Question about open carry in Louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I have no problem with open carry and respect the rights of gun owners. It's stupid people that bother me and it doesn't really matter what they are doing.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    If I do carry in the open, I'm on my way to or from my hunting lease or the weather warmed after I started out concealed and I took off my jacket or outer shirt-and usually in a place where the people are familiar with me. I don't know about St. Landry, but in EBR, as long as you're behaving yourself when spotted and stay polite if approached, any conversations with LEOs should go well.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Yep I would like to know too. LRS 14:103

§103. Disturbing the peace

A. Disturbing the peace is the doing of any of the following in such manner as would foreseeably disturb or alarm the public:

(1) Engaging in a fistic encounter; or

(2) Addressing any offensive, derisive, or annoying words to any other person who is lawfully in any street, or other public place; or call him by any offensive or derisive name, or make any noise or exclamation in his presence and hearing with the intent to deride, offend, or annoy him, or to prevent him from pursuing his lawful business, occupation, or duty; or

(3) Appearing in an intoxicated condition; or

(4) Engaging in any act in a violent and tumultuous manner by any three or more persons; or

(5) Holding of an unlawful assembly; or

(6) Interruption of any lawful assembly of people; or

(7) Intentionally engaging in any act or any utterance, gesture, or display designed to disrupt a funeral, funeral home viewing, funeral procession, wake, memorial service, or burial of a deceased person.

(8) Intentionally blocking, impeding, inhibiting, or in any other manner obstructing or interfering with access into or from any building or parking lot of a building in which a funeral, wake, memorial service, or burial is being conducted, or any burial plot or the parking lot of the cemetery in which a funeral, wake, memorial service, or burial is being conducted.

B.(1) Whoever commits the crime of disturbing the peace shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than ninety days, or both.

(2) Whoever commits the crime of disturbing the peace as provided in Paragraphs (A)(7) and (8) of this Section shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Amended by Acts 1960, No. 70, §1; Acts 1963, No. 93, §1; Acts 1968, No. 647, §1; Acts 1979, No. 222, §1; Acts 2006, No. 805, §1.

Disturbing the Peace is often used in an attempt to get a "win" when no charge will really stick. It's just hoped that the person will rather pay the relatively small fine and make the situation go away than demand a trial.

Bkjsdc09

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Hammond
    I don't see why it's a bad idea or 'stupid' as fore mentioned. It's your right! It may take away an element of surprise if the SHTF scenario panned out in line at a grocery store, but I know that thug walking in to rob the place will reconsider quickly. Why if you aren't issued a CCW permit is it wrong to carry in a professional manner in accordance with the law stupid? I've never understood it. Hadji never had an issue with me open carrying? :)

I defiantly agree that it's your right to be able to open carry a firearm, and I'm not saying its wrong to carry in a professional manner, but the thing with open carry is that you are introducing a gun into a situation and it may act as a deterrent to the guy that's going to rob the convenient store with an ice pic but the the guy walking in with nothing to lose carrying a 12 ga loaded to the hilt with 00buck sees you as the first target. As far as introducing a gun into the situation, cops have there weapons taken away all the time, and I'm sure we have all seen the kabar tdi knives that are designed for this reason. So if someone can get a gun away from someone with the training of an LEO, the chances them getting yours is greater. I'm not bashing folks that OC I just think in general it's a better idea to CC.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I'm sorry. It sounds as if you're still offended, despite my best efforts to clarify my original post.

Perhaps you'd be comforted if I had said "The vast majority of those who open-carry are intellectual adolescents."

I'm curious. I OC daily. To make matters worse, I OC a .22lr. So, . . . How would you assess my intellectual assets?

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I'm curious. I OC daily. To make matters worse, I OC a .22lr. So, . . . How would you assess my intellectual assets?

I can see that I have inadvertently ruffled a few feathers with my previous remarks. Please allow me to set restate my position.

The vast majority of open-carriers have the mentality of a feeble-minded prepubescent. They love to pontificate on forums like this about importance of doing so to protect and preserve their second amendment rights. But only a tiny minority of these emotional misfits have any training to qualify them for open-carry.

This is why I founded Louisiana Open Carry Operators (LOCO) Academy. And It is why we are currently seeking instructors to teach our Open Carry courses to help further the cause.

We will be conducting elementary, intermediate and advanced level classes, so instructors with varying degrees of experience are welcome to apply.

All instructors must be able to demonstrate basic open-carry skills "on demand," without relying on a warm-up session. These skills will include (but are not necessarily limited to):

* The open-carry "strut 'n swagger"
    * The ability to simultaneously blade at a 45-degree angle and shout "You will not touch my weapon."

Intermediate and advanced instructors are expected to wear appropriate open-carry attire. Camo and gun logos are de rigeur -- flashy/tacky originality is encouraged.

Personal grooming is an evaluation factor. A two or three day growth of facial hair is preferable to a neatly trimmed beard or goatee. Hitler-style mustaches and tattoos are appropriate for any open carry class.

The most important evaluation factor will be your verifiable personal open-carry experience. Open-carry episodes on your own property will be deemed of less significance than trips to Wal-Mart or Cabela's. Affidavits from acquaintances will be accepted, but will carry less weight than security videos from retail establishments and official arrest records from local law enforcement agencies.

Resumes' will be accepted through December 31, 20129. All decisions of the Personnel Evaluation Committee will be final. LOCO Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation (gays, lesbians and transsexuals are welcome), mental deficiencies (those with IQ's over 80 need not apply) or those with a history of mental illness.

Contact us at www.LocoAcademy.com

Last edited:

CenLa Commando

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Alexandria
    Cops Open Carry, Detectives Open Carry, Plain Clothes Agents Open Carry, Security Guards Open Carry, but anyone "civilian" who does it is dumb? Many Civilian's are former LEO or Military and have had proper training. If we are judging by how accurate the shooting of the NYPD was a few months ago, I'll gladly take my chances with civilians. Also if you get arrested for Disturbing the Peace for OC, I would have three words for them. Neblitt, Beard & Arsenault. ... Now with that said, I have learned you cannot ask reasonable questions on this forum without SmartA$$ answers from know-it-alls who teach CCW classes and benefit off the money the state forces you to pay for before issuing you a permit. Open Carry interferes with their source of income so they belittle people who choose to exercise their rights.

III% O.K.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Cops Open Carry, Detectives Open Carry, Plain Clothes Agents Open Carry, Security Guards Open Carry, but anyone "civilian" who does it is dumb?

Dear Mr. Commando:

The format of your application is a bit unorthodox, but we will be happy to consider you for an instructor position at LOCO Academy. You seem to have the appropriate level of belligerence, and you seem to meet the intelligence criterion.

However, before we can process your submittal, there is the small matter of a (non-refundable) application fee. You will be pleased to know that this nominal $400 fee can be paid with cash or money order.

We ask that you also include recent color photos of yourself. Booking photos work well for this, especially if they clearly show tats.

We look forward to hearing from you.

LOCO Academy

p.s. We all know that you understand -- but for those less experienced in the nuances of open-carry: In response to your clearly rhetorical question about cops and detectives open-carrying (I'll ignore the "security guards" for obvious reasons), there are many differences between a sworn LEO's level of training and that of the average primate that struts around Wal-Mart with a Bersa hooked to his belt.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Cops Open Carry, Detectives Open Carry, Plain Clothes Agents Open Carry, Security Guards Open Carry, but anyone "civilian" who does it is dumb? Many Civilian's are former LEO or Military and have had proper training. If we are judging by how accurate the shooting of the NYPD was a few months ago, I'll gladly take my chances with civilians. Also if you get arrested for Disturbing the Peace for OC, I would have three words for them. Neblitt, Beard & Arsenault. ... Now with that said, I have learned you cannot ask reasonable questions on this forum without SmartA$$ answers from know-it-alls who teach CCW classes and benefit off the money the state forces you to pay for before issuing you a permit. Open Carry interferes with their source of income so they belittle people who choose to exercise their rights.

III% O.K.

I would not say dumb, not at all.

SOME of them are woefully untrained and uninformed.

Just like the "bad cop" threads where people paint all police with a wide brush, so too do OC'ers get painted with an equally wide brush because of a few 'yards.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    As a member of the constabulary I will say that I would much rather carry my sidearm concealed than if full view of the public.

CenLa Commando

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Alexandria
    I can show you just as many idiots conceal carrying as there is open carrying. I would venture to say there are many more. I would much rather be able to see an idiot with a gun who may be incompetent than not know how many are around me. Just because they have a La carry permit, does not make them a navy seal with judgement and accuracy. Dawg, I don't see how you have any students with your smart ass mouth. You are that annoying jerk at the range that tries to offer unwanted advice because if anyone pays for your abuse and arrogance, they are not too self confident.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I can show you just as many idiots conceal carrying as there is open carrying. I would venture to say there are many more. I would much rather be able to see an idiot with a gun who may be incompetent than not know how many are around me. Just because they have a La carry permit, does not make them a navy seal with judgement and accuracy. Dawg, I don't see how you have any students with your smart ass mouth. You are that annoying jerk at the range that tries to offer unwanted advice because if anyone pays for your abuse and arrogance, they are not too self confident.

Dear "Commando" :rolleyes:

Gee, aren't you the same guy who accused LSP972 of the same exact stuff. You'll recall that you said, "I see that by requesting that I did not need Smart A$$ remarks did not help. There's always some know-it-alls everywhere you go. Kind of like those at the gun range that always want to "tell you what you are doing wrong" and how they were "Super secret airborne ranger navy seals"... I've never claimed to be in the same league as LSP972, but I thank you for the compliment.

Surely you also remember that classic thread about your amazement that your Florida non-resident was no longer valid-- the one where you said, "I find it in very poor taste for not being notified by either Florida or Louisiana of the new money making law that Louisiana passed last year." I offered to call the Governor and request that a personal apology be extended to you for his cavalier disregard of your little feelings. But you didn't take me up on that offer.

Of course, as that thread developed, it became pretty clear that you probably wouldn't qualify for a Louisiana CHP -- something about three divorces and multiple lawsuits filed against you for questionable business practices. (I believe you said, "When you are divorced 3 times and have been subjected to several civil suits due to business, it gets a little time consuming.")

And then you had the immaturity to proclaim "If you trust someone with a firearm, it shouldn't matter if it is hidden or in plain sight. Trust is Trust." I wonder how all that "trust" stuff is working for you --- especially after you accused the Head of the State Police Concealed Handgun Unit of being unethical. (I'm sure you remember saying, "The way Louisiana should have to instead of having some yahoo in BR sift through your paperwork looking for a reason not to grant you a permit, then keep your money."

I guess the thing that surprises me the most is seeing you posting (again) on this topic. I mean, after all, you are the guy who said, "I've tried to apologize and correct any mistake I may have made here and some douchebags wont let it go. So I'm closing this thread. Too many know it all types here that benefit in some way from this new law. You folks can have you own forum here and man-love each other all you want. I think I will ease over to Texas Forum, seeing that I am going to change my residency. Have a nice day." I guess Texas must have had enough of you and sent you packing back to Louisiana ??

In case you don't remember the foregoing, I guess I'll provide a link to that other thread. Some of the newer members might enjoy reading the irrational rants you posted about the travesty perpetrated against you, with all your incredible credentials and qualifications, by the State of Louisiana. I think it's all here, in this thread that you so eloquently entitled "Pissed." http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?85475-Pissed

Oh -- and in case you change your mind and decide to apply for one of those Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permits, give me a call. I'd love to make an "exorbitant sum of money" off you so you can apply to "that Yahoo in BR" for a permit.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Why a .22?

Does it LOOK like a .22?

I carry a NAA mini in the folding belt holster. Most mistake it for a folding knife. I've never had any issues except for the JP in Home Depot who thought it was "cool".

I plan on getting one in .22 mag soon.

I don't draw much attention to myself, aside from my natural good looks. I don't blade 45 at the sight of a cop. I don't attempt to belittle others for exercising their God given rights. I'm really to old to play those silly childish games.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA

Wow.

I think you are sounding a bit paranoid in how you are justifying your position, sadly and as usual.

And I think you'd be hard pressed to prove your claim.
    Most concealed carry permit holders have had some sort of training.
    What training is required to open carry?

So, for example, in my 27 years of law enforcement I have seen open carriers do the following incredibly stupid things (Note: this list is far from complete):

Mexican/Magnum carry.
    Use an Uncle Mikes nylon snap strap holster.
    Back into another shopper with their weapon (they had no clue there was another person around).
    Use a thigh holster (like a commando?).
    While in an Alexandria restaurant (hmmm, coincidence?) got their weapon caught in their chair as they tried to get up.
    While pumping gas at a Prairieville convenience store remove their weapon from the holster and look down the barrel from the business end.
    Walk around with their hand firmly gripping their grips ala Barney Fife.
    Walking around the Coursey Home Depot with no magazine in their Glock.
    Walking around with the magazine partially ejected from their Glock!
    Wear a shoulder holster with a T-shirt.
    OC a Ruger SINGLE ACTION Blackhawk.
    Had an oc'er in north Louisiana whip out his phone and start filming me as I walked up to him. I just said hello and kept walking because I had no reason to stop and question him.
    (Last time I looked being an idiot wasn't illegal)

I could go on, but I've made my point.

I anxiously await your well reasoned and concise response.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Ahh, people, it's just as much of a tool as a pocketknife or leatherman. Whether you carry open or concealed is your business and should not merit a negative response from other carriers, concealed or open carry.

As far as being a business professional, who trains people who pay you for the class for the CCW permit, Dawg ( wish I had some sort of name), it is highly unprofessional to call out a lot of ex military, law enforcement, and civilians on being trash for their decision on how to defend themselves, in my honest opinion.

Is there some sort of deep rooted anger towards it? Or do you have a Military/LEO background where you were highly trained and proficient in your weapons skills/deep undercover requiring proper concealment? Kind of confused at your high level of resentment towards it, especially the upturned nose towards those with the proper training? Why really did you have to resort to name calling and belittlement? Very unprofessional.

Doc

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Ahh, people, it's just as much of a tool as a pocketknife or leatherman. Whether you carry open or concealed is your business and should not merit a negative response from other carriers, concealed or open carry.

As far as being a business professional, who trains people who pay you for the class for the CCW permit, Dawg ( wish I had some sort of name), it is highly unprofessional to call out a lot of ex military, law enforcement, and civilians on being trash for their decision on how to defend themselves, in my honest opinion.

Is there some sort of deep rooted anger towards it? Or do you have a Military/LEO background where you were highly trained and proficient in your weapons skills/deep undercover requiring proper concealment? Kind of confused at your high level of resentment towards it, especially the upturned nose towards those with the proper training? Why really did you have to resort to name calling and belittlement? Very unprofessional.

Doc

Dear "Doctor"

Please excuse my unprofessional behavior. I do not know what prompted me to post the comments I have posted over the past few days, but I have decided to seek atonement by offering free open carry classes at Louisiana Open Carry Operators (LOCO) Academy to every emotional misfit whom I have offended.

The only impediment to scheduling the classes is my inability (thus far) to recruit a few more exceptionally skilled instructors. Is there a possibility that you would be willing to serve in such a capacity ??

If so, please submit a curriculum vitae at your earliest convenience, along with the appropriate application fee. The Faculty Selection Committee meets every Friday, so the sooner you transmit the material to us, the sooner we have assess your qualifications. Based on your recent posts on this forum, I feel that you will be "in your element" dealing with the sort of folks who enroll in our program.

This profession is not as lucrative as you have no doubt found in the medical field. But it will be far more rewarding emotionally to see the uninitiated attain verification as Open Carry Ninjas. The thrill of teaching them advanced techniques for striking fear in the bosoms of soccer moms, and gaining the adoration of Burger King fry cooks, will be exceed only by the sense of pride you will feel as students are awarded the highly coveted Open Carry Badge at their graduation ceremony.

I look forward to receiving your application.

CenLa Commando

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Alexandria
    Dawg (keyboard warrior) I meant every word I said in that thread and would say it again. Don't you worry about my residency status, its all good now. If I were to instruct anyone, it would be you.on the subject of the constitution and the Bill of Rights and maybe follow up with some respect and humility lessons. No one here wants to hear your constant belittlement of those who want to exercise their rights. Its people like you and some LEO's on this thread that think they should be the only ones that are able to use a firearm. I've seen stupid stuff done by Civilians, Military, LEO..open carry, concealed carry, hunting, working ect. You are going to have idiots do dumb stuff and highly trained do dumb stuff. For you to stereotype the open carrier the way you did is uncalled for. P.S. if you ever took an Oath to defend the constitution , you are breaking it. When you get ready for that lesson, just let me know.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom