Question about firearm purchase and felony arrest.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    We cannot keep condemning people forever; for acts of stupidity in earlier life. There has to be some avenue of atonement. Besides, it is unfair to demonize a man in his 30's, 40's or 50's, for some mistake he made when he was a teenager, UNLESS the act of stupidity was violent in nature.

Also, everyone that believes in the US Constitution should be livid about this. This is an orchestrated affront to the 2nd Amendment! There is no basis for depriving a free man that has paid his dues, a Constitutional Right to defend him or herself or his/her loved ones.

You people caught in this need to push to get this law changed!

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    We cannot keep condemning people forever; for acts of stupidity in earlier life. There has to be some avenue of atonement. Besides, it is unfair to demonize a man in his 30's, 40's or 50's, for some mistake he made when he was a teenager, UNLESS the act of stupidity was violent in nature.

Also, everyone that believes in the US Constitution should be livid about this. This is an orchestrated affront to the 2nd Amendment! There is no basis for depriving a free man that has paid his dues, a Constitutional Right to defend him or herself or his/her loved ones.

You people caught in this need to push to get this law changed!

I have dealt with my fair share of felons at work and away from work and would say there is a small fraction that has completely turned their lives around. They knew the consequences but did the crime anyhow. There has to be consequences to people's actions. What makes a person that commits a violent felony in their youth less likely to turn their life around in their 60s. Where do we draw the line? I think the law is correct in keeping felons from owning guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have dealt with my fair share of felons at work and away from work and would say there is a small fraction that has completely turned their lives around. They knew the consequences but did the crime anyhow. There has to be consequences to people's actions. What makes a person that commits a violent felony in their youth less likely to turn their life around in their 60s. Where do we draw the line? I think the law is correct in keeping felons from owning guns.

I understand that line of reasoning. We have an idiot pretending to be the President of the US, that admitted he used cocaine; a felony!

We draw the line where everyone is comfortable. Right now, we just assume that all of them are completely irresponsible forever. That is not righteous or fair. We are going to hold ex-cons that have served time, and ran a clean probation to a higher standard than the dumbass? He has control of the worlds largest and most lethal weapons arsenal!

And remember, I said UNLESS they are violent felonies. Getting caught selling an ounce of weed in High School in the 80's does not guarantee that person will have a penchant for committing another felony in 2015.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA

In all fairness, he did specifically say "UNLESS the act of stupidity was violent in nature".

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I am aware of what he said. Violent felons and selling weed are still bad life choices. What if it's a bar fight and you hit someone too hard and get convicted. That's a violent Felony. Bad choices are bad choices

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Love the holier-than-thou attitude around this place. People make bad choices, especially teenagers. I know several people who either got caught or could have been caught on several stupid things in high school and freshman year of college that are clean as a whistle now. Some of them are even good, honest cops. And what teenage boy isn't a hothead prone to getting into a fight that could turn ugly? Who is some random, cynical guy on the internet to tell them they don't deserve the same rights because he's been Dudley Do - right his whole life?

And just for the record, I've made very few "bad choices" in my life and have never received more than a speeding ticket.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I am aware of what he said. Violent felons and selling weed are still bad life choices. What if it's a bar fight and you hit someone too hard and get convicted. That's a violent Felony. Bad choices are bad choices

Actually I am glad you used bar fighting as an example. When I was a punk (yes, the Emperor led a charmed life), I probably had more bar fights than most can even imagine. It was nothing for me and my running buddies to throw down, and the reasons were as stupid as the fights themselves. We never had a second thought about beating the crap out of others. That was when I was in my late teens and early 20's. When I was in my late 20's I wouldn't even consider fighting any one for any reason. I grew up, matured, and realized how stupid it was. And besides, I was able to get through my fighting years with all my original teeth. They started costing me my own money to keep clean and I wanted to keep them!

But through it, what made me change was an awareness when I did start thinking about what would happen if I killed someone, or paralyzed someone? The consequences. I don't break laws today. And I am a hell of a good guy to boot! :p

I learned life lessons without prison, probation, or an ex-con status. That was the only difference!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Love the holier-than-thou attitude around this place. People make bad choices, especially teenagers. I know several people who either got caught or could have been caught on several stupid things in high school and freshman year of college that are clean as a whistle now. Some of them are even good, honest cops. And what teenage boy isn't a hothead prone to getting into a fight that could turn ugly? Who is some random, cynical guy on the internet to tell them they don't deserve the same rights because he's been Dudley Do - right his whole life?

And just for the record, I've made very few "bad choices" in my life and have never received more than a speeding ticket.

I don't feel that is his angle on this. His perspective is from a legitimate side of life that many don't see or can even imagine. There is a huge difference between a holier-than-thou perspective and a observational one.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Actually I am glad you used bar fighting as an example. When I was a punk (yes, the Emperor led a charmed life), I probably had more bar fights than most can even imagine. It was nothing for me and my running buddies to throw down, and the reasons were as stupid as the fights themselves. We never had a second thought about beating the crap out of others. That was when I was in my late teens and early 20's. When I was in my late 20's I wouldn't even consider fighting any one for any reason. I grew up, matured, and realized how stupid it was. And besides, I was able to get through my fighting years with all my original teeth. They started costing me my own money to keep clean and I wanted to keep them!

But through it, what made me change was an awareness when I did start thinking about what would happen if I killed someone, or paralyzed someone? The consequences. I don't break laws today. And I am a hell of a good guy to boot! :p

I learned life lessons without prison, probation, or an ex-con status. That was the only difference!

That was my point. If you would have killed someone it was still a bad decision. Some people never mature or start making better decisions.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Uh, if you're asking who then I guess that would be me aka Dudley do right. I think you are missing the point though. Not trying to portray a holier than though attitude just chose to not make decisions that would have made me a convicted felon. Apparently you made those choices but didn't get caught, guess your just lucky.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I understand that line of reasoning. We have an idiot pretending to be the President of the US, that admitted he used cocaine; a felony!

We draw the line where everyone is comfortable. Right now, we just assume that all of them are completely irresponsible forever. That is not righteous or fair. We are going to hold ex-cons that have served time, and ran a clean probation to a higher standard than the dumbass? He has control of the worlds largest and most lethal weapons arsenal!

And remember, I said UNLESS they are violent felonies. Getting caught selling an ounce of weed in High School in the 80's does not guarantee that person will have a penchant for committing another felony in 2015.

Bush and Obama both admitted to using cocaine. Both are felons who escaped criminal charges. They are not convicted felons, but they committed felonies. They are both allowed to own firearms. I see something wrong with this picture. I see a privileged class of Ivy League millionaires who get away with anything they want, but insist on holding the unwashed masses accountable to the fullest extent of the law.
    If the President of the United States is allowed to keep his Constitutional Rights after admitting to a felony, then why should anyone else loose their rights?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    That was my point. If you would have killed someone it was still a bad decision. Some people never mature or start making better decisions.

But remember, I won't advocate for violent ex-con morons to get their guns back. I mean if you have a rap sheet that screams "Potential Murderer/Armed Robber/Rapist", etc; then yes, F you! What we see here is some folks that did make those bad choices; or what David Duke likes to call youthful indiscretions, and now are being permanently penalized for them.

And my empathy is not necessarily for the individual but the individual's Right to self defense for starters. The mechanism to restore (or in these cases, deny), a non-hardened criminal's Right is what I have an issue with.

Now get out there and write some tickets, Dudley! :p

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I think if you served your time and parole, do the ten years without as much as a speeding ticket then why shouldn't their rights be re-instated to own, posses, and even get a chp? If your a criminal your going to carry and break the law anyway, if you have been doing the right thing and being a productive member of society then why should they still be penalized?

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana

Then there is no way you can ever consider yourself a patriot. Based on your statements. Don't think of us as Felons although at one point we did commit a felonious act. We actually have all of our rights restored immediately upon receipt of a First Offenders Pardon. We are PARDONED. Dude I could run for a political seat. Case in point Edwin Edwards. He is a felon. What makes what he did any more or less worthy than a 20 year old who got caught with a little too much pot at a party? Edwin Edwards had his rights restored immediately.

Since you despise felons so much. How do you feel about the people who in 2013 were able to purchase firearms legally buy going through NICS checks, but in 2014 the ATF/FBI decides that since there was a change in Louisiana law designed to strengthening gun rights for all citizens even those who were pardoned; now those men and women who have lived clean lives since their one mishap run the risk of being turned into Federal Felons. How could you possibly support ruining those peoples live? When they have lived by the letter of the law longer than you have probably been alive.

The Constitution as I remember it with regards to the right to bear arms says "shall not be infringed". You are looking at it from the aspect as it is you against them. Them being felons. The real issue is everyday the government is taking an inch from US. It might be an inch that you don't care about or does not pertain to you but one day the inch will be yours. Louisiana made a determination that 10 years from completion of sentence is where the line was drawn, since you were interested in lines. That was your question correct??

For every felon that is going to be a different time frame because you have to complete your sentence first. Of the felons that you work with how many of them are still on probation or parole? Well if any of them are; their 10 year waiting period has not even started yet. Now how many of them are off probation or parole? Depending on how long they have been off probation or parole that is how much time they have towards the 10 and getting their 2A rights restored. The reason it was designed like this was to see how felons reintegrated into society before their gun rights would be restored. I seriously doubt that any of the felons you come into contact with at your job have reached this point. The very nature of 14:95.1s design will weed out the majority of felons because once you become a repeat offender the 2A Rights restoration period is off the table.

So you are telling me that a person who committed a NON-Violent felony in his 20s, became the model example whilst on probation for 5 years, completed it and lived 10 years in society without as much as a parking ticket does not deserve the right to be armed? Technically the people we are talking about have had their rights restored. They are Pardoned. This is an issue of Federal Jurisdiction trampling on the rights of Louisiana's citizens who happened to have committed a felony almost 2 decades ago. Today its my rights being trampled, but tomorrow it will be yours like with the Sig Brace, M855 etc. You either stand with your fellow citizens or we all hang separate.

Last edited:

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    But remember, I won't advocate for violent ex-con morons to get their guns back. I mean if you have a rap sheet that screams "Potential Murderer/Armed Robber/Rapist", etc; then yes, F you! What we see here is some folks that did make those bad choices; or what David Duke likes to call youthful indiscretions, and now are being permanently penalized for them.

And my empathy is not necessarily for the individual but the individual's Right to self defense for starters. The mechanism to restore (or in these cases, deny), a non-hardened criminal's Right is what I have an issue with.

Now get out there and write some tickets, Dudley! :p

LOL you are funny dude :rofl:

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Uh, if you're asking who then I guess that would be me aka Dudley do right. I think you are missing the point though. Not trying to portray a holier than though attitude just chose to not make decisions that would have made me a convicted felon. Apparently you made those choices but didn't get caught, guess your just lucky.

Im sure you have committed felonies also, but you were lucky enough not to get caught too. Not everyone is lucky; I guess that is our line. Show me the man; Ill show you the crime. Ever shouldered a Sig Brace? Gotcha! Just an example " What if a 21 year old went to the range today with a Sig Pistol that has a stabilizing brace on it and shouldered it? Some one calls the doberman's off of Animal Farm to enforce policy, and the kid now becomes a Felon. Do you see how ridiculous this can get now; or is it still not good enough? I know ignorance is no excuse, but should he become a Felon and have his life ruined? Its a slippery slope.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Im sure you have committed felonies also, but you were lucky enough not to get caught too. Not everyone is lucky; I guess that is our line. Show me the man; Ill show you the crime. Ever shouldered a Sig Brace? Gotcha! Just an example " What if a 21 year old went to the range today with a Sig Pistol that has a stabilizing brace on it and shouldered it? Some one calls the doberman's off of Animal Farm to enforce policy, and the kid now becomes a Felon. Do you see how ridiculous this can get now; or is it still not good enough? I know ignorance is no excuse, but should he become a Felon and have his life ruined? Its a slippery slope.

Ok, first of all I have NEVER committed a felony. Sorry to disappoint. I also do not work with any felons. I am sorry you are a felon and made bad life choices, but that's not my fault. Be mad at yourself, not me. I also served my country by serving in the military and not serving time in jail so if you don't think I'm a patriot then I am not really bothered by your opinion. I'm not trying to be an ass and I cannt be anti felon because I know one.

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    crime should match the time. I believe that if you're worthy enough to be reinserted you should have all of your rights restored. I mean that's what prison is essentially; the people of society take your rights for a period of time. I feel this way with all crimes. if you're a child molester when you get out you shouldn't be restricted from going to a park because I feel you shouldn't get out ever. if you get a dwi you should stay locked up for a substantial amount of time and when you get out have no restrictions. again, crime matches time. I think we're too lenient when it comes to prison time and would rather restrict someone's rights outside of prison as a substitute. just make them serve an appropriate term and then restore them fully. just my opinion.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    crime should match the time. I believe that if you're worthy enough to be reinserted you should have all of your rights restored. I mean that's what prison is essentially; the people of society take your rights for a period of time. I feel this way with all crimes. if you're a child molester when you get out you shouldn't be restricted from going to a park because I feel you shouldn't get out ever. if you get a dwi you should stay locked up for a substantial amount of time and when you get out have no restrictions. again, crime matches time. I think we're too lenient when it comes to prison time and would rather restrict someone's rights outside of prison as a substitute. just make them serve an appropriate term and then restore them fully. just my opinion.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Top Bottom