Needs LEO Interpretation on Texting Law

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    The Causeway is 65 mph, which is silly, because years ago it was only 55 mph. Concrete becomes stronger with age, so any argument made about the bridge strength and vibrations at 70+ mph is horse ****. It sounds far fetched, but I've heard it before.

Yeah I'm with you I'm calling bull on any argument that the speed of motorist will have any lasting effect on any fixed/non-moving bridging.

The only two things most of us are truely at risk for when we speed is getting a ticket anf burning excess fuel.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    When an active LEO gets here and joins, I would also like these questions addressed too, please:

If the texting statute has this following paragraph and part I bolded; what will take place and be done if I call 911 to report the 10-12 clear texting violations on Airline Hwy and Highland Road I see every day? Should I video them? I mean, if I am videoing in the name of contacting LE about an illegal activity, am I good to go? What should I expect? Other than to be labeled a douche (which I can handle)? ;)

B. The provisions of Paragraph (A)(1) of this Section shall not apply to the following:

(1) Any law enforcement officer, firefighter, or operator of an authorized emergency vehicle while engaged in the actual performance of his official duties.

(2) An operator of a moving motor vehicle using a wireless telecommunications device to:

(a) Report illegal activity.

(b) Summon medical or other emergency help.

(c) Prevent injury to a person or property.

(d) Relay information between a transit or for-hire operator and that operator's dispatcher, in which the device is permanently affixed to the vehicle.

(e) Navigate using a global positioning system.

(3) A physician or other health care provider using a wireless telecommunications device to communicate with a hospital, health clinic or the office of the physician, or to otherwise provide for the health care of an individual or medical emergency through a text-based communication.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I retired from the state. Not one dime of any ticket goes to the state. It is not revenue for the department. Can't speak for other agencies.

I've been telling people that for years when they cuss Troopers for writing tickets for money.

RustyHammer

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    NOLA
    .. I use voice to text while driving. Hummmm ... phone is in my back pocket. Not sure, if pressed, if there is a way to tell the difference when looking at them on the phone. double hummmmmmmmmmmmm.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    When an active LEO gets here and joins, I would also like these questions addressed too, please:

If the texting statute has this following paragraph and part I bolded; what will take place and be done if I call 911 to report the 10-12 clear texting violations on Airline Hwy and Highland Road I see every day? Should I video them? I mean, if I am videoing in the name of contacting LE about an illegal activity, am I good to go? What should I expect? Other than to be labeled a douche (which I can handle)? ;)

B. The provisions of Paragraph (A)(1) of this Section shall not apply to the following:

(1) Any law enforcement officer, firefighter, or operator of an authorized emergency vehicle while engaged in the actual performance of his official duties.

(2) An operator of a moving motor vehicle using a wireless telecommunications device to:

(a) Report illegal activity.

(b) Summon medical or other emergency help.

(c) Prevent injury to a person or property.

(d) Relay information between a transit or for-hire operator and that operator's dispatcher, in which the device is permanently affixed to the vehicle.

(e) Navigate using a global positioning system.

(3) A physician or other health care provider using a wireless telecommunications device to communicate with a hospital, health clinic or the office of the physician, or to otherwise provide for the health care of an individual or medical emergency through a text-based communication.

Did I miss the section of that law prohibits the use of the video function on a wireless devise?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Did I miss the section of that law prohibits the use of the video function on a wireless devise?

Nope! It doesn't exist. That is why I specifically stated that. And because if I do video the act, and provide the actual make, model, suspects gender, and actual plate number on the video, will that be enough to ensure they get their ticket?

One could argue that videoing while driving is even more distracting than texting!

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Nope! It doesn't exist. That is why I specifically stated that. And because if I do video the act, and provide the actual make, model, suspects gender, and actual plate number on the video, will that be enough to ensure they get their ticket?

One could argue that videoing while driving is even more distracting than texting!

I'm sure they would either ignore your evidence or charge you with something bogus. I have considered videoing the police who park on the i-55 exit ramps facing into traffic, but have opted to not tempt fate. I came really close to doing it about a week ago after watching some guy on youtube stopping officers for righting tickets in unmarked cars (apparently this is an issue in the state he lives) but again I found the idea to be ill-advised.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Yeah I'm with you I'm calling bull on any argument that the speed of motorist will have any lasting effect on any fixed/non-moving bridging.

The only two things most of us are truely at risk for when we speed is getting a ticket anf burning excess fuel.

The true risk is that most cannot properly operate a vehicle at 35mph let alone 70. Dosnt matter how safe they make new cars when they crash at 70 its very bad

Try this next time you see someone texting and driving, pull up right next to them and blow the horn, I guarantee they won't even look up !

Last edited:

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Try this next time you see someone texting and driving, pull up right next to them and blow the horn, I guarantee they won't even look up !

I thought about doing this multiple times but I get nervous they would over-react and crash...and then I'd be held liable!

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    The true risk is that most cannot properly operate a vehicle at 35mph let alone 70. Dosnt matter how safe they make new cars when they crash at 70 its very bad

I can agree with that but it doesnt change the fact that most of us are no more at risk at 79.9999 than at 62.1111.

If I did blow my horn at the offending texter and (I'm assuming) she wrecks her car what should she be charged with? Texting and driving or careless opperation and failure to maintain control? And if she is driving in rush hour you could most likely add following too close and speeding.

Cant you agree this law is bogus?

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    If it is the texting law you refer to as being Bogus I do not agree. Drivers that are entranced with there phones make driving more dangerous and cause insurance rates to go up. I see these idiots daily swerving from white line to white line driving 30 in a 45 and lifting there head up once every 300 yards. Actually watched a women change lanes right into another car on interstate last month and then continued to drive with her phone in her hand texting.

If it's speeding your referring to as a bogus law, there is a cap in MPH that every interstate, hwy, road is safe to drive on if we are all on the same level in driving skill. The problem is were not, not even close. I truly believe getting a drivers license should be much more difficult and testing and training should be mandatory every 5 years. Way more people are injured or killed in car accident's then guns, the focus will always be on guns though.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I can agree with that but it doesnt change the fact that most of us are no more at risk at 79.9999 than at 62.1111.

If I did blow my horn at the offending texter and (I'm assuming) she wrecks her car what should she be charged with? Texting and driving or careless opperation and failure to maintain control? And if she is driving in rush hour you could most likely add following too close and speeding.

Cant you agree this law is bogus?

To me, it is extremely obvious the "texting while driving" law needs to be. The problem, as illustrated throughout this thread, is the perceived selective enforcement or even lack thereof. As it stands now, if I use my pick-up truck to deliver packages in a commercial capacity I am held to a higher standard than a dumbass in a privately owned pick-up truck. And then there are the differences in the specifics of the laws.

Bottom line is, there are innocent people being killed by these self absorbed law breaking piles of ****! And it is getting worse, not better! As time goes on, I see more people (mostly women), texting in the car.

I am a freedomist too, which is why this is so bothersome to me. I appreciate the liberty in my privately owned vehicle, but like every damn thing else in our society, a certain segment of garbage is ruining that too!

The whole point of this thread is for me to determine what should be done. How do we stop these texting piles of crap before they kill some one in one of our own families and cause all of our liberties to be stripped?

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    To me, it is extremely obvious the "texting while driving" law needs to be. The problem, as illustrated throughout this thread, is the perceived selective enforcement or even lack thereof. As it stands now, if I use my pick-up truck to deliver packages in a commercial capacity I am held to a higher standard than a dumbass in a privately owned pick-up truck. And then there are the differences in the specifics of the laws.

Bottom line is, there are innocent people being killed by these self absorbed law breaking piles of ****! And it is getting worse, not better! As time goes on, I see more people (mostly women), texting in the car.

I am a freedomist too, which is why this is so bothersome to me. I appreciate the liberty in my privately owned vehicle, but like every damn thing else in our society, a certain segment of garbage is ruining that too!

The whole point of this thread is for me to determine what should be done. How do we stop these texting piles of crap before they kill some one in one of our own families and cause all of our liberties to be stripped?

So where dies it stop? Changing the radio? Eating a hamberger? Adjusting the heater? Correcting the pint sized twerps in the backseat? What if I'm applying my eye makeup stuffage?

I'm not saying its ok to text and drive, but as pointed out previously if the offending texter is driving in an unsafe manner there is likely a law previously on the books to handle that. Texting at a red light harms no one unless you are still texting on green and are now in my way.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    If it is the texting law you refer to as being Bogus I do not agree. Drivers that are entranced with there phones make driving more dangerous and cause insurance rates to go up. I see these idiots daily swerving from white line to white line driving 30 in a 45 and lifting there head up once every 300 yards. Actually watched a women change lanes right into another car on interstate last month and then continued to drive with her phone in her hand texting.

If it's speeding your referring to as a bogus law, there is a cap in MPH that every interstate, hwy, road is safe to drive on if we are all on the same level in driving skill. The problem is were not, not even close. I truly believe getting a drivers license should be much more difficult and testing and training should be mandatory every 5 years. Way more people are injured or killed in car accident's then guns, the focus will always be on guns though.

Speed limits make sense although most of the posted ones are grossly below safe speeds for the average vehicle on the road.

The texting law is what useless as explained in my previous points. If the offending texter is driving unsafely chances are they arnt just violating the no texting law.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    Many agencies are now using delivery trucks in traffic so they can see into other cars. If they see one texting, they radio a marked unit to make the stop. One NW LA dept is using just the semi truck being driven in downtown traffic. It is bringing in a lot of money for the city. My daughter donated some to the coffers.

Sadly I held a lady in my arms waiting for the medics but she expired before they got there. She was texting and looking down at the phone using both hands. She failed to notice she was crossing the center line and hit another auto head on.

Look on the back pages of the motor vehicle crash reports. The number one distraction is shown as cell phones.

Many lives and injuries would be saved if everyone went to hands free.

Top Bottom