Open Carry Defined

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixgundunn

Wheelgunner
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    New Orleans
    In Louisiana, would it be considered open xarry for tge grip of a pistol to be exposed with a clip on pocket hokster? Sorry od this topic has recently been covered.

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    "Open carry" is referred to as "plain view" in Louisiana court cases.
    The best thing to do is read the cases if you want to get a feel for what constitutes plain view, i.e. open carry.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    It is going to depend on the officer, some officers will think it is, but some will think it is concealed. So it can be hit or miss... Just slap a big ole' mares leg on and your good.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you mean something like this, it's not meant for open carry. Open carry IS open carry. Put your gun in a solid OWB holster.

Pocket-tuk-lead.jpg

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Intent is going to be a critical factor if you ever go to trial for something like this, right? So what is the intent of using a pocket holster? Juries can be so darn unpredictable.

If you're going to OC, then get a good retention holster. If you're going to CC, then try not to let your slip show because it scares people silly sometimes.

It might help to review State v. Fluker, but since I am not a lawyer, what do I know anyway?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    In Louisiana, would it be considered open xarry for tge grip of a pistol to be exposed with a clip on pocket hokster? Sorry od this topic has recently been covered.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if I were on a jury I would flat out say no.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It's a grey area, and one I wouldn't personally want to mess around with. The argument of "the same amount of the gun is obscured by the holster" doesn't hold up in my opinion, as a holster itself isn't really concealing a weapon, just retaining it while still being pretty obvious what it is. But sticking it in your pants or pocket is concealing over half of the gun and holster. Not what I'd consider plain view, and not something I'd want to leave up to officer/judge discretion.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If I were on a jury I'd vote in the manner that supports the Second Amendment. Carrying IWB or AIWB would be fine.

Of course, I wholly do not expect the interpretation of the law to be so "passionate" about the Bill of Rights.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    This reminds me of a time years ago when the Chief of a very small State Civil Service PD(I will not say) was in casual attire and carrying a Raven .25ACP in an IWB(left hand) clipped to his belt outside the pants with his badge next to it.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    If it's visible at all, I'd think it would be considered open carry. But yeah, that's not something I would take chances with. Not worth the risk. Just go with either open, or concealed; don't toe the line.

evidrine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2015
    Louisiana
    If you carry partially concealed you can and will get in trouble for it. Especially if you don't have a permit to conceal. like most of you I don't necessarily agree with this but it is the way it is. Choose one or the other. Don't chance the headache.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    If anyone wants to try this and become a test case, then "Be our guest, be our guest.......!":dogkeke:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom