I think I found my motivation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Just left the doctor to do a pre-screening for life insurance...... My BMI was 25.4 which tips me into the overweight category. :mad: I sure as Hell don't look overwight, but I do feel like crap. I think this may be the motivation I need to get off of my lazy @$$. I've always said, "Well I don't look fat so to Hell with exercise and diet." I guess it's time to step away from the rice and gravy. :wtc:

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    it's not the rice it's the gravy
    On the other hand...it is the rice. Stick away from carbs as much as possible. Oh, and do some research on rice. A lot of experts are saying that it is quite bad for you, especially lately since there are high concentrations of Mercury (I think that was the element) in rice. A decent gravy won't be bad for you as long as you don't overdo it :)

mtalbert

Deer Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Monroe
    Yeah man I stepped on a scale about 3 months ago and almost passed out. Since then I totally changed my diet and started a regular exercise routine. It takes dedication but after the first month its easy. I'm down 30 pounds in 3 months. I'm still looking to lose another 10-15. I feel as good now as I did at 18.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Yeah man I stepped on a scale about 3 months ago and almost passed out. Since then I totally changed my diet and started a regular exercise routine. It takes dedication but after the first month its easy. I'm down 30 pounds in 3 months. I'm still looking to lose another 10-15. I feel as good now as I did at 18.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Congrats on the progress!! I stayed around 160 for years. I traded in a physically demanding job for an office job in October 2011 and to date I have put on 22 pounds. I would like to get back down to 170 and get a little more muscle mass.

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    BMI is ********. I'm 6'5 and 260lbs and it says I'm obese. I get a health screening every quarter for work and the screener always says, "sorry for having to check the obese box because you are in better shape than 95% of the people who are in the normal BMI range".

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    BMI can be bullcrap, but the extremes don't lie. A lot of people who are legitimately obese use it as an excuse to ignore their legitimate obesity.

My motivation for being in shape? Well, usually it's sex. Pretty much always been sex. I'm out of shape now and I'm like "damn, I gotta step it up if I am going to pull young hot tail" so I'm back to a better diet after letting myself slip, and I started moving more.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    BMI can be bullcrap, but the extremes don't lie. A lot of people who are legitimately obese use it as an excuse to ignore their legitimate obesity.

My motivation for being in shape? Well, usually it's sex. Pretty much always been sex. I'm out of shape now and I'm like "damn, I gotta step it up if I am going to pull young hot tail" so I'm back to a better diet after letting myself slip, and I started moving more.

Hahahahaha. Sex is a powerful motivator. Eventhough I'm married and I get it whether I'm 100 lbs or 600 lbs, it's always better when you're in shape.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Try Basmati rice. It looks like a white, extra long grain rice but has a much lower glycemic index. Other than that as a basic rule of thumb try to abstain from anything "white" or "processed" and leave the cokes alone.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Try Basmati rice. It looks like a white, extra long grain rice but has a much lower glycemic index. Other than that as a basic rule of thumb try to abstain from anything "white" or "processed" and leave the cokes alone.

I'll take a look at that. Thanks.......... I haven't drank cokes since high school. Too damn hot in a welding shop for that. I just got used to not having them and never went back. Now beer and coffee on the other hand, that's some of my big probelms

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    lets start with this: BMI is a general indicator, and a very poor reflection of your overall health. It is a simple grade not unlike a height/weight chart.

By BMI only Jay Cutler - repeat Mr. Olypmia - would be "grossly obese" by BMI standards. Nevermind the 3% bodyfat percentage.

But "i feel like crap" should be the real motivator. Move more, Eat Less, or do some combination thereto. Good luck.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I'd suggest loseit.com they've got a iphone and android app. Just track everything you eat and see where you're eating too much. I've been just following their suggested amount based on height and weight and am down 46.1lbs this morning since May 10th. My Fitness Pal (MFP) is also another very popular one.

There's lots and lots of 5K trainer apps out there. Zen labs has a free C25K iphone app for it that works well, probably on android too, or maybe the Zombies 5K trainer.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Started at 265 lost 10 lbs/month for 7 months the last 15/20 lbs took a little longer. I made it down to 175 and stayed there for quite a while until I got cocky and put back on 15/20 lbs. This was a couple years ago. Last couple of weeks I've been hitting the diet hard again and have dropped another 5 lbs. For me it's been 50 carbs/day=weight loss 100/day=maintain weight. The biggest motivating factor for me is the lack of bloat and lethargy after a meal, and sex of course. Oh yeah I forgot no more heartburn/acid reflux either.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I'll take a look at that. Thanks.......... I haven't drank cokes since high school. Too damn hot in a welding shop for that. I just got used to not having them and never went back. Now beer and coffee on the other hand, that's some of my big probelms
    I've also heard lost of good things about Jasmine rice and there's a brand developed by the LSU ag department called Jazzmen and it's grown locally. I can't get it here in Texas but next time I go back to Lafayette I'm gonna look for it.

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    On the other hand...it is the rice. Stick away from carbs as much as possible. Oh, and do some research on rice. A lot of experts are saying that it is quite bad for you, especially lately since there are high concentrations of Mercury (I think that was the element) in rice. A decent gravy won't be bad for you as long as you don't overdo it :)

My neighbors are Indian. They eat rice by the truck load. The women are very fit as well as the men.
    I guess when you mix rice with curry instead of beef gravy it blows through the system a little faster.:flamed:

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    Brown rice and not the instant kind...

lost 40 lbs since march. Eat correctly, 6 meals a day (small)

except for breakfast (1 bowl oatmeal plain w honey and cinnamon 2 eggs and the rest egg whites protein coffee shake)

Greek yogurt vanilla no extra sugar crap, raw almonds, carrots, natural peanut butter, etc etc

run 2-5 miles every other day (at least 2 miles a day) plus quick high intensity work out was my way.

Saturday am is a long run, then drink eat pretty much what I want...ie cheat day...Sunday maybe one cheat meal (not crazy bad) and then get back on track.

Protein protein protein. Key to fat loss.

Eating for life (book) is a good base on what to eat. The rest is research tons of crap on the Internet.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom