LSU and Les Miles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I can see some of the arguments that LSU's failures to produce great results are Miles' fault/responsibility. However, QB performance, heck actual performance by any/all player(s) on the field, is out of the control of the coach at the time plays are being made/not made. But SOMEONE HAS TO BE BLAMED... so it is often the coach who is blamed when the reality is the players simply did not perform.

I agree that some of the play calling and clock management issues must be 90% or more Miles' responsibility alone. However, if you review the plays made and not made by his players over time, LSU has repeatedly been handicapped/hamstrung by individual player performances. Blame the coach for lack of preparation? That's the easy way out. If a player doesn't perform in the clutch, that's on him, not the coach.

I would hire Miles tomorrow if I were an AD anywhere else... for as little money as I could get him for or as much as I had to pay (within reason of course). I happen to think he's a better coach than Saban; he certainly has more integrity.

Then answer this question. Why is it we sometimes see a new coach come in and with most of the same player produce and entirely different result, positive or negative. The same thing happens in business.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    When you lose almost everything you have ever acquired you will realize there is much more to life than a ball game. Have a wonderful life.

I've found this scenario, as well as, a devastating medical diagnosis for your child really re-prioritizes one's life.

That said, I hope LSU makes a good hire b/c I do enjoy a game once in a while and it would be great if they didn't blow like the Aints.

drmweaver2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2016
    Harahan, LA
    I'll agree that individual player performance is a huge part of it, but LSU beat themselves this past weekend.... There is no lack of talent, but there is a lack of coaching.
    I'd argue that there was a lack of execution in addition to a couple of coaching errors. Enough coaching errors to replace Miles? Not based solely on this one game...
    Enough errors to replace Miles based on a couple of games this season? Possibly but it's a real stretch for me think so.
    Enough errors to replace Miles based on the course of the last 17 games (all of last season/post-season and the games so far this year? - Absolutely predictable politically in response to fanatical fans and media noise looking to blame someone for the loss of an undefeated season that isn't even halfway over yet.

I'd still hire Miles as head coach tomorrow... for any Div I team and expect that he'd be an improvement in my coaching staff.

LSU fans expectations are generally unreasonable in my opinion. So few teams go undefeated each season that it is unreasonable to think LSU will do so year in and out. Certainly not with Alabama scheduled each year. Hell, Bama doesn't even play Bama so there's a comparison/something for you to consider.

Added: Seems the team that beat us in Game 1 this year is better than anyone thought....look at there performance since then.

Added: I also want to note the player injury situation... not just Fournette. No excuses, just making sure all things are considered/in play when we "assign blame" or think about replacing the coach because of a couple losses.

Last edited:

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Coaching goes far beyond just game day on the field. The coach is responsible for having his team prepared to play on the field as well. That's where it starts, and it's a big part of where I think Miles failed. We don't get to see that side as fans, unlike we do some with the NFL. But the abundance of talent and lack of being prepared for both small games and large has been the common recipe for Miles, at least since 2012. So for that, I put it on the coach more than the players. If we didn't have the talent, like the Saints today don't have the talent, then i would say it's more on them. Good coaching can elevate mediocre talent, but poor coaching is quicker to hinder good talent.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Can you answer your own question? I might after you do.

Leadership. discipline, flexibility of thought and the ability to motivate individuals and not accept sub par performance. A couple of weeks ago Alabama was beating Western Kentucky 43 to 3 in the last several minutes of the game when Western Kentucky scored a touchdown. Saban went ballistic because someone made a mistake that lead to the touchdown. It's his quest for nothing less than perfection from all the players every play and not willingly accepting anything less that makes Alabama successful.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Leadership. discipline, flexibility of thought and the ability to motivate individuals and not accept sub par performance. A couple of weeks ago Alabama was beating Western Kentucky 43 to 3 in the last several minutes of the game when Western Kentucky scored a touchdown. Saban went ballistic because someone made a mistake that lead to the touchdown. It's his quest for nothing less than perfection from all the players every play and not willingly accepting anything less that makes Alabama successful.

Saban is definitely a leader! In my opinion, Miles never was.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    During the presser with Coach O this afternoon he made a comment that seemed rather insignificant in the context of a question about what he had told the team but caught my attention. We had attended every game except Auburn which we watched on TV, I had commented to my wife that I thought the team looked tired and leg weary and that maybe Les’s only answer to the problems was to work the players harder in practice.
    Coach O ‘s comment was he told the team there would be less time on the practice field and more in the meeting room. Could it be he saw that they were being over worked but being an assistant couldn't really do anything about it.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Some if not most people don't get our emotional ties to guns.

Yes but that's different. They are your guns. With football you are watching someone else do something. You are obsessing over watching someone else play a game.
    I'm not against sports, the level of obsession from fans is just weird though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I can see some of the arguments that LSU's failures to produce great results are Miles' fault/responsibility. However, QB performance, heck actual performance by any/all player(s) on the field, is out of the control of the coach at the time plays are being made/not made. But SOMEONE HAS TO BE BLAMED... so it is often the coach who is blamed when the reality is the players simply did not perform.

I agree that some of the play calling and clock management issues must be 90% or more Miles' responsibility alone. However, if you review the plays made and not made by his players over time, LSU has repeatedly been handicapped/hamstrung by individual player performances. Blame the coach for lack of preparation? That's the easy way out. If a player doesn't perform in the clutch, that's on him, not the coach.

I would hire Miles tomorrow if I were an AD anywhere else... for as little money as I could get him for or as much as I had to pay (within reason of course). I happen to think he's a better coach than Saban; he certainly has more integrity.

Did someone say coaching doesn't make a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom