Question about firearm purchase and felony arrest.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRitchieLCK

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, La
    I have a coworker who was arrested on a felony drug charge in 2002. He was 17 and did some time and was released in Feb of 2005. He has since turned his life around and was asking about purchasing a handgun. From what I've heard if the felony is 10 years in the past you can purchase a firearm. Does the 10 years start from when he was released from jail or does it start after you are finished with parole?

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    No.

From everything I have been reading from the BS Felons, since he will never qualify for a CHP, federal law prohibits him from ever possessing a firearm.

Or something like that.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Gonna need more info. What was the charge? Was he on probation? If so, when did it end. Cannt answer completely until we have all the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRitchieLCK

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, La
    So basically what I've gathered from the last two links posted is one the States Artical states that as long as the crime wasn't violent, sexual, involving a firearm or the manufacturing of an explosive after the 10 years is complete that he's good to go. On the other hand the second link to a previous BS thread says that any felony that restricts you from obtaining a CHP therefore disqualifies you from any possession or ownership of anything classified as a firearm. Correct? So basically he's just sol?

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    He basically has not chance in hell.. felony is felony.. even if he got it expunged.. no chance.. Louisiana does not recognize that.. Sorry, should have thought better ..

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette

"C. The provisions of this Section prohibiting the possession of firearms and carrying concealed weapons by persons who have been convicted of certain felonies shall not apply to any person who has not been convicted of any felony for a period of ten years from the date of completion of sentence, probation, parole, or suspension of sentence."

From my understanding reading the statute he should be good to go in 2017.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    "C. The provisions of this Section prohibiting the possession of firearms and carrying concealed weapons by persons who have been convicted of certain felonies shall not apply to any person who has not been convicted of any felony for a period of ten years from the date of completion of sentence, probation, parole, or suspension of sentence."

Ok, Name ONE person who has been able to get a permit with a felony.. and proof..

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan

perhaps, but I was responding directly to this. BTW, if you can get a permit, you are likely able to buy a gun.. very similar background check.. very..

coance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    Haughton la
    Ok, Name ONE person who has been able to get a permit with a felony.. and proof..

I am a felon that had a permit. Can send proof to a email if you really need it.

That being said I no longer have it.

To the original poster it is very sticky. Under La law he can get his rights back after 10 years. According to the Fed he would be in violation doing it though because they say if he cant get a CHP that under federal law he cannot be in possession of a firearm

Last edited:

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    According to the Fed he would be in violation doing it though because they say if he cant get a CHP that under federal law he cannot be in possession of a firearm

Interesting, I never heard of this before reading this thread. Was this some recent ruling?

So this means that in places like CA and NY a lot of people who are otherwise legal to possess a gun are illegal gun owners because they don't qualify for a CHP in their state?

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I am a felon that had a permit. Can send proof to a email if you really need it.

That being said I no longer have it.

To the original poster it is very sticky. Under La law he can get his rights back after 10 years. According to the Fed he would be in violation doing it though because they say if he cant get a CHP that under federal law he cannot be in possession of a firearm

was the reason you dont have it now, related to the mistake the state made when they issued it to you? For the record, I hate the fact that felons cannot have guns.. the constitution did not say unless your a felon.. we did that later as a feel good law.. but I knew it when I was younger and thus made prudent decisions

coance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    Haughton la
    It was revoked after I was denied a firearms purchase. The Fed said I was denied because I couldn't have a chp. After that I asked the state what was going on and was informed that my chp would be revoked even though when I had gotten it I had sent them my complete history, fingerprints and a copy of my first offender pardon.
    Anyone who has questions about when this all changed or how things are now viewed I would send them to read the thread about it here on BS

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom