Judge Jails Attorney Over Pledge of Allegiance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I stand behind what I said.
    Same as I believe if you cannot speak english and refuse to learn, you have no place in our society.
    Same as I believe that if you are able bodied, you should not get welfare, you should have to work or do without.
    Same as I believe that a lot of humans are a complete waste of good oxygen.
    My list could go on for days.
    If anyone doesnt like MY country, feel free to get the f&^k out!

So;
    If someone doesn't want to pledge to the US Flag - Get Out?
    If someone will not take off their hat for the National Anthem - Get out?

Forcing Allegiance doesn’t sound very American to me.

Not speaking English and refusing to learn is different being as they can be a hindrance on society.
    Same with able bodied people on welfare.

Your opinion on who you think is a waste of oxygen is moot, b/c someone could think the same about you.

Your Country?

‘Your’ Country gives people these RIGHTS to express or NOT to express themselves freely. ‘Your’ country SHOULD NOT however be granted the power to silence a persons freedoms or force them to act in a manner that would cause them to undermine their own personal beliefs, when such difference in beliefs are indeed NOT a matter of life and death.

So are you against your own country? ...huh?

Personally I can EASILY see why people have problems with saying the pledge of Allegiance. For one, who really wants to pledge to what our Government is doing as of late?

For Christians and other religious folks it's easily seen as a form of idolatry/false worship etc to pledge against something of this world when evidently in the Christian Bible it's pretty clear that making oath's and pledges are to be taken VERY seriously. I could probably find those scriptures if need be.

Just so you know I'm a Veteran and have fought in both current Wars. I've said the pledge hundreds of times since I was a kid in a Catholic School. However, I can still definitely understand/sympathize those who no longer or never will pledge allegiance to the US Flag.

Just my opinion ;)

Semper Fi

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Didn't this guy demand that everyone pledged allegiance to him????

pebca001_adolf_hitler.jpg

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    While I agree with you, in principle, in practice, our courts do use the actual documents. So much is put the semantics - the words themselves make or break the actual right.

Unfortunately your correct. Some of the founding fathers didn't even want to include the bill of rights, since they were afraid this very thing would happen...sigh. :(

In my mind though, I still have that right... just some else is tramping on it!

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    The topic is alliagence to your country. Not a person. Yet...

Well... given that Germany at the time was a totalitarian government... one could argue pledging allegiance to hitler = pledging allegiance to germany.

Regardless, I think the point is that pledging your allegiance to a government is in direct opposition to individualism/individual liberty.

Aaron

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I'm as patriotic as the next guy , but the Judge was out of line . As long as the Attorney stood quietly and wasn't disruptive , he did nothing wrong .

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I stand behind what I said.
    Same as I believe if you cannot speak english and refuse to learn, you have no place in our society.
    Same as I believe that if you are able bodied, you should not get welfare, you should have to work or do without.
    Same as I believe that a lot of humans are a complete waste of good oxygen.
    My list could go on for days.
    If anyone doesnt like MY country, feel free to get the f&^k out!

I have to agree with you on this,

you have provoked me to not reading on occasion but I respect that, and I agree 100 % with you on this.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I have to agree with you on this,

you have provoked me to not reading on occasion but I respect that, and I agree 100 % with you on this.

We'll I as I pointed out in post #43 these aren't the one's I was talking about, it's the other two he mentioned previously. Just saying. :)

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I personally think that if you refuse to recite the pledge or stand and uncover for our anthem, you should remove yourself from our country- obama included!

It is respect. I take it as a disrespect to my country if you refuse to recite the pledge or stand for the anthem.
    I will still stand behind that.
    maybe saying you should GTFO is harsh, but the filter between my mind and mouth does not always function properly.
    In this particular case, it is hard to say if the judge over-reacted and maybe this was an ongoing disagreement or somthing? had I been the judge, with the facts presented in this thread, would I jail him? Probably not for refusing to recite only. Maybe for not standing or saying that he would not recite.
    My bet is that the judge will face very minor to no penalty for this, and I would like to shake his hand.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    It is respect. I take it as a disrespect to my country if you refuse to recite the pledge or stand for the anthem.
    I will still stand behind that.
    maybe saying you should GTFO is harsh, but the filter between my mind and mouth does not always function properly.
    In this particular case, it is hard to say if the judge over-reacted and maybe this was an ongoing disagreement or somthing? had I been the judge, with the facts presented in this thread, would I jail him? Probably not for refusing to recite only. Maybe for not standing or saying that he would not recite.
    My bet is that the judge will face very minor to no penalty for this, and I would like to shake his hand.

I read an article where it said that this was the second time there was a disagreement over this (same lawyer, same judge), but this is the first time he was thrown in jail. So I suspect the judge was on the look-out this time...:eek3:

OUR country (notice the CAPS lock), was founded on the foundation of individual liberty. They were trying to get away from the tyrannical English empire. So if you really understood history you'd respect this lawyer for expressing his freedom(s) that so many have sacrificed so much for, and not take it as disrespect.

Aaron

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Some of you obviously have never been to court before. I've seen judges hold poeple in contemp for what they're wearing, piercings, long hair, kick people out of his courtroom for and I quote "your dressed as if your going to a hip hop concert" and he was an African American judge. He even told the bailiff if he's outside waiting to lock him up. If a judge is patriotic and wants to start with the pledge, well then you say the pledge. If you really care less about it then what's the big deal about saying it in a situation like that. Unless you have issues and feel like it's a control thing. You know some times it's just easier to not rock the boat. Most lawyers I see are control freaks, and hate the fact a judge would make them do such a thing, but the truth is most of them in the judges place would do the same.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    " ...and to the Republic , for which it stands ..." ;)

What republic?:confused:

This is why the refusal comes. What republic does the US Flag now stand for?

Some of you obviously have never been to court before. I've seen judges hold poeple in contemp for what they're wearing, piercings, long hair, kick people out of his courtroom for and I quote "your dressed as if your going to a hip hop concert" and he was an African American judge.

While judges have lots of power in their own courtroom's there's no way they have the power to MAKE you do something like this. Had this lawyer been a Jehovah witness there'd be hell to pay. It's against JH's religion to pledge to anything but God. I'd like to have seen the Judges comments on that.

Then again, we haven’t seen any comments b/c the judge knows damn we’ll he’s wrong and this will be settled in his office, quietly leaving us to shout about it here on internet forums with no real resolve.

Last edited:

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    Some of you obviously have never been to court before. I've seen judges hold poeple in contemp for what they're wearing, piercings, long hair, kick people out of his courtroom for and I quote "your dressed as if your going to a hip hop concert" and he was an African American judge. He even told the bailiff if he's outside waiting to lock him up. If a judge is patriotic and wants to start with the pledge, well then you say the pledge. If you really care less about it then what's the big deal about saying it in a situation like that. Unless you have issues and feel like it's a control thing. You know some times it's just easier to not rock the boat. Most lawyers I see are control freaks, and hate the fact a judge would make them do such a thing, but the truth is most of them in the judges place would do the same.
    I think this question was addressed. Your clothing is not a protected right like freedom of speech is. Also on the same line as hitman if you have to force someone to pledge under threat of jail it's kinda silly. I don't have a problem with people saying the pledge, just don't force me to say it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mike933
    Top Bottom