I installed a new laser sight on my 3" Judge SS!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    my question would be wall penetration...with a 3 yr old and an 8 month old sleeping across my house...9mm etc could risk the intruders life along with my children...so what say the experts?? sorry if off topic but it relates to the proposed inadequate penetration of the judge type weapon...

If it won't go through Sheetrock it won't do much to a person.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    my question would be wall penetration...with a 3 yr old and an 8 month old sleeping across my house...9mm etc could risk the intruders life along with my children...so what say the experts?? sorry if off topic but it relates to the proposed inadequate penetration of the judge type weapon...

Modern 9mm JHP ammo has far less risk of Over Penetration than older ammo. However knowing what's beyond your target is still key.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If it won't go through Sheetrock it won't do much to a person.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

For anyone that cares- here's a 3rd party test on several different loads in the judge. It's pretty awful.

the summary for you lazy buggers:

Lessons learned:
    1. Jack bought this pistol for snakes and it looks like a fine tool for that job.

2. Birdshot, in any gauge, is for little birds.

3. Buckshot out of a .410 does not penetrate enough to be an effective personal defense load.

4. The rifled slug was also a disappointment and did not have enough weight or power or penetration to be effective as a defense load.

5. The .45 Long Colt loads had plenty of penetration and would be the preferred defense load for this pistol.

6. It's fun to bust clays with this pistol.

And, as usual, it's always fun to shoot stuff.

Thanks to Jack for the loan of the pistol and thanks to Tman for the photo and water hauling help

Last edited:

Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA

Already seen it and found others that said differently........my testings found the direct opposite of boxoftruth. You can find good reviews and bad reviews of any weapon out there! Do a youtube or search....no one agrees on every weapon. The latest Hand Guns (2013 Buyers Guide) gives it a more than adequate home defense weapon.

Thanks...................bobby

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    if you have a link i'd enjoy reading a positive review of the gun. Even the "good" ones I've read still state that its only effective at 1-2 yards.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

Already seen it and found others that said differently........my testings found the direct opposite of boxoftruth. You can find good reviews and bad reviews of any weapon out there! Do a youtube or search....no one agrees on every weapon. The latest Hand Guns (2013 Buyers Guide) gives it a more than adequate home defense weapon.

I assume there are no paid advertisements from Taraus or S&W in the awful gun rang you cited?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    not sure how to interpret your post.

my link is to a review that absolutely trashed the judge for SD, and no... no advertisements from taurus or S&W obviously lol

if there WERE, im certain that they withdrew after reading the review. :p

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

my link is to a review that absolutely trashed the judge for SD, and no... no advertisements from taurus or S&W obviously lol

That's why he didn't quote you.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

He's not referring to your link. He's referring to:

The latest Hand Guns (2013 Buyers Guide)

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    i too am curious about the experts that recommend either of these "shotgun revolvers" for SD? And anyone else that would recommend covering the sights with a cheap laser?

maybe we should have a thread arguing the judge vs a glock now? We seem to have at least one guy that readily defends this gun over a glock. Purtty much no one was really on an all out defense of the a 3k 1911, just devils advocate.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA

Pretty much everyone agrees the judge is a terrible defensive pistol. It's better than a stick, but not by a whole lot unless you load it with .45LC. But as long as you Know that, more power to you. Some guys like to roll with a .32.

No one wants to get shot with anything. But given the choice, I'd much rather take an ass full of .410 than a few rounds of modern pistol ammo. That should tell you something.

The judge makes a great farm gun. We use it around the farm for pest control.

As for the penetration issues of 9mm etc, that's a different thread. But if your ammo won't penetrate drywall, what makes anyone think it would be effective at stopping people?

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Mine is used for pest control as well. It is the absolute cat's ass for killing things that slither. Pops the head right off and sends them off to snake hell. Lately though, I've been using a Bond Arms 410/45LC Derringer. So much easier to carry and so much lighter.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Thanks for the candid and honest opinion! I was just a try to see if I like it and not to turn this into a "I hate the Judge" post.

I do own a bunch more weapons and all readily available. I bought the Judge because I thought it was a neat revolver and after shooting it with all types of ammo and after patterning it at all kinds of targets. I think it's worthy of a home defense weapon. Now the laser might be in question, but all the reviews and after checking the company and at the price, it didn't hurt to try. If I find any weakness in it...it's coming off.

................bobby

Do you have $20 lasers on all of your weapons?

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Thoughts on 410 pistol snake guns like the Judge?
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1350002

Lots of good info in that thread.

JR1572

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Good snake gun that can also fire 45 colt semi-accurately if the need arises. There are some decent 45 colt SD loads, but then you have to deal with the light rifling on the bbl and the long jump from the cylinder to get to the bbl. The low penetration of 410 out the short bbl is also a plus for snakes. I'd still carry it out in the woods if it wasn't so damn heavy. The weight makes it a comfortable shooter even with buckshot, but my fat ass gets tired humping it all over.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom