I am no longer a Bass 5Pro customer !!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    :eek3::eek3::eek3::confused:Went into Bass Pro in Denham Springs this evening,hardly any business at the time....5'ish or so!! Picked my # and looked around the gun counter at a few guns with my son,he says Dad I would like to see the Smith and Wesson .460 if they have one.....THATS MY BOY :hi5: !!! Ok sure why not, but son you're a bit young and small for shooting one of those cannons...I just want to look.....Well while we waited to get our number called we looked some more and he is absolutely fascinated with the western style revolvers and the 1911's which is fine by me. Finally my number was called by " Paul " the associate behind the counter, I stepped up and asked for the Smith .460 or the .500...This guy first acted like he had never heard of them, then he asked me again what kind, I repeated, Smith .460 or the .500 !!! Oh well have you ever seen it hear before,I said no I've been walking back and forth and havent seen one yet unless you have them in a different place...NOPE he said we don't carry those he said and if we did I wouldnt even know what to look for?????????:confused:.....Ok good enough for me,I thought !!! Then he asks me, where would you see something like that ??? I replied, I've seen them in Cabelas before but I'd rather shop here...His exact words were very rudely I may add.......and I quote...Well go to Cabelas then.....my son looked at me like I was a green bug, the guy next to me just busted out laughin,shaking his head in disbelief.....I looked up and said if I wanted to shop in Cabelas I would have went there, and if you worked for me in my store I would fire you for talkin to my customers like that......UNBELIEVABLE !!!! This asshat just told me to go shop at his competitor and was rude to boot....I know it may seem kinda weird,but Dayum !!! They weren't even busy.. The guy seemed extremely agitated to even assist anyone...Oh well never again !!!! I see this kinda thing happening in more and more places I shop, no wonder I shop more online !!!!

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    idiot...I get poo service at bass pro but I thinks it's cuz I'm a young black make in the middle of denham asking about guns...maybe 12 percent of their staff is friendly behind the gun counter...

Roadstar10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Two years ago, my wife and I were looking to go into reloading and had decided on the Hon Lock & Load. Now, we needed the full set up and had already checked at Cabelas. We went to Bass Pro in Denham Springs and saw that the price was a little higher than Cabelas. We asked the older white gentleman if Bass Pro would match the Cabelas's price and he replyed "Ya'll better take it down the road then" and turned around and left us standing there looking at each other. So we took it down the road to Cabelas and spent about $1100.00 on reloading equiptment. My wife, who is black, wrote Bass Pro and informed them of that Azzhole and what we had done. We got a phone call from one of the higher ups in another state who apoligzed and asked us what he could do to make things right. We advised him that we had spent $400 on the reloader. He sent up a coupon for $500. My new Rem 870 Tactael is sitting in the corner and we have not been back!

king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    Two years ago, my wife and I were looking to go into reloading and had decided on the Hon Lock & Load. Now, we needed the full set up and had already checked at Cabelas. We went to Bass Pro in Denham Springs and saw that the price was a little higher than Cabelas. We asked the older white gentleman if Bass Pro would match the Cabelas's price and he replyed "Ya'll better take it down the road then" and turned around and left us standing there looking at each other. So we took it down the road to Cabelas and spent about $1100.00 on reloading equiptment. My wife, who is black, wrote Bass Pro and informed them of that Azzhole and what we had done. We got a phone call from one of the higher ups in another state who apoligzed and asked us what he could do to make things right. We advised him that we had spent $400 on the reloader. He sent up a coupon for $500. My new Rem 870 Tactael is sitting in the corner and we have not been back!

So do you think you were treated that way because your wife is black? I only ask because other wise I can't see why you thought it relevant to the story. Was the letter to bass pro also informing the higher ups of your wife's race. I mean you got a 500 dollar gun because somebody told you to buy something where it was less expensive. If this were to case then I need to go over there and ask for a discount and bring my 1/8 American Indian wife with me. Maybe you left some details out of the story.

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It isn't because you are black.
    They dont hire enough people and the one's they hire are gun stupid.
    Every holiday they have three people behind the counter picking their ass instead of anticipating the crowd.
    One of those tards sold a gun to a lady and her son that was not at all what he needed. When I heard the story, it made me cringe.
    If you want to gun shop, go to cabellas or bowies, even academy.
    The BP guys are the worst combo of rude, ignorant and lazy.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Last time I was in there I did see a sign saying they price match. Anyone have details on that?
    As for this time of the year, I think the seasonal employees may be a bigger issue than normal. They really dont care because they will be gone in a month.

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    Reasons like the one above is sometimes a good reason to pay more at the smaller, local gun stores. But, the butt-head was probably just a seasonal, Christmas Holiday hire who was put in the gun section because of his vast experience from playing Call of Duty.

KennonW

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    BR
    I was in BP in denham a year ago and I asked the guy behind the counter if he would recommend the browning buckmark or the ruger mark III. After telling me they were both pointless to own because they "couldn't kill nothin" he asked how old I was. When I said I was 20 he said "take it back to the house because you can't own or buy a firearm in this state." I never asked to handle the guns I just wanted some information about them. I used a little self control instead of telling him what I thought about how he was handling a potential customer and just walked away. Haven't been back since and I won't go back.

Last edited:

Roadstar10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    I did not mean to imply that it had anything to do with my wife's race. When she e-mailed the company, nothing was said about race, that it was because he was rude and mean-spirited. It didn't have anything to do with saving a few bucks as we were ready to buy the set-up from Bass Pro because we were already there but he walked off after he said it! I wrote a response to Ironman's posting because it could have been the same guy and I was giving my experience with Bass Pro. We didn't ask for the coupon, it was offered and we took it. We just made a complaint like we would if we got bad service from a fast-food place or any other buisness. I also mentioned the fact that my wife is black because it could have had something to do with his response and not that we played the race card as you suggested. Also what details do you think I left out? I think you are trying to make a race issue out of this and this was not my intension!

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I was in BP in denham a year ago and I asked the guy behind the counter if he would recommend the browning buckmark or the ruger mark III. After telling me they were both pointless to own because they "couldn't kill nothin" he asked how old I was. When I said I was 20 he said "take it back to the house because you can't own or buy a firearm in this state." I never asked to handle the guns I just wanted some information about them. I used a little self control instead of telling him what I thought about how he was handling a potential customer and just walked away. Haven't been back since and I won't go back.

He was probably put off by you asking about a gun you couldn't buy from them.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    He was probably put off by you asking about a gun you couldn't buy from them.

True. But he could have been wanting a shotgun too and just looking at those out of curiosity. No reason to run a cash paying customer out of the store like that. Someone coming in at 20 to "look" at a handgun is more than likely going to buy at least a few guns in the not to distant future.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I went to Cabelas today and was helped by very respectable people in a timely manor. They really have a good crew over there.

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    In the few years that I've been buying guns, I've generally had good experiences at Cabelas. Only one employee gave me trouble shortly after I turned 21 and was trying out handguns. I suppose its possible she was already having a bad day,but I believe she's no longer working there. FWIW

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Cabellas actually has pretty fair prices, as does Bowies.

Jim's is as big a joke as BP.
    Butholes for clerks and their prices are way out of line. Good place to shop to wee what you want because they
    Do have a good selection, but if you buy anything there bring the ky cause you are going to get reamed.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I stopped in the new Academy last night. Other than the annoying archery range issue posted elsewhere.... anyway, I stopped by the gun counter. Young guy working there now that I hadn't seen in Kenner. I was pleasantly surprised. He didn't know a lot but more than most of the previous gun counter geeks. BUT! He had a good attitude. There is hope.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Many years ago I worked in a hospital blood bank. We got a new supervisor who was the rudest person I ever met. Every time you asked him a question or informed him of a problem that needed attention he'd be sarcastic or you'd get your ass chewed for bothering him, just an ass to deal with. Then I realized that I knew more about procedures than he did. As time went on it became apparent that he was not qualified to even sweep the lab and could not begin to sit at a bench and crossmatch blood. All his rudeness and anger was an attempt to cover his total lack of knowledge. I get the same vibe from some guys behind gun counters.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I stopped going to Bass Pro when they had M&P's in their ad. I asked to look at one and the guy wouldn't take the trigger lock off. I asked him why. He said it was policy. Down the counter, theire is an older gentlemen handling a firearm with the trigger lock off...... I asked him again what was the policy. He told me it was up to his discretion if the customer could handle the gun without a trigger lock or not since he was concerned for his safety. I just looked at him dumbfounded and wanted SOOOOO bad to let him know I was carrying an XDsc9. I didn't get a free gun out of it, but did get $25 for his idiocy and the satisfaction of buying the gun somewhere else.

Oh, and I am not black, and didn't have the beard at the time.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I think you are trying to make a race issue out of this and this was not my intension!

Umm.... no he isn't making it an issue of race...how dare you accuse him of such a thing...you're the racist by saying "My wife, who is black, wrote Bass Pro...blah blah blah" Who cares where your wife's great, great, great, great grandparents lived...we're all Americans now. That makes about as much sense as me saying "My girlfriend, who is white and can't cook, wrote Bass Pro... blah, blah, blah. You used your wife ethnicity to get what you wanted..it's called playing the race card...shame on you. If she truly e-mailed Bass Pro without mentioning her race then why did you make it a point to tell us she was black?? Guess what...the world is full of "rude and mean spirited people" and they don't discriminate. The counter help is rude to me all the time and being 100% Scottish you can't get much "whiter" than me. It's attitudes like yours that perpetuate racism in this country.

Top Bottom