LEO shoots his leg defending himself against Precious.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You need a software upgrade. Take it from someone who had the same problem you do. It took a very long time for me to "untrain" that habit, having walked around for years in my youth "monkey fingering" the triggers on my bb/pellet guns. It is also the reason I shied away from glocks and told people "I'm just a Beretta guy". Even after retraining the muscle memory of my trigger finger, I still own Berettas, but this will eventually change as I am getting closer and closer to making the transition to those ugly soulless glocks.

You can own both, ya know?!

Toughest transition for me is going back to Beretta from Glock, as the slide safety invariably gets activated when racking the slide.

I still love the Beretta as a piece of mechanical art, though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    You can own both, ya know?!

Toughest transition for me is going back to Beretta from Glock, as the slide safety invariably gets activated when racking the slide.

I still love the Beretta as a piece of mechanical art, though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I was more referring to my PX4 subcompacts. I'll never give up my 92s! :draw:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I haven't seen a lot of "accidental shootings". I would bet the number of NDs vs the number of LEOs carrying Glocks is miniscule.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    Instead of comparing the number of ND's with Glocks to the number carried,(a useless comparison), try comparing the number of ND's with Glocks, compared to S&W revolvers.

I'd wager that there is a significant difference in the number of self inflicted gunshot wounds between Glocks and revolvers. I'd also wager that there is a significant difference in the numbers between Glocks and semi-autos with a manual safety.

As already stated, the Glock is perfectly safe if all of the rules are followed. However: It is very unforgiving of any lapse of discipline.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Why would anyone not follow ALL OF THE FUNDAMENTAL RULES OF FIREARMS SAFETY. And more so why would they settle for not being able to follow them?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Why would anyone not follow ALL OF THE FUNDAMENTAL RULES OF FIREARMS SAFETY. And more so why would they settle for not being able to follow them?

Uhhhh, . . . Stress, . . . Lapse's in judgment, . . . involuntary motor reflexes, . . .

To the best of my knowledge, there has been only one to walk this Earth who was perfect. He is risen.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Uhhhh, . . . Stress, . . . Lapse's in judgment, . . . involuntary motor reflexes, . . .

To the best of my knowledge, there has been only one to walk this Earth who was perfect. He is risen.

That's why you should keep your finger out of the trigger guard unless you're pulling it.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

And when you have stress, spasms, freak outs, etc. if your finger isn't on the trigger its harmless.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I absolutely agree. He was most probably rattled.

And I guess I am one who also has a bad practice of having my finger ON the trigger if and when I ever draw my gun.

Because...the only reason I drew the gun was to contemplate pulling the trigger. So yes...My finger will be resting on the trigger whenever my gun is drawn for self defense.

I guess the key is to make sure the finger is off the trigger when unholstering. In any case....Like I said...I just prefer the other style. To each their own. The only reason I even mentioned it is because I consider myself to be somewhat of a decent shot and somewhat experienced with carrying firearms.

I carried every day between 1981-1997 when I had my business. I'm just a Sig Guy( or P-7).

I tried the Glock. Loved the reliability and ease of multiple hit capacity. And was very accurate with the Glock.

But for me....I was too nervous with possibility of quickly going for my weapon in self defense and then possibly shooting myself. So I sold my Glock exactly for that reason. I can't help but commenting whenever I read about someone shooting themselves when drawing their gun. I can hardly contemplate shooting myself with a sig. Cant say the same for a Glock.

So you draw with your finger on the trigger? The closet incident makes so much sense now.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Wow...you figured it out. You are just brilliant! ^ I bet you feel much better now. Congrats.

FWIW...I've never shot myself in my leg.

Keep counting on a few millimeters of trigger travel to compensate for your inability to follow sound safe practices and you'll get your chance.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Keep counting on a few millimeters of trigger travel to compensate for your inability to follow sound safe practices and you'll get your chance.

How much does the stress of being attacked increase that chance?
    Is it common in a gunfight for a person to dump a unintended round?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

If your finger is not on the trigger it's impossible. If you keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to shoot, there is no such thing as an unintended round.

It's simple. Either you are pulling the trigger, or your finger is out of the trigger guard. There's no inbetween.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    If your finger is not on the trigger it's impossible. If you keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to shoot, there is no such thing as an unintended round.

It's simple. Either you are pulling the trigger, or your finger is out of the trigger guard. There's no inbetween.

What I'm asking is durning a gunfight how much does stress make your hands do stupid stuff that you would not do getting undressed quietly in your home?

Also in a real life gun fight during the fight is it common for people to shoot unintended rounds double taps whatever when engaging the threat? "Not asking about when unholstering or when you re holster"

Everyone says under stress you do this you do that I'm curious as to how much of that is fact VS bull.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

No it's not common. And no it's not excusable. If your finger isn't on the trigger the gun doesn't shoot. People don't shoot double taps under stress as a function of the stress. And stress doesn't make people do things with their fingers like cover triggers. Thats the whole point of developing good practices like learning to keep your finger out of the trigger guard and indexed somewhere on the pistol.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You will absolutely lose fine motor function. That's why defensive tactics involve big, stupid movements vs fine motor skills (one example is racking the slide vs using the slide stop).

What YOU will do and how much stress will affect you depends entirely on your level of training and practice.

Take a class that pushes your boundaries and introduces stress and you'll find out real quick how you'll perform.

Top Bottom