If you only had 1 knife to survive

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Mora

iyaaq4blyqbusu98ne.jpg

Do you like the carbon blade or the Sandvik?

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I like the little one. What is it?

Also thanks to this thread, I just started looking for one of my "white whales" and finally scored one. It will be here Thursday!

9y3jsuoutp8h9am9h44a.jpg

Any suggestions on how to carry it without a belt? I wear suspenders and slacks for my job and have become partial to them.

I'm not familiar with that knife... What is it? the symbol looks familiar, but not totally sure.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Do you like the carbon blade or the Sandvik?

Both are fine. I own more Morakniv's than any other blade. I only have one sandvik blade and I honestly don't see the benefit of having stainless over carbon. I've used my carbon blades for years and have only had minimal rusting issues when I was cutting wet vegetation and didn't wipe the blade off after all the work was done. It's very important to wipe down carbon blades. It doesn't have to be thorough, just get the excess moisture off. Oil your blades lightly and you will never have issues.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I'm not familiar with that knife... What is it? the symbol looks familiar, but not totally sure.

bsoileau24 is correct, Shivworks Clinch Pick. I guess the best way to explain it is it is designed for up close work, or "hug and Shreddity McStab" action.

Both are fine. I own more Morakniv's than any other blade. I only have one sandvik blade and I honestly don't see the benefit of having stainless over carbon. I've used my carbon blades for years and have only had minimal rusting issues when I was cutting wet vegetation and didn't wipe the blade off after all the work was done. It's very important to wipe down carbon blades. It doesn't have to be thorough, just get the excess moisture off. Oil your blades lightly and you will never have issues.

I have both and prefer the stainless because I am lazy and forgetful. I have a Bark River santoku in need of some shamefully serious reworking that I attribute to this character flaw.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

bsoileau24 is correct, Shivworks Clinch Pick. I guess the best way to explain it is it is designed for up close work, or "hug and Shreddity McStab" action.

I have both and prefer the stainless because I am lazy and forgetful. I have a Bark River santoku in need of some shamefully serious reworking that I attribute to this character flaw.

For a $6 knife though... I'll take carbon :D

Now if I'm dropping a few hundos, it's gonna be 3V.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Does anyone else dislike kydex holsters for knives besides me?

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Does anyone else dislike kydex holsters for knives besides me?

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

Kydex for knives is the best thing since sliced bread. Leather gets awfully disgusting when it gets wet. Kydex laughs at moisture.

I've owned a few ESEE's, never a 5, but the few I've had didn't impress me. They are very nice for money, but I just didn't like the coating and I didn't want to try stipping one. If I can ever find a deal on another, I may try it. I think ESEE sells them stripped now too.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    First Edge 5050 (RHS) and the First Edge 5150 (LHS):

308f0bc0e672b3cc07f4acb5f4cedf03.jpg

-----------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Last edited:

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    One other superb blade is the FirstEdge 5050 which is the blade used by Naval Special Warfare uses for their cold weather survival course on Kodiak Island - or that's the official story.

5c148f60585e26e191abf23b57884481.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    One knife? Only one?!
    I found my Kershaw Kukri to be a heck of a survival tool. Big and stout enough to chop shelter wood and sharp enough to skin an animal, but the size might be an issue. High carbon steel really holds a sharp edge you can shave hair with.
    But for the small work I like my CRKT fixed blades. They don't get any more sharp.
    9cd6341debba82192f8c68744afff59b.jpg

8690626bc012184edd2d01553e3cd46d.jpg

51d832f5653ab07c8e6aafb8bd9b501f.jpg

Sorry I don't have better pics of the kershaw, but anybody looking for a mini machete like the Gerbers, Cold Steel, etc.. You should check out the Kershaw first

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The Morakniv Garberg is also a phenomenal blade and reasonably priced, too.

4f23b2c9ddc291b541482d907216c0dc.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    One other superb blade is the FirstEdge 5050 which is the blade used by Naval Special Warfare uses for their cold weather survival course on Kodiak Island - or that's the official story.

That knife is a ripoff of an ESEE-5.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA

I'm not really in to collecting knives, but do carry a basic knife daily.
    I was curious about this FirstEdge 5050 and looked it up on Amazon...WTF??? $300+ for a knife? No way in hell, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    First Edge 5050

308f0bc0e672b3cc07f4acb5f4cedf03.jpg

The one on the left is the 5150 Field Knife while the bigger one is the 5050.

As far as it being a knock-off of the ESEE is concerned you may wish to read up on it.

Cost? Well, they ain't giving it away for sure. The alloy is expensive; very expensive and that will play no small role in its cost.

Would the Fallkniven do the job? Yep. But it's not budget priced, either. It, too, uses expensive materials and its manufacturing process will drive up cost to a large degree, too.

The Mora I like a lot. Of the three I
    posted its the one I have. The problem with it and the Fallkniven is that they won't perform well with food preparation due to their grinds: Fallkniven - convex and Mora: Scandi. So slicing thin section tomatoes won't be something you'll be doing.

Nothing at all wrong with an ESEE or TOPS or Rat Cutlery. I just prefer stainless to carbon steel when one starts to consider longer term usage. Especially in areas where humidity is high.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom