NC Star optics! Opinions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    They look cool enough. Thought for the money I'd grab one for one of my AR's and I'm gonna say that I'm impressed. CTD had a 2-7x32 with a P4 sniper illuminated reticle (2 color) target turrets (top is BDC set for .223 with 55gr bullet) quick rail mount, built in sunshade... For $91 and change. I'm still a little skeptical because I've not had time to mount and zero and try the thing out ON the rifle.. But it's pretty darn sweet out of the box. I found the optics clean and crisp all through the zoom range. I like the green ret the best and the adjustment is sweet from almost nothing to brightest. I really hope it holds up. Anybody else have or had one? I'm thinking about the 3-9x40 rubberized version for another rifle.

G

gunguy11

Hopefully you got a good one.
    Had one of their 4-reticle 2-color 1" red dots and I exchanged it 3 times before I demanded a refund.
    They don't normally hold up or zero either.
    Good luck and hope it works out.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I have one, was already on the rifle when I bought it, it is garbage!! When it comes to glass, buy once cry once is the motto I have learned to live by.

Just a few reason's because I am sure people will ask.

1. Not FFP
    2. Glass was hazy for me
    3. Will not hold a zero worth a rt's turd
    4. etc

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I bought a Sig 522 with a crappy little NCStar optic. Haven't changed it yet but when I get some money I'll probably put a primary arms on it.

It's horrible though. It doesn't hold zero even on a 22. I doubt it would hold zero on an airsoft pistol. I'd zero it at 25 yards then start shooting the squirrel plates at honey island and by the 3rd magazine I had to rezero it again because I was no longer able to hit the squirrels.

Garbage.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You get what you pay for, especially when it comes to optics. I have two types of rifles...those with quality optics and those with irons. I'd rather no optic than a cheap one.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    ive had a 6-24x50 nc star scope for about 7 years now. i had it on my 7mm mag for 4 of those years. it now sits on my marlin 60.

i paid $104.99 for it.

the only issue i have is when you go past 20x it starts getting hazy.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I thought about buying an NC Star once. A few of us wanted to try a "Carlos Hathcock" type of shot and see if the bullet would really go through the scope. I decided I needed a higher quality tube though so ended up using a paper towel roll.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I thought about buying an NC Star once. A few of us wanted to try a "Carlos Hathcock" type of shot and see if the bullet would really go through the scope. I decided I needed a higher quality tube though so ended up using a paper towel roll.

phahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

HEADSHOT

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    I see all the description I typed was a waste of time for some folks. Yeah it's a scope. Just wanted a cheap(er) plinker and looks like I came out pretty good. The lenses are actually pretty decent. I was expecting a lot less in quality. I've been known to spend over a grand on a scope, so it's not like I don't appreciate quality.
    I'll try to post again as to how it holds up, if it keeps zero and whether or not springs and sparks fly from the thing when I go shoot. Otherwise, was just trying to pass on what I feel is a very decent compact scope for the money.

On a side note: simmons compact 4x32 shotgun scope with pro diamond reticle used to run about 70 bucks, and 3 of them have been aboard a few of my rifles from mini 30's to 10/22's and still get the job done just fine.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    Bosco, you hurt me with the comment about the optic that came on that 522 I sold you. It was my first purchase of a sight at a gun show (never again). Actually, that particular optic was produced by PETA so that you can't hit those squirrel plates. It really is all about keeping the animals safe even if they are fake.
    Bosco, tell you what, let me take the rifle back and do some extensive testing to see if it is the optic or the rifle or both. I promise to take care of it. :naughty:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Bosco, you hurt me with the comment about the optic that came on that 522 I sold you. It was my first purchase of a sight at a gun show (never again). Actually, that particular optic was produced by PETA so that you can't hit those squirrel plates. It really is all about keeping the animals safe even if they are fake.
    Bosco, tell you what, let me take the rifle back and do some extensive testing to see if it is the optic or the rifle or both. I promise to take care of it. :naughty:

:rofl: sorry bro i like the rifle too much ;) still debating if i want a red dot on it or a scope though which is why i didn't buy yet :noes:

Kris5597

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I have a NC star 7x32 Mark III, unfortunately I have not zeroed it in yet. I am working on a free float rail conversion and will zero it in once completed. After reading a few responses in this thread it kind of makes me weary of actually buying the thing in the first place. I also have a NCstar red dot sight on it currently and I didn't like it at first but after a few tweaks and tightening everything up real snug it seems to be holding well for a $30 piece. Just my .02. I will have a better opinion once I attempt to zero in the 7x32.

Kris

br549

totin'
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Money up a goat's ass in my opinion. I bought the 3x9x42 MarkIII with the red dot on top. Holds zero ok, and the glass is fair, but the illumination is the same on all settings, red or green. Way too bright in low light so I just leave the illumination off. I paid $150 bucks for it new. If someone wants a cheap piece of crap I'll sell it for $75. Or I may just use it for a spotting scope. But it does look cool.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Update
    So far so good. I've had the scope on and off the rifle a few times with the QD mount and each time I put it back on the same T mark I'm on paper on the first shot. It holds zero fine when I shoot and I've had no issues after more than 600 rounds. I finally got to use the BDC dial last time out, which is supposed to be specific to 55gr 5.56 and adjustable to 500 yards. At 300 it was close enough to say it works. The rifle was intended for plinking but I did opt for a decent barrel. And the scope was worth what I paid for it.
    I've heard good and bad about nearly all of the "cheap" optics and everybody's entitled to their opinion. Mine just happens to be based on what I've observed first hand and I value the first hand opinions I've heard, good or bad. My opinion at this point? It doesn't have to be the best or most expensive to work, but you get what you pay for, bragging rights not included.

Top Bottom