Indoctrinating Kids In Ascension Parish Schools (Revisited)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    why not?

I got in trouble in second grade for coloring a duck blue. The teacher told me I was wrong, and I got a :( and had to show my parents.

Dad: "Did the teacher say to color it a specific color?" No. She said "color it like a real duck"

Dad: "Have you ever seen a Blue Duck?" Yes. Grandma showed me her pet duck, it was blue.

When I (we) confronted the teacher, I said "just because you've never seen a blue duck doesn't mean that I haven't."

The lesson from dad: Challenge your educators and stand by what you know is right.

(We had recently moved to new mexico from japan- now that I think about it I'll bet shes never seen a white duck either.)

Exactly! She's was an ideologue! ;) or a dumbass.

The Blue Duck! (Hymenolaimus malacorhynchos)

Let's take this Blue Duck for a example. It's the same ******** ideologues are using to hold back blacks in America or making excuses for! Because a black child has never used a saucer under a cup, should not preclude him/her from knowing what a saucer is.

And most assuredly should not be used as a crutch for why he/she can't learn in the country!

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Reasoning does NOT come from experience, it comes from being intellectually challenged.

You can apply reasoning and be incorrect, (I cite as reference any thread on bayoushooter) but alas, to even answer I've considered my viewpoint and those of others.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I've got a toddler, yes- but pertinent to this discussion I've got 6 nephews that live next door, age 4-10. And yes, we have remarkably intelligent discussions.

ask any child "Why" - to anything. Reasoning results with the inevitable beginning of the sentence "because". Don't accept "I don't know"

Hell in toys R us a month ago I discussed with an 8 yr old nephew:

which one do you like better?

"this one"

"Why?"

"Because he has wings. the other one doesn't."

But the other one has a sword!

"If he has wings he can just fly away."

The child has applied logic and reasoning- even if its irrelevant logic or reasoning that we don't agree with. It all starts with "Why"

I'm not pretending to be some child psychology expert. But I was raised this way, and I apply it to children in my family- with noticeable results. I'm just proposing an idea that maybe the basis of Common Core is irrelevant because analytical thinking and reasoning can be taught at home with exponential impact.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Then you should know why 7 year olds aren't ready for this.

The brain only develops so fast. You can't have wisdom as a youth.

You have to experience things, live through things, learn things in order to gain the ability to apply logic.

Kids have it of course, but not much, it takes time. What's your toddler capable of? not much, no one's is.

You can try and teach them things, but there's only so much that is possible.

That's why I said, experience matters. We can't expect 3 year olds to do what 7 year olds can, etc etc.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Then you should know why 7 year olds aren't ready for this.

The brain only develops so fast. You can't have wisdom as a youth.

You have to experience things, live through things, learn things in order to gain the ability to apply logic.

Kids have it of course, but not much, it takes time. What's your toddler capable of? not much, no one's is.

You can try and teach them things, but there's only so much that is possible.

That's why I said, experience matters. We can't expect 3 year olds to do what 7 year olds can, etc etc.

No, I don't expect a 7yr old to debate green energy or foreign policy. But a 7yr old is quite capable of answering "because..." to any question "why".

Heck ask a 7yr old why their favorite cartoon character can fly. "because he's got a special ring (whatever)"

What if he loses his ring?

"umm..."

btw, these conversations are usually absolutely hilarious.

I'll repeat it: I'm just proposing an idea that maybe the basis of Common Core is irrelevant because analytical thinking and reasoning can be taught at home with exponential impact. Don't sell kids short, they are remarkably intelligent in their own capacity. it's up to us to challenge them- not a teacher, a textbook, or a government backed educational platform.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    btw, these conversations are usually absolutely hilarious.

Having a toddler I'm sure you can attest to those stories,
    but just wait until 6. My goodness....... My son read his Children's Bible cover to cover like 5 times.

I can't even begin to discuss the amount of questions.
    Usually involving WHAT they look like, WHERE on the planet, HOW did they dress,
    WHAT kind of weapons, WHERE was Jesus nailed though Hand/wrist, and so on and so fourth.

MANKIND Story of us ALL and The Bible(mini-Series)
    have provided some much needed relief and gave visual aid for sure.

The few things we try to never tell our kids.
    "Hang on/Wait a second"
    "Just b/c"

.....that is a challenge like nothing I've ever faced before :dogkeke:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Having a toddler I'm sure you can attest to those stories,
    but just wait until 6. My goodness....... My son read his Children's Bible cover to cover like 5 times.

I can't even begin to discuss the amount of questions.
    Usually involving WHAT they look like, WHERE on the planet, HOW did they dress,
    WHAT kind of weapons, WHERE was Jesus nailed though Hand/wrist, and so on and so fourth.

MANKIND Story of us ALL and The Bible(mini-Series)
    have provided some much needed relief and gave visual aid for sure.

The few things we try to never tell our kids.
    "Hang on/Wait a second"
    "Just b/c"

.....that is a challenge like nothing I've ever faced before :dogkeke:

LOL see, thats the double edge of the sword. You can't answer "just because" or "i dont know" either lol.

I've weaseled out with "Good question! Lets find out" www.google.com...

our families were both raised in households that never used "because I said so" as an answer, and we are trying to follow suit.

I'd say with detailed questions like your little one is asking that a trip to the national history museum may soon be in order. Dinosaur exhibits alone would probably be a major appeal.

Last edited:

22doberman22

choot'em
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    Prairieville
    I have spoke with a guy who works on wind turbines and from his experience on routine maintenance is a horrible mess. From what I was told just for ONE turbine they would fill a dumpster with waste oil and rags. I would say they are not teaching or want to mention the other side of "clean" energy and what goes into it. So not only does it kill birds its also not so green.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    our families were both raised in households that never used "because I said so" as an answer, and we are trying to follow suit.

It's freaking HARD! :mamoru:

I've sometimes used "Son, you'll learn that later on" ...
    which is usually followed promptly with "Oh ok Dad.............................................when"?

....mother of god....

:dogkeke:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    It's freaking HARD! :mamoru:

I've sometimes used "Son, you'll learn that later on" ...
    which is usually followed promptly with "Oh ok Dad.............................................when"?

....mother of god....

:dogkeke:

lol im not at that point yet but im sure it'll be entertaining

10 year old said "no girls allowed!" to the neice and her friend once. I said "be nice to girls! you'll like them later I promise."

"Why?!"

Wife looks at me "yeah honey, why?"

Well, because they change and then you'll like them. :)

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have spoke with a guy who works on wind turbines and from his experience on routine maintenance is a horrible mess. From what I was told just for ONE turbine they would fill a dumpster with waste oil and rags. I would say they are not teaching or want to mention the other side of "clean" energy and what goes into it. So not only does it kill birds its also not so green.

Propaganda mandates that to prove your point, you must hide the "Inconvenient Truths!" :p

Let's see if any of you get that one!

J.Ellis

One for the road
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Madisonville,LA
    I am not sure if this was brought up but a 5th grader wrote that. I mean the way it was written looks to me like a 1st grader at best. If that is how he is writing in the 5th grade we do not have to worry about him making any important decisions latter in his life besides if he has to put extra salt on the fries.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I am not sure if this was brought up but a 5th grader wrote that. I mean the way it was written looks to me like a 1st grader at best. If that is how he is writing in the 5th grade we do not have to worry about him making any important decisions latter in his life besides if he has to put extra salt on the fries.

in his defense, writing in manuscript is a quickly dying necessity.

in ten years "writing a note" will be like "making a smoke signal". why would you ever do that?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Um, it's my kid! He has a clinically diagnosed medical condition that affects his handwriting, not his thought process; thank you very much!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    yeah it was pretty obviously just bad handwriting. so what? hell mine isn't much better. I cant remember the last time i wrote anything down for another person to see anyway. It'll be irrelevant in his generation emperor.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    yeah it was pretty obviously just bad handwriting. so what? hell mine isn't much better. I cant remember the last time i wrote anything down for another person to see anyway. It'll be irrelevant in his generation emperor.

It is a classic example of how a person can have an opinion without taking other possibilities into consideration. The old adage, "Walk a mile in my shoes!" comes to mind. :mamoru:

And I am not at all offended by his lack of understanding nor the least bothered by his insinuation. Hell, I've been here for over two years, and the 9 year old that wrote that is smarter than half of the people I've encountered. :D

Now let's get back to the indoctrination!

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    You are not wrong here. I asked my 15 year old to help me change a water separator on our boat so he could learn how to fix certain things. He declined to help.

Kids today have it good, there was no "decline to help" option when my Dad asked me to help... ;) Now that I am older, at least I have input into when I am going to come over and help him with something.

Top Bottom