Is Rand Paul Crazy?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    So Rand Paul made a comment about how he thought the civil rights laws should not force private owners to serve people if they did not want to. In other words if a private person wants to discriminate based on race or any other reason then that is ok. Is this crazy or does it make since?

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I'm all for it........if I own a business I should be able to decide who I do biznes with

with out giving a reason, just cuz ..should be enuff

crawfish

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    south of 90
    Think he got suckered into that statement on an MSNBC interview. He's for no gov't intervention, but it got twisted to make him look like a racist.

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    He's right. But that would be stupid to have a business and cut out part of your income because you do not like one race. That would just give more money to owners that are a bit smarter. Just let the business fail on it's own.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    So Rand Paul made a comment about how he thought the civil rights laws should not force private owners to serve people if they did not want to. In other words if a private person wants to discriminate based on race or any other reason then that is ok. Is this crazy or does it make since?

It's not crazy to me. Private business should be private. However, if you conduct business in a racist manner, you will just be shooting yourself in the foot.

The gov should not need to intefere in that.

Just like walmart has the right to chuck you out for having a gun.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    It's not crazy to me. Private business should be private. However, if you conduct business in a racist manner, you will just be shooting yourself in the foot.

The gov should not need to intefere in that.

Just like walmart has the right to chuck you out for having a gun.

Agreed I am not a minority but I have lots of friends who are and if they weren't treated equally I would no longer do business with the establishment.

Last edited:

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    So most of you would say discrimination should not be against the law? Don't you think all people should have the same chances in life and isn't that one of the roles of government to make sure people are treated fairly and the same as everyone else.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    So most of you would say discrimination should not be against the law? Don't you think all people should have the same chances in life and isn't that one of the roles of government to make sure people are treated fairly and the same as everyone else.

Not at all!!! Where in the constitution does it say governement exists to make things fair for everyone?!

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods

If you don't want me in your house, business, car, thats your right
    What if it becomes mandatory to share food with illegals form your home cause congress thinks they need an even brake ??

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    i've been an advocate of that for years. if you won't to invest YOUR money in a business you should be free to run it as you please. you just have to be willing to face the consiquinces of your actions. if saying "i refuse to serve a persone of X raxce" causes people to refuse to do business with you that is on you. the same thing with forceing businesses to make a place handicap acsessible; you may spend $5000 on a small business and only serve one or two people in that situation per year, all of a sudden you're losing money on that forced investment.

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    So the government is not supposed to make sure we all have the same chances? I thought that was the reasons behind public schools and affirmative action. People deserve an education so we have public schools. People may not be hired for a job based solely on the color of the skin so we have affirmative action. What about the state laws that force restaurants to be smoke free. Is that just another example of government stepping on private rights?

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    IMO you are confusing "equal chance" with "equal rights".

Everyone should be treated the same in the justice system, everyone should be able to vote.

I didn't have the "chances" that Bill Gates had, but that doesn't mean I have to be more or less successful than he is - likewise, many people who didn't have the "chances" I have had will be more successful than me.

Private businesses should be able to do as they wish and succeed or fail based on the merit of the service/product the provide, and if they wish to employ a certain type of person, or serve a certain type of person - so be it.

Be careful when you empower the gov't to tell someone else how things should be - you run the risk you will be on the other side of the coin one day.

So why do we have public schools and AA if it is not the governments place to make us equal?

mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    The Civil Rights Act basically eliminated private property rights. Much of our society was destroyed by it and will never recover. The Federal Government side stepped any idea that proverty property was the sole ownership of the individual but that as a trustee of the State. Another step toward total Marxism.

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    You are so fixated on MAKING us equal, I don't know if I can explain this...

Lincoln said you can't make a weak man strong by making a strong man weak, or something to that effect.

When you talk about MAKING people equal, that is what the net effect is.

Why do we have public schools? It creates middle class. Otherwise you have a class with no education and a class with a private education. It is for the betterment of society, not to make us "equal".

Why do we have AA? Books have been written about that, you'll have to research and form your own conclusions, but -

- A gov't that MAKES you equal destroys everyone.
    I am just playing devil's advocate on this, whoever I do disagree with you on the public schools issue. I think it is just another example of people trying to make everything fair. Public school has not created a middle class, capitalism has. Public school have not made people in general smarter. Common since is not very common. The only think public schools have done are cost people money and increased literacy rates. The last one is a good thing but I feel like literacy would have also increased, again because of the wealth capitalism has brought. Does everyone feel the same about anti-smoking laws, also. I hate the smell of smoke but it's a sad day when a bar or resturant owner can't have a smoking section.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    The only thing I see the government doing is giving PREFERENCE to minorities. It makes my blood boil to scroll through medical school discussion forums and seeing people listing 'minority' along side their grades, volunteer history, etc. It shouldn't ****ing matter what color you are. The whole 'equality' ******** is gone way out of hand. There are no civil rights issues, anymore, people just try to create them. I don't see blacks, asians, or native americans getting discriminated against in a professional atmosphere.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I don't see blacks, asians, or native americans getting discriminated against in a professional atmosphere.

Supposedly the only worse color than white on a college application is yellow :P There are are so many well qualified orientals and asians that they fill up the top universities in much greater proportion than their population. As such, lots of these asian minorities get turned down in the name of "equality" and "diversity" in favor of less-qualified whites and other minorities.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Which is wrong. If an Asian guy is better qualified than me, then so be it. Its my fault I'm not on his level. I shouldn't be pampered as if its his fault.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I am just playing devil's advocate on this, whoever I do disagree with you on the public schools issue. I think it is just another example of people trying to make everything fair. Public school has not created a middle class, capitalism has. Public school have not made people in general smarter. Common since is not very common. The only think public schools have done are cost people money and increased literacy rates. The last one is a good thing but I feel like literacy would have also increased, again because of the wealth capitalism has brought. Does everyone feel the same about anti-smoking laws, also. I hate the smell of smoke but it's a sad day when a bar or resturant owner can't have a smoking section.

Captialism created big government
    Free Market brings wealth

Capitalism is a trick word IMHO, russia labeled us capitalist so we assume it must be good, but Capitalism means the government and others are getting a share of your proceeds ( redistrubted )

Free market is when you sell your stuff and keep all the money

Dawg-a-tiks 1 aught 1

Flat tax is how you run a free market limited government

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mmabone
    Top Bottom