Need a well drilled.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    How/who can test concentration levels?

Do you have the problem with cold water or hot water? You may just need to flush your water heater tank and chlorinate it. Much cheaper and easier than what you are looking at. The water in the BR/Ascension (including Hammond) area has some mineralization qualities that will produce the rotten egg smell when those minerals are heated over and over. When they get into the bottom of your water heater (and they will build up there) they will seem to prevail in your cold water as well. Pour a big bucket and take a big wiff of cold from an outside faucet and see if you get the aroma. If not. It is time to flush the water heater. You need to drain it and pour some bleach in and flush and refill. This is not for the faint of heart for non plumbing loving people like me. But could be necessary as it was for me. I had that crappy plastic hose attachment on the outside of my tank break in the process and I now have 12 pounds of brass hardware valves attached to my tank so I didn't have to pay $900 to replace the entire tank and redo my plumbing. Southern Hills aquifer is the same from Vicksburg down to Baton Rouge for its mineral content. So anyone in the area could have this problem.

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Do you have the problem with cold water or hot water? You may just need to flush your water heater tank and chlorinate it. Much cheaper and easier than what you are looking at. The water in the BR/Ascension (including Hammond) area has some mineralization qualities that will produce the rotten egg smell when those minerals are heated over and over. When they get into the bottom of your water heater (and they will build up there) they will seem to prevail in your cold water as well. Pour a big bucket and take a big wiff of cold from an outside faucet and see if you get the aroma. If not. It is time to flush the water heater. You need to drain it and pour some bleach in and flush and refill. This is not for the faint of heart for non plumbing loving people like me. But could be necessary as it was for me. I had that crappy plastic hose attachment on the outside of my tank break in the process and I now have 12 pounds of brass hardware valves attached to my tank so I didn't have to pay $900 to replace the entire tank and redo my plumbing. Southern Hills aquifer is the same from Vicksburg down to Baton Rouge for its mineral content. So anyone in the area could have this problem.

It's just the cold water. :hs:

longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Call LADNR (department of natural resources) they license water well drillers and keep an updated database of drillers and registered wells. I use to run the water well program. If you have any questions let me know, I can point you in the right direction and give you references for drillers.

Jester

I thought it was funny...
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    New Orleans Area

Actually, a lot of times this is caused by a bacteria getting into the tank. This bacteria love the hot water, and need the heat to survive. They will attach themselves to the anode rods in your tank.
    To cure it, either flush with chlorine like detailed above, or turn off the heater for a few days and the bacteria will die. When they are gone, so is the smell, as the bacteria produce sulfur as a by-product.

Top Bottom