New Range in Killian

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrtart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    As a resident of Terry Harbor that actually lives in the back near the airstrip, I am not cool with this AT ALL! We already have to put up with hearing gunshots during gun season, now you're saying its going to be year round? I moved out there for the peace and quiet, this is unacceptable.

hunting season*

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    As a resident of Terry Harbor that actually lives in the back near the airstrip, I am not cool with this AT ALL! We already have to put up with hearing gunshots during gun season, now you're saying its going to be year round? I moved out there for the peace and quiet, this is unacceptable.

Then you probably want to show up at the Town Hall meeting he has planned. Posting your grievance here isn’t going to do much good.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA

You're already hearing gunshots year around in terry harbor. We answered a call last Friday where two idiots were shooting their 12ga into the river, in the middle of terry harbor. We have a noise pollution study ( a bit unscientific, granted, but we do our best), a pistol range set 1/3mi into the woods will not effect you in the least.
    The question is not weather we're going to build it, that's Going to happen, we're receiving state grants to make it for the PD. The question is weather you as a citizen get to enjoy it as well on Saturday morning with your family.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Then you probably want to show up at the Town Hall meeting he has planned. Posting your grievance here isn’t going to do much good.

It's not really a town hall meeting. The mayor and council members won't be there, but all the local PD's should be. The range will service 4 PD's, so I'm hoping they'll all send at least one representative.

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    It's not really a town hall meeting. The mayor and council members won't be there, but all the local PD's should be. The range will service 4 PD's, so I'm hoping they'll all send at least one representative.

Ahh.... my bad. I misread your post. I see you said it was AT the Town Hall..... helps to read correctly. ;)

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    The POST rifle qualification course has a four shots at 100yds, unless there are provisions from them like reduced size targets for those shots, you might want to provide an option for that since 4 PD's will use the property.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Ahh.... my bad. I misread your post. I see you said it was AT the Town Hall..... helps to read correctly. ;)

Hehehe, apparently shooting ranges are something of a hot potato, not exactly the thing most politicians like to get behind or out in front of. In fact, sometimes I think they stuck the new guy (me) with the job so I'd take all the **** from my neighbors instead of them Rofl.
    Surprisingly enough we've received a genuine outflow of support from the town so far. One of the reasons of the get together on the 29th is to address concerns such as this, and we're going to do everything we can to make the training facility a Positive impactor on the town.

chrtart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    How is hearing hundreds of gunshots on a saturday morning in my back yard enjoyable? I heard there is another location that is NOT right next to the largest subdivision in killian available. Makes more sense to put it there.
    You're already hearing gunshots year around in terry harbor. We answered a call last Friday where two idiots were shooting their 12ga into the river, in the middle of terry harbor. We have a noise pollution study ( a bit unscientific, granted, but we do our best), a pistol range set 1/3mi into the woods will not effect you in the least.
    The question is not weather we're going to build it, that's Going to happen, we're receiving state grants to make it for the PD. The question is weather you as a citizen get to enjoy it as well on Saturday morning with your family.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    How is hearing hundreds of gunshots on a saturday morning in my back yard enjoyable? I heard there is another location that is NOT right next to the largest subdivision in killian available. Makes more sense to put it there.

This is not the correct forum to address your concerns. Come to the meeting and we'll talk more about it where the town has a chance to listen in. Other people will want to hear this. If you want to meet up earlier than that to talk to me about it in private we can set that up.
    I will say this though: I don't personally have a horse in the race Where the range is located, that's not my decision. That decision is made way above me. If my chief has a different location suitable and available, he'll probably let me know this afternoon. If he does, and says "RL, build it Here instead There" I don't have any problem with that at all.

chrtart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    This is not the correct forum to address your concerns. Come to the meeting and we'll talk more about it where the town has a chance to listen in. Other people will want to hear this. If you want to meet up earlier than that to talk to me about it in private we can set that up.
    I will say this though: I don't personally have a horse in the race Where the range is located, that's not my decision. That decision is made way above me. If my chief has a different location suitable and available, he'll probably let me know this afternoon. If he does, and says "RL, build it Here instead There" I don't have any problem with that at all.

Well I'll say this, the resident s are just now being informed about this and they are none to happy. There is a town hall meeting tonight and I, as well as about 20 other residents will be there. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a gun range somewhere in the area, I'm a NRA member. I just dont want this literally in my back yard.

Last edited:

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    and head of a militia. I just dont want this literally in my back yard.

Did Not need to know that part.
    As for the town hall meeting tonight, if you want to bring it up no ones going to stop you lol, but no ones going to really be able to talk to about it either. The mayor "and them" don't have anything to do with it, and I'll be at school for my night class. I'll leave all my material with my chief but we're not ready for a presentation.

Can I recommend, instead of trying to throw the breaks on, maybe help KPD find a different location, if one would be available? Right now I haven't talked to "higher", so I don't have any information regarding that.

chrtart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Did Not need to know that part.
    As for the town hall meeting tonight, if you want to bring it up no ones going to stop you lol, but no ones going to really be able to talk to about it either. The mayor "and them" don't have anything to do with it, and I'll be at school for my night class. I'll leave all my material with my chief but we're not ready for a presentation.

Can I recommend, instead of trying to throw the breaks on, maybe help KPD find a different location, if one would be available? Right now I haven't talked to "higher", so I don't have any information regarding that.

Like I said, Id welcome a range somewhere in the area, just not there. Politicians are being called as we speak from some of the influencial people in the neighborhood. I wouldn't bank on TH just yet.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Like I said, Id welcome a range somewhere in the area, just not there. Politicians are being called as we speak from some of the influencial people in the neighborhood. I wouldn't bank on TH just yet.

I'm not the type to get into a pissing contest with the citizens, if you guys want a different spot I'm personally happy to oblige. I guess I'll make myself available to the town tonight to help with the conversation.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    With "the citizens" lol

Seriously though Matt, if you thought my questions were bad, it's because you hadn't let colonel white wolf.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    They should build it wherever it is ya'al run radar on 22... with the way ya'al ninja up behind folks nobody would ever know a range was there!

chrtart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Didn't mean to get in a pissing match yesterday, I was a little riled up about the news. I'm glad terry came to his senses though. It just didn't make sense to me to put a shooting range right next to the biggest subdivision(where it could annoy the most amount of people trying to relax on the weekend) in Killian. I dont think Ive met you yet Matt, I live at the end of fairway across from doug, next time you see smoke in the back yard stop by for a plate of bbq and or crawfish and introduce yourself. Keep me posted on the new range site, I may or may not have a few guns that I may or may not need to practice with, lol

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Good luck with the project Matt. When I was younger my Aunt house was the last on on the river in Carpenters Hide Away. Terry Harbor and Kings Point was just woods my Uncle hunted in. Shelly O'Neal hadn't even thought about them yet.

Top Bottom