Judge Jails Attorney Over Pledge of Allegiance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    That judge may and should loose his job. It is not against the law to not say the Pledge of Allegiance. Any way am I the only one that finds it weird pledging your allegiance to a flag? Really what is the flag going to do for me, and nothing is indivisible. Even the United states.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Inside the Courtroom Judges RULE! It's their courtroom and they each have their own pet peeves.

Anyone here a Judge and understand the kind of rule they have in their own courtroom?

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    Inside the Courtroom Judges RULE! It's their courtroom and they each have their own pet peeves.

Anyone here a Judge and understand the kind of rule they have in their own courtroom?
    Did they buy the courtroom. Do they have different laws in a courtroom? No I understand what you are saying, a judge need to control their courtroom but you can't toss someone in jail just for not saying the pledge.

Last edited:

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    honestly the pledge has always creeped me out a little bit... kinda reminds me of a brainwashing technique (getting little kids to recite it every day )...

I think an judge can pretty much throw you in jail for whatever... just like a cop can arrest you... whether they are right or not is figured out later. I suspect that forcing someone to recite the pledge isn't considered a "lawful order"... thus this will end badly for the judge.

Aaron

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    honestly the pledge has always creeped me out a little bit... kinda reminds me of a brainwashing technique (getting little kids to recite it every day )...

I think an judge can pretty much throw you in jail for whatever... just like a cop can arrest you... whether they are right or not is figured out later. I suspect that forcing someone to recite the pledge isn't considered a "lawful order"... thus this will end badly for the judge.

Aaron

No it won't. I have seen judges sentence people to time for:

1. Dat ain't no problem...after being given probation
    2.Wearing pants that were sagging
    3. Having a cell phone ring
    4. Not sitting down when told to do so.

That is just a few.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA

That is just a few.

I can see how all 4 of those could be considered to interrupt court proceedings. Simply not reciting the words to the pledge, but still standing, well that doesn't seem to iterrupt anything?

I just don't believe judges have unlimited powers in their court room... like if a judge tells you to strip naked and do the macarana (spelling?) ?

Or if a judge orders you to go hit the defendant? I mean.... there's gotta be a limit somewhere.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

I now see your point after a little reading.

Here's someone we all know. A bit different perspective.

John McCain on the Pledge of Allegiance
    http://www.snopes.com/rumors/soapbox/mccain.asp
    (Since most of you believe in Snopes.com so much) ;)

From a speech made by Capt. John S. McCain, USN, (Ret);
    As you may know, I spent five and one half years as a prisoner of war during the Vietnam War. In the early years of our imprisonment, the NVA kept us in solitary confinement or two or three to a cell. In 1971 the NVA moved us from these conditions of isolation into large rooms with as many as 30 to 40 men to a room. This was, as you can imagine, a wonderful change and was a direct result of the efforts of millions of Americans on behalf of a few hundred POWs 10,000 miles from home.

One of the men who moved into my room was a young man named Mike Christian.

Mike came from a small town near Selma, Alabama. He didn't wear a pair of shoes until he was 13 years old. At 17, he enlisted in the US Navy. He later earned a commission by going to Officer Training School. Then he became a Naval Flight Officer and was shot down and captured in 1967.

Mike had a keen and deep appreciation of the opportunities this country-and our military-provide for people who want to work and want to succeed. As part of the change in treatment, the Vietnamese allowed some prisoners to receive packages from home. In some of these packages were handkerchiefs, scarves and other items of clothing. Mike got himself a bamboo needle. Over a period of a couple of months, he created an American flag and sewed on the inside of his shirt.

Every afternoon, before we had a bowl of soup, we would hang Mike's shirt on the wall of the cell and say the Pledge of Allegiance. I know the Pledge of Allegiance may not seem the most important part of our day now, but I can assure you that in that stark cell it was indeed the most important and meaningful event.

One day the Vietnamese searched our cell, as they did periodically, and discovered Mike's shirt with the flag sewn inside, and removed it. That evening they returned, opened the door of the cell, and for the benefit of all us, beat Mike Christian severely for the next couple of hours. Then, they opened the door of the cell and threw him in. We cleaned him up as well as we could.

The cell in which we lived had a concrete slab in the middle on which we slept. Four naked light bulbs hung in each corner of the room. As I said, we tried to clean up Mike as well as we could. After the excitement died down, I looked in the corner of the room, and sitting there beneath that dim light bulb with a piece of red cloth, another shirt and his bamboo needle, was my friend, Mike Christian. He was sitting there with his eyes almost shut from the beating he had received, making another American flag.

He was not making the flag because it made Mike Christian feel better. He was making that flag because he knew how important it was to us to be able to pledge allegiance to our flag and our country.

So the next time you say the Pledge of Allegiance, you must never forget the sacrifice and courage that thousands of Americans have made to build our nation and promote freedom around the world. You must remember our duty, our honor, and our country.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Last edited:

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    When I say you can't I really am saying you can't lawfully. I don't really care if you have "seen it" I have read about Federal LEOs storm a persons house and shoot a man's wife and son. Now this was not lawful but they did it.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA

That is just a few.

None of these things are protected by the First Amendment. Refusing to recite a political pledge is. In fact, there was a SCOTUS case on this very issue.

This judge, apparently, failed constitutional law.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Last edited:

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    This is a result of someone not teaching you the meaning of the pledge.

Here;
    http://www.wvsd.uscourts.gov/outreach/Pledge.htm

Simply put, the pledge is a pledge of things in which the country you live in, stands for which should be obvious when you say it. It's pretty self explanatory when your saying it. At least I thought so ... :confused:

ALSO MUST SEE;
    John McCain on the Pledge of Allegiance
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_mccain_pledge.htm

From a speech made by Capt. John S. McCain, USN, (Ret);
    I don't say the pledge because of the indivisible part. Based on my religious views I feel the only thing that is indivisible is the trinity and my country is not my god.
    As for what Baldrik78 said. I agree. As long as it was not disruptive to the court then the judge was out of line and violated the persons civil liberties.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I don't say the pledge because of the indivisible part. Based on my religious views I feel the only thing that is indivisible is the trinity and my country is not my god.
    As for what Baldrik78 said. I agree. As long as it was not disruptive to the court then the judge was out of line and violated the persons civil liberties.

I see.

Just got finished reading this;
    http://www.ourholycause.com/2009/02/christians-and-pledge-allegiance.html

and I see your point clearly.

Top Bottom