Opinions needed: Most reliable .380 pocket pistol? Best SD ammo.380? Why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If you're going for deep concealment/pocket carry, I'll never understand the logic behind a tiny metal framed gun that weighs a pound like the P238 and micro Eagle. Kinda defeats the purpose IMO.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    If you're going for deep concealment/pocket carry, I'll never understand the logic behind a tiny metal framed gun that weighs a pound like the P238 and micro Eagle. Kinda defeats the purpose IMO.

Agreed. Go light for easier concealment, and suck it up. They're all going to have an attitude when firing, just deal with it.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Ruger LCP for size but I find the 6 round capacity to be a negative. If you are set on it being a 380 but have a little flexibility, why hasn't anybody mentioned a Bersa? Good pistol for the $$$ (around $300+) and the CC version is smallish with an 8rd +1 capacity. Too small for my liking and I sold mine to get the regular Thunder. Eight round capacity (7+1), same low cost and a very good, reliable gun. Thumbs up for the Bersa.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Ruger LCP for size but I find the 6 round capacity to be a negative. If you are set on it being a 380 but have a little flexibility, why hasn't anybody mentioned a Bersa? Good pistol for the $$$ (around $300+) and the CC version is smallish with an 8rd +1 capacity. Too small for my liking and I sold mine to get the regular Thunder. Eight round capacity (7+1), same low cost and a very good, reliable gun. Thumbs up for the Bersa.

Because many of us here don't think highly of South American pistols... that and the whole Deafdave deal. Thumbs down for Bersa.

4-thumbs-down-o.gif

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

The OP asked about reliable pocket guns, the Bersas are neither. ;)

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    The OP asked about reliable pocket guns, the Bersas are neither. ;)

Can't argue on the your "pocket" standpoint, but the Bersa I carry everyday and shoot regularly will disagree with your view of lacking reliability. It's not a Glock or M&P, but it has functioned flawlessly no matter what crap I've ran through it.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    My experiences:

First 380 - Bryco/Jennings 380. POS. Still shot everytime I pulled the trigger. Sold it.

2nd 380 - Grendel 380 from the mid nineties. Worked great, but had an internal non detachable mag. Too much a PITA to deal with reloading so SOLD IT.

3rd 380 - Walther PPKs stainless. NEVER a FTF/FTE/Failure to fire. Ever. Eats every ammo I put in it. My model is interarms import model from the late 80s early 90s.

4th 380 Diamondback DB380. Nice gun. Trigger was too long a pull for me with long fingers. (I know, sounds weird) I could pull one round off but the gun would short stroke on the trigger with my sixed fingers (large thin and long) Sold it.

5th Ruger LCP. Worked great, grip too small for me. I liked the size though. Sold it.

6th 380? Nope. Kept #3. Wather PPKs. Just got a new firing pin for it. Old one was broken. Works like a charm. Have used handloads, FMJs, Gold dot 90 grain loads, and the current load I have in it is something I bought back in 2004/5 time frame. Don't remember the name, but they work well. 90 Grain HP's have always fed in all of them as well as 90 grain FMJs. When I tried 100 grain anything they all jammed. Every one.

Hope this helps

pwl822

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    lcp in uncle mikes cheap pocket holster , ammo is what ever free gets handed to me , its so comfortable you can almost forget you have it . but it is very comfortin . first rule of gun fight , HAVE GUN

hpcatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Greater New Orleans Area
    I carry and trust my Kahr P380. Small, lightweight, and accurate. Takes about 200 rounds to break in, but who'd carry a gun without that round count and trust it to protect his/her life? I like Hornaday Critical Defense rounds in it.

lp11

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Livingston Parish

I'll throw my 2 cents in, I carry my Kahr p380 daily, did the break in when I first got it, no issues, as lead foot
    Stated, contact Kee with RM holsters, he recently made a owb for my sig tac ops , great fit.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    500ish rounds through my LCP (not a super large amount of rounds) but regardless has been flawless and suprisingly accurate with practice. It is my "all the time carry." .380 pocket isnt a gun Chuck Noris would carry but its better than no gun at all. :cool:

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Can't argue on the your "pocket" standpoint, but the Bersa I carry everyday and shoot regularly will disagree with your view of lacking reliability. It's not a Glock or M&P, but it has functioned flawlessly no matter what crap I've ran through it.

This ^^^^. I respect varying opinions but the current crop of Bersas ain't too bad. When is the last time you shot a current production one? I bought a Thunder CC model (slim, almost useless sights and small for CC) mainly for my grandudes to shoot 'cause they were getting restless with shooting just my .22s. It turned out to be a little TOO small for my hands (the grandudes are only infrequent users) so I sold the CC model and acquired a regular size Thunder.

It had useable sights, a bigger grip and , so far, has been a good gun. I wouldn't carry it if I was a LEO or professional person, but for a little 380 that is seemingly reliable, inexpensive, accurate and seems built well, I think the Bersa is a good gun especially for the price. Check it out again before you condemn them altogether. :peep: You might change your mind.

Last edited:

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I keep a SW Bodyguard .380 handy. I've found I shoot it better than my little .38 snubby, and I have two more shots. So far, no malfunctions.
    With some cheapo ammo, I have had to double strike to get a round to fire. No issues with quality ammo though.

Mac 1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Welsh, LA
    Check out the Beretta Cheetah. I don't carry but, I have the Ruger LCP and the Walther PK 380. The PK sucks. The Ruger is alright to shoot but, the Cheetah is the ticket in my limited .380 experience.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Check out the Beretta Cheetah. I don't carry but, I have the Ruger LCP and the Walther PK 380. The PK sucks. The Ruger is alright to shoot but, the Cheetah is the ticket in my limited .380 experience.

The Op. asked about pocket pistols, the Cheetah is too large and too heavy.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    I've shot a bunch of the mouse guns on the market and the two that I prefer are the Kahr and the Sig P238. Just my personal preference. For ammo....any bonded bullet will do.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom