If you only had 1 knife to survive

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    e9d80a406973cfd9dbd6db36e5724d39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Some variation of the Busse Team Gemini or Battle Mistress, a Kabar or a Cold Steel SRK or Trail Master.

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    Survival is small game, small crafting ( snares , deadfalls), precise notching for shelter to stay together, and removing thorns and splinters,

try skinning a frog , mouse , small rabbit with a hawk or machate like blade

that festering thorn between your toes causing agonizing pain ? what use the machate to cut your foot off ?

and you would be suprised how much you need a dead strike on the pummel .

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Survival is small game, small crafting ( snares , deadfalls), precise notching for shelter to stay together, and removing thorns and splinters,

try skinning a frog , mouse , small rabbit with a hawk or machate like blade

that festering thorn between your toes causing agonizing pain ? what use the machate to cut your foot off ?

and you would be suprised how much you need a dead strike on the pummel .

This kind of response shows me you have no idea of how to use a hawk or machete.

Most tasks can be completed with a 2" blade Mora. Surprisingly to most, you don't even need a knife to create a fire.

Last edited:

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    If you only had 1 knife to survive???

1 knife is what we are talking about correct ?

I would love to see your awesome skills remove a thorn (fishhook etc) from a sensitive area with a Machete.

and mora are awesome knives I own 5 use them for many tasks

but 1 knife , just 1

John Plaster still advocates the airforce survival knife in his courses<<< but I am sure he doesn't know how to use a hawke or a machete either

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you only had 1 knife to survive???

1 knife is what we are talking about correct ?

I would love to see your awesome skills remove a thorn (fishhook etc) from a sensitive area with a Machete.

and mora are awesome knives I own 5 use them for many tasks

but 1 knife , just 1

John Plaster still advocates the airforce survival knife in his courses<<< but I am sure he doesn't know how to use a hawke or a machete either

I posted my "one knife," a Bark River Bravo 2, but I'd rather a hawk... Deal with it.
    Obviously you prefer a knife. That's cool, brochacho, I'll take my hawk any day.

BTW, I don't go out in the woods nekkid, and Gringo didn't say what kind of TEOTWAKI event we're role playing here. I'm not too worried about removing fishhooks from my butt cheek when I'm riding the whale through post-apocalyptic Baton Rouge.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    BTW, I don't go out in the woods nekkid, and Gringo didn't say what kind of TEOTWAKI event we're role playing here. I'm not too worried about removing fishhooks from my butt cheek when I'm riding the whale through post-apocalyptic Baton Rouge.

Well I'm not digging a fishhook out of my junk with one of your fancy Injun hatchets and I ain't letting you do it for me either.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Sog Seal Team Elite that I mentioned earlier. The full tang blade ends with a hammer at the end. Leave the knife in the sheath and you have a hammer as well. Add to that a nice blade that is the perfect size and you're good to go. On, and I chopped down a 6 inch diameter tree with mine once...it took about 20 minutes, but it did work.

large_5758_SOG-Seal-Team-Elite-SE37N-04.jpg

SOG6.png

SOG8.png

Images all from Google Images - I didn't have time to take a pic of mine.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Agreed. Handy to have at rare times, but an insane pain in the ass to sharpen.

I've never had a use for serrations, and most knives have serrations in the wrong place to even be useful.

In all seriousness, I'd take either one of these blades and be just fine:

24169614385_208e9f9e1e_b.jpg

The top one is a buddies, but I'll have mine soon. The little one has seen years of abuse already, and it's held up great.

Top Bottom