M&P 9c or Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockVS1991

QuikDraw
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    Not going to get into that argument, but the first time I went gun shopping, I held a Glock 22, XD9, and a SR9. The first two felt pretty good, but the Ruger immediately turned me off, so much so that I wrote off the entire brand. I've come to like the way their revolvers feel in my hand, and I'll have a MkII or MkIII eventually, but I haven't liked any of their polymer automatics that I've held or shot.

see thats completely understandable. not every gun is going to feel good in everyones hand, for an example, my 1911 is the absolute best feeling gun i have but its not practical for my application, but for someone to argue out a gun strictly based on capacity and thumb safety, thumb safety is purely preference, if if ALL you care about it capacity then why not buy a full size gun?

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    again as i stated above, the SR9c is the most under rated hand gun in that class, so making a reference to it being like a hamburger is inaccurate

Have to admit I have never shot a SR9C, but did dry fire a SR9. Made my M&P trigger feel like a 1911 trigger... Don't like that gun at all.

GlockVS1991

QuikDraw
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    Have to admit I have never shot a SR9C, but did dry fire a SR9. Made my M&P trigger feel like a 1911 trigger... Don't like that gun at all.
    see i PERSONALLY feel the same way about the glock, everything about my SR9cs trigger feels better then the glock, again the whole point of my statement isnt to bash neither the glock or M&P, its strictly to recommend that the SR9c be considered, my new everyday carry gun is infact my glock, strictly because its my new gun

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    tommy-lee-jones-newspaper-e6d4f.jpg

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    see i PERSONALLY feel the same way about the glock, everything about my SR9cs trigger feels better then the glock, again the whole point of my statement isnt to bash neither the glock or M&P, its strictly to recommend that the SR9c be considered, my new everyday carry gun is infact my glock, strictly because its my new gun

OT, but is that really how you choose your EDC?

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I know my dad has been carrying the same Glock for over 20 years with thousands of rounds through it, he doesn't question its reliability. He even has a second one, unfired, that he hasn't bothered to switch to.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I know my dad has been carrying the same Glock for over 20 years with thousands of rounds through it, he doesn't question its reliability. He even has a second one, unfired, that he hasn't bothered to switch to.

If it has worked for 20 years, beyond springs and maintenance, I would not doubt it either.

GlockVS1991

QuikDraw
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    Good deal! But, how does it shoot for you?

not used to the trigger yet so i pull hard, previous to my glock i had beeen spending alot of time shooting my 1911 so its a world of difference, thats another plus about my sr9c, i can pick it up after shooting any gun of any caliber and still be accurate

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    not used to the trigger yet so i pull hard, previous to my glock i had beeen spending alot of time shooting my 1911 so its a world of difference, thats another plus about my sr9c, i can pick it up after shooting any gun of any caliber and still be accurate

Dude, I am not tying to be a dick, but there is some serious fail in that. You are not used to your carry gun's trigger, and you can shoot any caliber gun? https://www.google.com/search?q=.45...antart.com%2Fmorelikethis%2F50187233;1024;768

Never shot one of those in a 1911, but shot one in a revolver. And I must say there is a big difference from my carry gun.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Not to insult any Ruger fans, but I am not one..

Never. I would never allow my life to depend on any Ruger.

Good luck with yours though.

I can understand why you would not trust some of the Ruger semi-autos. However, I do not understand how you could feel that way about Ruger revolvers.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Ruger makes good revolvers and rimfire rifles. Their semi pistols suck. The old P series guns are good for the price if you don't mind shooting a gun that weighs 10lbs and has a grip the shape of an '80s cell phone. The rest are poop.

GlockVS1991

QuikDraw
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    Dude, I am not tying to be a dick, but there is some serious fail in that. You are not used to your carry gun's trigger, and you can shoot any caliber gun? https://www.google.com/search?q=.45...antart.com%2Fmorelikethis%2F50187233;1024;768

Never shot one of those in a 1911, but shot one in a revolver. And I must say there is a big difference from my carry gun.
    what i was saying is i can shoot my 1911.... then i can pick up my buddys S&W .40 and weather or not im comfortable with them is not the point i am making, the point is that after shooting any gun, i can pick up my sr9c and feel comfortable and i dont feel like i need to be as comfortable with my carry gun, i cant carry my gun on me while im working due to the type of job i work, so it stays in my truck 8-9 hours a day, so during those 8-9 hours the chances of me being able to use my firearm in an emergency is highly unlikely

here is my final defense for the ruger SR9c, if its good enough for hickok45, then ill take it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT1q1C_PnIY

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Ruger makes good revolvers and rimfire rifles. Their semi pistols suck. The old P series guns are good for the price if you don't mind shooting a gun that weighs 10lbs and has a grip the shape of an '80s cell phone. The rest are poop.

I really hate to go off topic like this, but I will respond to your question, and then attempt to address the OP's topic again.

My Dad has an old Mk series .22 pistol that I've had go off, luckily in a semi safe direction. Now, I do not have video of this happening, but to the best of my meager recollection, I did not touch the trigger. I merely took the safety off. I was a teenager back then, but I still understood the principles of firearm safety. I was skeptical of Ruger starting then.

My worst experience with a firearm was with my P91DC, .40SW that I bought from a friend of mine. I do not feel that he intended to rip me off. He was a deputy at the time, long since retired, and the department was switching to Beretta 96's. Anyhow, for the first few months it worked well. It was never what I'd call an accurate pistol, but it was good enough. I dropped a Hogue grip on it, and that helped a bit.

After sending a fair amount of lead down range, back then ammo was pretty cheap so I shot quite often. At least weekly. Anyhow, it started having failure to feed issues. The rim of the case would catch in the inside of the chamber. It was only occasional at first, but before long it would happen every time. If you tried to chamber a round, it would happen. I changed magazines, no effect. Changed ammo manufacturers many times, also to no effect.

I ended up sending it to Ruger. After 6 months or so, I finally get it back. I inspect the gun, and the service slip, they had replaced the barrel. "OK, cool!" I thought. That took a long time, but whatever, at least I had it back. I clean it, even though it was obviously unfired, and then head out to my shooting spot. I insert the mag, rack the slide, it jams.

I manually insert the round into the chamber. Fire the round. It jams. I bought a brand new magazine, went to the shooting spot. It jams. At that point I went home, and threw it the gun safe.
    (I think I was home on leave, coming back from Okinawa at this point.) A few years later while I was stationed in Flariduh, I went home and dug it out of the gun safe and brought it back to FL with me. I traded it and a little cash on a used Glock 23 and never looked back. I still have that one, still shoot it when I get the urge.

As to Ruger revolvers.. I've shot many guns. It is rare for me to go to a gun show and find something that I've never fired, unless it's new to market. I have never fired a Ruger revolver that I was happy with. They may be all that and a bag of chips, but they are not for me. I will stick to S&W, Colt, or even a Taurus or Rossi before I'd buy another Ruger product.

So, that's me. I have no faith in their products. My admittedly anecdotal experience with them left me with this outcome. I said I wouldn't entrust my life to a Ruger. Good luck to those that do.

For the OP, once again, I don't believe they can go wrong with either the Glock or the M&P. Both are fine weapons, accurate, reliable, durable, and proven. My best answer is to buy both.
    I have several MP's and Glocks, and love them all. I find the MP's to be more comfortable.

Top Bottom