I just dont get the 40 cal.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Im on my phone right now but I'll look later... I think I've read in more than one place that the 9 and 45, regardless how big each projectile may be, are equally lethal. I'm not talking about how people say "well yeah, if I shoot you in the eye with a 22 you're going to die." Yeah, the .45 is a little bigger, but is the "punch" or "wallop" or whatever really that much bigger? Or at all?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but was't the 40 born because the FBI wanted to adopt a more potent pistol round and tried the 10mm, but it was too much for some of them? For some reason the 10mm projectile was locked on and decided on and the 40 Short & Weak was born.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55988

Last edited:

SHOT1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Metairie
    I really wasnt looking to start a caliber war. Just wanted to know some of the reasons people chose 40s. And it makes sense that if the 40 caliber gun feels more comfy and makes u more confident that u would pick it over a 45. Thats understandible and seems legit enough to me.

I know that the 9 vs 40 vs 45 is an eternal debate, and the intent was not to try to go there in this thread.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I really wasnt looking to start a caliber war. Just wanted to know some of the reasons people chose 40s. And it makes sense that if the 40 caliber gun feels more comfy and makes u more confident that u would pick it over a 45. Thats understandible and seems legit enough to me.

I know that the 9 vs 40 vs 45 is an eternal debate, and the intent was not to try to go there in this thread.
    So your saying .45 is better right ?:run:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    If I was restricted to ball ammo I would be packing a .40
    no questions asked. If I had to choose between .40 and .45 I would probably go .40 based on the performance of the latest generation of BJHPs in the most recent FBI test.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I would choose .40 over .45, but 9mm over either one. Capacity and cost associated with practice far outweigh any advantages that the other calibers may have in my mind.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I shoot .45s because I'm a cowboy at heart and that's a throw back to that generation. I like they way they feel under recoil. It's a good ball round. .45 ACP or .45 Colt are my handgun rounds of choice.

That being said, with .40 S&W, you get more rounds in a more compact package than .45 ACP and you get a bigger bullet than the 9mm. It's a good round. I don't see why there's a problem with it.

SHOT1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Metairie
    So your saying .45 is better right ?:run:

For me... yes. I absolutely love shooting my g36 and i feel very confident in it. But this is a personal choice and you wont see me waving the 45 flag at other people. Yiu have to be confident in yourself and your gun, so if the 40 creams your twinky, then we can all still hug and sing kumbaya by a camp fire. ;-)

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    For me... yes. I absolutely love shooting my g36 and i feel very confident in it. But this is a personal choice and you wont see me waving the 45 flag at other people. Yiu have to be confident in yourself and your gun, so if the 40 creams your twinky, then we can all still hug and sing kumbaya by a camp fire. ;-)

I'll opt out of that last part if it's all okay. :D

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    I chose the 40 because I really like my Beretta 96. I also have a complete M9 upper I slide on when I want to shoot 9mm.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    This I like. I just got a 96 slide to swap into the .40 world. It's nice to have a frame that goes from .9MM, to .40S&W, to.22LR.
    I chose the 40 because I really like my Beretta 96. I also have a complete M9 upper I slide on when I want to shoot 9mm.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    Seriously?
    Short & Weak?
    Damn, how many times have you been shot by a .40?

I have not been shot with a .40.
    I have been shot with a .45-- it was no picnic.
    Read up on how the .40 S&W came to be. The FBI agents could not manage the 10mm that was adopted after the Miami 1986 debacle. The .40 was developed as a watered down load that could be managed by the majority of agents at that time.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    I have not been shot with a .40.
    I have been shot with a .45-- it was no picnic.
    Read up on how the .40 S&W came to be. The FBI agents could not manage the 10mm that was adopted after the Miami 1986 debacle. The .40 was developed as a watered down load that could be managed by the majority of agents at that time.

Damn, I did not expect that answer. LOL

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Not to get into the debate on which round is better however a full size Para .45 acp carries 16 rounds. Sorry Spent Brass, but with some of the mags I have it really carries 19 rounds.
    Still haven't been shot with either and don't want to.

Bryan Guillory
    Louisiana Gun
    225-389-6077

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I would choose .40 over .45, but 9mm over either one. Capacity and cost associated with practice far outweigh any advantages that the other calibers may have in my mind.
    I'm one of those freaks of nature that likes the 9mm . I own a 45 acp and like it too . The 40 doesn't appeal to me but I'm not knocking it .

Last edited:

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    If I was restricted to ball ammo I would be packing a .40
    no questions asked. If I had to choose between .40 and .45 I would probably go .40 based on the performance of the latest generation of BJHPs in the most recent FBI test.

Linky please?

To OP, I got .40 in part b/c I got a good deal on my G27, wanted a little more punch than the 9's I've shot, but not quite the price of the .45 ammo - it's a perfect middle ground for me. 9, 40, and 45 will all kill, I just like my .40 and feel comfortable w/ it. Plus I can drop in a .357 Sig barrel to my gun and use the same mags, which will SHOOT THROUGH THE EARTH TO CHINA.

Top Bottom