Pediatrician visit and gun question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Brought my daughter today to the pediatrician. They are in the process of switching to an electronic records system. The nurse had us fill out new insurance info, no biggie. When we got in the examining room they start asking other questions... smoke detectors, pets, etc. about half way down she says 'you don't have to answer this one but are there any guns in the house'. I replied with 'none of your business', she laughed and said that they get that a lot...

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I thought they passed a law saying it was not legal to ask if you own or possess guns in the home? Maybe that was just in one state other than ours... or maybe it didn't get asked.

Off to the google machine!

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I thought they passed a law saying it was not legal to ask if you own or possess guns in the home? Maybe that was just in one state other than ours... or maybe it didn't get asked.

Off to the google machine!

Believe that was one state. Offhand, I think it was either Florida or Texas

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    A good number of people consider "on a high shelf" as "secured"

Not to sound callous, but the horrible things that happened to those folks' family when they got hold of unsecured guns is squarely the gun owner's fault.

All guns should be locked up if not in use

That's my personal opinion.

It's also not what is being asked by doctors.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Not to sound callous, but the horrible things that happened to those folks' family when they got hold of unsecured guns is squarely the gun owner's fault.

It can be an education issue. New parents don't always realize the resourcefulness of little kids. Same goes for asking about pools, poison, CO detectors, etc. I think it represents physician bias if they're asking only about firearms, but it's good practice to include firearms in the list of questions

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    it was one of Obama's executive orders after Sandy Hook.

"16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

Read more: http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/01/16/read-full-list-of-23-gun-violence-reduction-executive-actions/#ixzz2cSwrMHIC"

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I don't see it as some kind of conspiracy , but if it bothers you to answer it , don't . No need to make goofy comments to the Nurse , she's just doing what she's told .

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    My kids pediatrician actually asked kids if they felt safe in their house. They should, they know how to load and use the guns we have.

Last edited:

nola.bugler

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    New Orleans
    Many times the questionnaires are standardized, oftentimes the only changes being the letterhead.

I tend to align myself with the idea that it's more to educate the patient or the patient's parents. I don't think it's a big conspiracy to identify and register gunowners for the government. The patient-physician relationship with respect to confidentiality still stands and cannot be broken except in very narrow circumstances. Examples are imminent danger to self or others, the latter as evidenced by Tarasoff v. Regents of the University of California in 1976.

The question may be broached in another way:
    Doctor: Have you had thoughts about hurting yourself or hurting others?
    Patient: Yes, I've thought about hurting myself, but I've been going through a rough patch in my life with my husband. They're just fleeting thoughts.
    Doctor: I can certainly empathize with that and can offer whatever help you need if you like. Have you thought about how you would do it? Do you have any guns in the house?
    etc. etc. etc.​

BTW, my doctor owns more guns than I do. ;)

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville

I would agree with this statement if YOU can assure me when MR. BG comes through the front door he will give me adequate time to UNSECURE my SECURED protection!!

Legislate and regulate YOUR KIDS......NOT MY GUNS!!
    It is as simple as awareness and training......

KT

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I would agree with this statement if YOU can assure me when MR. BG comes through the front door he will give me adequate time to UNSECURE my SECURED protection!!

Legislate and regulate YOUR KIDS......NOT MY GUNS!!
    It is as simple as awareness and training......

KT

Have it on your person. If you're going to bed, put it in a quick access safe. It won't take that much longer to access than it would from IWB carry or from your nightstand drawer. Or leave it on your bedroom dresser and lock your door at night. Plenty of reasonable solutions that keep your firearm at ready access and out of the hands of your kid

Last edited:

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    It can be an education issue. New parents don't always realize the resourcefulness of little kids. Same goes for asking about pools, poison, CO detectors, etc. I think it represents physician bias if they're asking only about firearms, but it's good practice to include firearms in the list of questions

You deserve the fascist state you will get. Unfortunately, the rest of us, who recognize this for what it is, will have to put up with it.

God, what has happened to this board?

Last edited:

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    You deserve the fascist state you will get. Unfortunately, the rest of us, who recognize this for what it is, will have to put up with it.

God, what has happened to this board?

:dogkeke:

You're welcome to not answer the question or lie and say no, but bringing up various safety issues for individuals around kids is appropriate medical practice. Maybe the thimerosal or fluoride is just getting to my head though

Top Bottom