LA.'s "Keep & Bear Arms Amendment" To Be Heard Tuesday

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    The current wording of Article 1, Section 11 says-

"The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged,
    but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person."

The bill that came out of the Senate Judiciary "C" Committee today, SB 303, would change it to say-

"The right of each citizen to acquire, keep, possess,
    transport, carry, transfer, and use arms for defense of life and liberty, and for
    all other legitimate purposes is fundamental and shall not be or infringed,
    and any restriction of this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny."

NRA80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Great news! Looking forward to this being on the ballot this fall. Be sure to call your legislators to voice your support

I second br549. Although we have a considerable number of Senate cosponsors, the fight to pass the amendment will be tough. Contacting your state Senator is very important. The vote will likely come up early next week.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Look at the whiny, wet-your-pants leftist views displayed in this article from LSU's newspaper, The Daily Reveille.....:dunno:

http://www.lsureveille.com/news/senate-panel-passes-bill-that-could-allow-guns-on-campus-1.2724655

Did these MORONS not hear about what just took place in Oakland, CA?? Or worse- Do they really believe the threat of this happening here has ANYTHING to do with this proposal?

We have all heard the 'you are more likely to shoot someone else' arguement. To the point of throwing up. Really? This madman in Oakland took his time, lined his victims up, and shot them one-by-one. Completely unopposed. How can someone say with a straight face that an armed student couldn't have made a difference in that situation? Wouldn't you have liked to at least have a fighting chance?

IF I were still a college student, I would- AND THIS IS JUST ME- take issue with 'being lined up and shot execution-style' being presented as the only offer officially endorsed option by my university of choice....

Just my .02:dunno:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Look at the whiny, wet-your-pants leftist views displayed in this article from LSU's newspaper, The Daily Reveille.....:dunno:

http://www.lsureveille.com/news/senate-panel-passes-bill-that-could-allow-guns-on-campus-1.2724655

Did these MORONS not hear about what just took place in Oakland, CA?? Or worse- Do they really believe the threat of this happening here has ANYTHING to do with this proposal?

We have all heard the 'you are more likely to shoot someone else' arguement. To the point of throwing up. Really? This madman in Oakland took his time, lined his victims up, and shot them one-by-one. Completely unopposed. How can someone say with a straight face that an armed student couldn't have made a difference in that situation? Wouldn't you have liked to at least have a fighting chance?

IF I were still a college student, I would- AND THIS IS JUST ME- take issue with 'being lined up and shot execution-style' being presented as the only offer officially endorsed option by my university of choice....

Just my .02:dunno:

Some misguided people REALLY believe that if your time comes like that, that's just the way you go out. Very frightening.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Just got this from LSA:

Yesterday, the Senate Judiciary Committee C passed Senate Bill 303 by a 6 to 1 vote. Thank you to all that contacted the Committee Members. The LSA was told that many of you contacted them in support of the Amendment!

SB 303 would improve the current provision in the state constitution and provide Louisianans the strongest and most comprehensive constitutional language of any state, guaranteeing our Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Louisiana for future generations. SB 303 will be debated onto the Senate floor next week.
    The language of SB303 reads:

“The right of individuals to acquire, keep, possess, transport, carry, transfer, and use arms for defense of life and liberty, and for all other legitimate purposes is fundamental and shall not be denied or infringed, and any restriction on this right must be subjected to strict scrutiny.”

This amendment is necessary because the Louisiana Supreme Court eviscerated the current right to keep and bears arms provision in 2001, action which has left Louisianans with little protection from overreaching state-imposed gun control or in the event the Heller or McDonald cases are overturned.

In fact, the current Louisiana provision has been so weakened by the state court that it would likely only prevent a complete across-the-board ban on firearms. Strengthening Louisiana’s state constitutional protection is necessary and will provide a critical defense against future efforts to infringe on Louisianan’s right to keep and bear arms.

Please contact your state Senator TODAY and respectfully urge his or her support for SB 303. For your state Senator’s contact information, please go here: http://senate.la.gov/Senators/Default.asp

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    This is a great day in Louisiana, and the United States. When this amendment passes November 6, 2012 I'm sure a bunch of states will follow our lead. This could not have come at a better time. 3 cheers for Senator Riser, and all of the co-sponsors of Senate Bill 303.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    I wrote Adley thanking him for his Committee support and vote. I asked him to continue pushing to see this bill pass in the full chamber.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Just got this from LSA:
    Checked my email. Nothing from LSA there. WTF?

Never mind. I found it in a trash account I never check. Guess I have to find out who sends out the emails and get my correct email to them. And I see they sent me an email saying my membership is expiring but I renewed at the annual meeting in March. <confused>
    What case in 2001 are they talking about which hurt our rights so bad?

Last edited:

NRA80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Checked my email. Nothing from LSA there. WTF?

Never mind. I found it in a trash account I never check. Guess I have to find out who sends out the emails and get my correct email to them. And I see they sent me an email saying my membership is expiring but I renewed at the annual meeting in March. <confused>
    What case in 2001 are they talking about which hurt our rights so bad?

It is all explained on page 1.

NRA80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    SB 303 passed the Senate tonight by a vote of 31-6. The battle is going intensify in the House. Please stay tuned for more information!!

NRA80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Does this go to a house committee...if so, which one? Adley was co-author of the SB.

Yes, Adley was a coauthor and voted in support of the bill in Committee and on the floor.

And, yes, currently, we're working on which House Committee will receive the bill. The committee it is assigned to will be VERY important.

br549

totin'
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Looks good so far, but we still need to call our house members to voice support. Apathy not what we need right now. NRA80, thanks for the timely updates!

Top Bottom