Loctite

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Just spent an hour this morning fighting a Rear yolk nut on the output shaft of an 18 speed Trans.

Red loctite + 500 ft lbs of torque + 2 3/4" locknut makes life interesting.

Also interesting is using a 3" drive air driven impact and then a hammer wrench on a series of cap screws that have been internally heated with heat rods, torqued and stretched to the point that high pressure steam in a turbine will not leak between two metal surfaces without a gasket. No Loctite needed after stretching the bolts and letting them shrink as they cool off.

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Learn something new everyday. Always used the blue for my purposes so I would never have to heat anything up to get it off.

Never even new about the other Loctite or all the other colors/reasons to use etc.

On a side note wouldn't have it been easier to just post a link to the Loctite website and then an explanation of how different manufacturers may have different recommendations etc?

We are supposed to be a community here to some extent...

Guys-even better than a link straight to the official website, here's a multi-year long 50 page worth of questions, answers, and no BS explainations and tricks I've learned through the years.

This link should keep you busy for at least a weekends worth of perusing and feeding your gearhead/mechanical brain:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/loctite.265016/

Dirty

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Also interesting is using a 3" drive air driven impact and then a hammer wrench on a series of cap screws that have been internally heated with heat rods, torqued and stretched to the point that high pressure steam in a turbine will not leak between two metal surfaces without a gasket. No Loctite needed after stretching the bolts and letting them shrink as they cool off.

Once thread's are stretched you cannot reuse. And no, you don't loctite TTY bolts.

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Once thread's are stretched you cannot reuse. And no, you don't loctite TTY bolts.

Who's hiding that "LIKE" button around here.

TTY= "Torque to Yield" if anyone is wondering.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/torque_to_yield_tty_head_bolt_tips.htm

Mods-apologies for posting a link to an external site if that's a no no. No hard feelings if you need to delete it. There's too much valuable information in that thread for it not to be shared with my fellow Louisiana friends.

Dirty

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    No, because he wanted to know if we think you should use loctite on a scope mount, then tell us we are wrong anyway, because he's been doing it for 40+ years.

Did you receive a blow to the head? If so, that would explain a lot. Where did I say everyone was wrong about using Loctite? Now go ahead and call me a derp or accuse me of wanting to buy women's underwear. That's your go to reply.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Did you receive a blow to the head? If so, that would explain a lot. Where did I say everyone was wrong about using Loctite? Now go ahead and call me a derp or accuse me of wanting to buy women's underwear. That's your go to reply.

So should you use loctite on a scope mount or not?

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    So should you use loctite on a scope mount or not?

Small screws to mount base to action, yes. Small screws to attach top ring to bottom ring, yes. Larger bolts that hold rings to base, no. Torque to 68 inch/pounds and it should be good. This is for my application, your results may vary. And the blue Loctite.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Small screws to mount base to action, yes. Small screws to attach top ring to bottom ring, yes. Larger bolts that hold rings to base, no. Torque to 68 inch/pounds and it should be good. This is for my application, your results may vary. And the blue Loctite.

So what did you ask for again?

- - - Updated - - -

Depends. Does the manufacturer of the scope mount recommend it?

That's a good question.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I used blue loctite to build this. DID I DO OKAY GUYS?!?!?!

29446636204_127a9fc65e_b.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You are a hard hitting stickler that has been advising people on the use of loctite here since Sep 27, 2016 and yet you used blue loctite on wood and sheet rock screws on a bench. Come on man . . . .

I put red loctite on all the vise threads just to make sure it stayed put.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom