New Reloader In Need of Guidance for 45 ACP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    Sounds like I'll stick with the Dillon crimp die for now. I do have a case gauge. I'll be checking quite frequently as I go for fit and powder charge.

Any reason why you go so short when using bayou bullets?

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I was reading some of the posting and I'm not sure what some of them meant. A factory crimp die will not make rounds easier to chamber. I've been using a Dillon machine to load .45 ACP for over 25 years now and have never needed a special crimp die to make rounds work.
    If you switch powders and go to a ball powder you will have better results then by using a flake powder. WST, WSF, 231, HS-6 & HP-38 will work a lot better. Unique is a good powder but doesn't meter as well as a ball powder. There are other powders that will work, this was just a partial list.

Beauxdog

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    Beauxdog I am glad you responded to this post I was actually going to send him in your direction for some schooling. Especially on the Dillon Equipment. This gentleman from La Reloading on Jeff Hwy can and will answer all of your questions and offers in house training Mlapor3.

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    beauxdog, thanks for the reply. I was a bit confused by the crimp die suggestion as well.

After I got home this evening I tried a test of sorts that I'd seen on another forum. There it was suggested that I cycle a few powder loads after adjusting the powder settings to let things settle in. After that it was suggested that I measure 10 loads consecutive to check for consistency. When I ran this little test I found that my powder throws were between +.2 to -.1 gr when trying to load 5.2 gr of Unique. When I tried putting 10 loads consecutively measured into a single measure it weighed 5.28 gr. I suppose that is pretty good. Is that on par with what you guys are getting for using a flake powder?

Also, thanks to all who have chimed in. Your help is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to add any other general tips/tricks you've found for working with Dillon 550's.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I don't use flake powder. I only use WST for all my pistol loads. The last time I loaded .223, it was with H-322. So, you see I load with what works for me. You can use a flake but you have to be willing to put up with them. Extruded is worse. Those little sticks sux big time.

Beauxdog

Mule700

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Prairieville, La
    I use an OAL of 1.25 with bayou bullets 230grn. If I remember off the top of my head the crimp is .69, but I will have to check my records when I get home from work. I stopped using unique because of the metering issues. I like W231, WST,
    bullseye. All of my 1911's function fine with these measurements. Good luck.

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    Thanks Mule.

I'll check out my crimp tonight. I was using 1.270" COL. I did a ladder test last weekend and got the following results from a 5" 1911 barrel using Unique powder. These were 5 shot averages with Unique powder.
    5.0 gr = 784 fps avg.
    5.2 gr = 819 fps avg.
    5.4 gr = 835 fps avg.
    5.6 gr = 851 fps avg.
    5.8 gr = 871 fps avg.
    6.0 gr = 881 fps avg.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom