger difference in felt reciol than the recoil pad ever did.

Last edited:

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    7mm-08 here. My sone was 10 when he started deer hunting and he never flinched shooting this caliber. He is 21 now and still likes to hunt with it.

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge

Is that with the scope? Does anyone know the closest WM to Br that might be offering this sale? Most of the WM don't have guns for sale.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Is that with the scope? Does anyone know the closest WM to Br that might be offering this sale? Most of the WM don't have guns for sale.

That is without the scope. None of the Walmarts that are in the Baton Rouge city limits sell guns. Most of the others do-Gonzales, Denham Springs, Central, Walker, Watson (D.S. north), Port Allen, Plaquemine, Hammond-just to name a few.

king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    I like the idea of the reduced recoil using the Witt machine muzzle brake. I have ordered a digital caliper to get the exact measurement of the barrel of my son's gun. I decided on the Ruger american youth model with adjustable trigger and Nikon 2.5x12 50 mm prostaff S BDC reticle. I may have to change the mounts as they are the p223 mount and are a little high for a kid. Chambered in 7mm08.
    amapudeb.jpg
    3yzuzy7y.jpg

Last edited:

James Thibodeau

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Breaux Bridge
    Does no one any longer have faith in the tried n true30-30?? What kid doesn't want to hunt with the same kind of rifle they see on the old western shows. There's no recoil and the 30cal round is much more forgiving in shot placement than 243. I just can't get away from a Marlin 336 with a trusty (JM) stamped barrel [like I said, tried n true]. If you are like most and just want a starter gun for a couple of seasons, get one in H&R then upgrade to a .308 later. Their barrel replacement program is only about $150.

Last edited:

king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    Does no one any longer have faith in the tried n true30-30?? What kid doesn't want to hunt with the same kind of rifle they see on the old western shows. There's no recoil and the 30cal round is much more forgiving in shot placement than 243. I just can't get away from a Marlin 336 with a trusty (JM) stamped barrel [like I said, tried n true]. If you are like most and just want a starter gun for a couple of seasons, get one in H&R then upgrade to a .308 later. Their barrel replacement program is only about $150.
    Well Saturday afternoon I took my 10 yr old son and his friend to hunt from the stand I have been feeding from since May. We brought the Ruger American 7mm-08 mentioned above except I switched out the scope mounts to Leopold high mounts. Around 4:30 out comes two small does. I get my son up off the floor of the 5x8 box stand where they were playing iPad to get my boy ready to shoot when out comes a little 8 point. So in a matter of seconds my son stands takes his gun props it up takes aim and clicks off the safety and takes a deep breathe like an old pro and shoots. The buck makes out like he was hit good with the hornady 139 grain reduced recoil ballistic tip bullet as he runs into the woods. There were 5 deer total visible when he shot and two were still standing there looking at us. Well the other boy with us asked if he could shoot a doe. I decided to let him shoot as well. He (my son's friend)shot the little doe in the hind quarter and blew out all its innards. That is one bad ass round. They were fist bumping and high fiving and smiling and asking to get out of the stand to go get the deer. I made them wait for the longest 25 minutes of their life so we wouldn't jump the buck and make him run off any further. The doe laid where he shot it and died with a little knife to the jugular help. The buck was 50 yds in the woods dead. It was a good clean shot on the buck as I expected from my son who has been shooting since age 4. I have every faith in this gun and these rounds. I can't think of better father-son time than this.
    3d097656e0d8987c442995759905abde.jpg

f2fe2a8efd4b11b9fc35306b072720cd.jpg
    after a squirrel hunt a few weeks back before the season started
    c949b6c13a668895cc1268f8fc300b06.jpg

Two shots at 75 yds with my son at the trigger.
    bea3071c337477aff4923ce12a49cfde.jpg

the castle complete with a heater and toilet for emergencies.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom