Questions for LSP CHP Division

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    <SNIP>
    1. Sgt Reavis is very cool to talk to, and he is DEFINITELY ON OUR SIDE. Extremely knowledgeable about second amendment issues and a strong supporter. His comment when asked why they were so backlogged was," It is like a whole population of people suddenly woke up and realized it was time they needed to get a permit, like it wasn't all along" or something to that effect.

<SNIP>
    ***NOTE*** Sgt Reavis is definitely moving the program in the right direction. I personally look forward to the changes he has in mind. He is working on some of the gaps in the program, most which work directly to our benefit and the issues we have raised here.

Please be patient, because he has his people working as hard as he can. FYI, this conversation went well past 5:00 PM, and I could hear is people leaving in the background and he was still working.

Sounds like a good replacement for SGT. Starnes whom I found to be both knowledgable and helpful.

How many apps does LSP process a year? Multiply that by $100. That's how much they have to run the department. Divide by number of employees, operating costs, building costs, printing costs, etc. It is probably nearly a break even situation.

that's kinda what I was getting at - perhaps I could have phrased it differently, like couldn't they use some help in staffing/funding at least temporarily.

<SNIP>
    4. On the subject of MEM and OC: I was all for MEM until he settled for enough money to buy a motorcycle. If he were serious about fighting for the right to OC then he should have settled for his legal expenses plus $1. And done it openly. Now I see it as he was trying to profit. The rest of the group is doing it for attention.
    <SNIP>

Having talked to Mark about this myself, I can say that, actually, it apparently was mostly a lawyer problem. He had to change lawyers after Katrina, as his original lawyer ran into some trouble of his own in the aftermath in New Orleans (that story is in Gordon Hutchinson's book, BTW); and the second lawyer essentially told Mark that settling was the only solution he would take the case for. If you've ever read any of Mark's pre-settlement posts about his case, you know that he wanted more than a simple solution as punishment for the GPD; so a symbolic award was out of the question. That's as close an understanding as I can gather from what little Mark can publicly say about the case as the settlement contained a non-disclosure clause.

And as for the rest of the OCDO folks only doing it for attention, that's not entirely fair. Founders Mike Stollenwerk and John Pierce have grown into published gun rights writers who are often quoted in the media. There's a public education component to OCing for sure (and in many other states OCDO members have dramatically improved the public image of ALL gun owners - see Michigan and Wisconsin for some recent examples); but I do appreciate your kind words that OC is sometimes a necessity for various valid reasons. We certainly do NOT want to rile up people against right to carry (which is why we always check with the proprietor of whatever restraunt we would like to hold our meet-up first, out of courtesy); but in every group (even BS.com) there are always a few who are, shall we say, somewhat embarrassing to the group.

Bullet

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    New Orleans - Westbank
    If you could ask LA CHP 3 questions about the rules, regs, law, or process, what would they be.

Seriously please.

:)

My question....

An establishment must have a sign that reads "No weapons allowed" if they want to prevent people from CC. Is there any requirement where the sign must be located? Example is Boomtown. There is a sign as you walk in thats way off to the left hanging on the wall that states no weapons allowed. One could only see it if they were looking for the sign and then they might not see it if they were looking on the entrance doors. Its almost like they don't want you to CC, but at the same time they don't want to see it because you might leave without spending your money.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Sounds like a good replacement for SGT. Starnes whom I found to be both knowledgable and helpful.

that's kinda what I was getting at - perhaps I could have phrased it differently, like couldn't they use some help in staffing/funding at least temporarily.

Having talked to Mark about this myself, I can say that, actually, it apparently was mostly a lawyer problem. He had to change lawyers after Katrina, as his original lawyer ran into some trouble of his own in the aftermath in New Orleans (that story is in Gordon Hutchinson's book, BTW); and the second lawyer essentially told Mark that settling was the only solution he would take the case for. If you've ever read any of Mark's pre-settlement posts about his case, you know that he wanted more than a simple solution as punishment for the GPD; so a symbolic award was out of the question. That's as close an understanding as I can gather from what little Mark can publicly say about the case as the settlement contained a non-disclosure clause.

And as for the rest of the OCDO folks only doing it for attention, that's not entirely fair. Founders Mike Stollenwerk and John Pierce have grown into published gun rights writers who are often quoted in the media. There's a public education component to OCing for sure (and in many other states OCDO members have dramatically improved the public image of ALL gun owners - see Michigan and Wisconsin for some recent examples); but I do appreciate your kind words that OC is sometimes a necessity for various valid reasons. We certainly do NOT want to rile up people against right to carry (which is why we always check with the proprietor of whatever restraunt we would like to hold our meet-up first, out of courtesy); but in every group (even BS.com) there are always a few who are, shall we say, somewhat embarrassing to the group.

I agree. Well put.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    My question....

An establishment must have a sign that reads "No weapons allowed" if they want to prevent people from CC. Is there any requirement where the sign must be located? Example is Boomtown. There is a sign as you walk in thats way off to the left hanging on the wall that states no weapons allowed. One could only see it if they were looking for the sign and then they might not see it if they were looking on the entrance doors. Its almost like they don't want you to CC, but at the same time they don't want to see it because you might leave without spending your money.

My father-n-law owns his own business. HE said that the sign would have to be within 12 inches of the door handle or something like that. Either way you either see the sign or you don't. if you didn't and you did look, then they obviously aren't placing the sign correctly. Of course I'm not as knowledgeable about CC restrictions so I'm sure there could be more to know about.

SGT Jensen

OCDO UT State Researcher
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Can Cops not tell the difference between threat levels?

Can you see the difference ?

2004464315.jpg

Well the 2nd picture appears to be in the privacy of someone's home and we have no idea if the first picture is near a school zone so I would say white guy FTW

Enlighten me please. If you saw me carrying like this (this picture is me BTW) and you assumed, or even knew that I was in a "school zone", you would instantly assume that I was a threat? :confused:

All I see in those pictures are threats, of which appear to be firearms. Some lawfully inside of what appears to be a residential bedroom, and another which appear to be lawfully carrying @ a Home Depot? parking lot maybe.

AGAIN? You see someone with a firearm and immediately assume threat? I always knew that the most anti-gun people are in fact gun owners, but sheesh!

And yes, this photo was taken at a Home Depot in Provo, Utah, one year ago for the L.A. Times. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-opencarry7-2008jun07,0,849912.story This particular Home Depot is not located in a "school zone", but in my state that is nearly a moot point.

As you may be aware, Utah is the only State in the Union that includes all public schools in our States firearms preemption law. That means any Joe Schmo with a permit may at his leisure, carry openly or concealed any type of firearm of his choice. And the school may not do anything about it. :)

Sorry for the off-topic first post, but to see somebody peaceably going about their business while armed, and to immediately assume that person to be a threat, is a bit pretentious. Maybe if my shopping bag were holstered, and the GLOCK was in my hand. ;)

Last edited:

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Enlighten me please. If you saw me carrying like this (this picture is me BTW) and you assumed, or even knew that I was in a "school zone", you would instantly assume that I was a threat? :confused:

AGAIN? You see someone with a firearm and immediately assume threat? I always knew that the most anti-gun people are in fact gun owners, but sheesh!

And yes, this photo was taken at a Home Depot in Provo, Utah, one year ago for the L.A. Times. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-opencarry7-2008jun07,0,849912.story This particular Home Depot is not located in a "school zone", but in my state that is nearly a moot point.

As you may be aware, Utah is the only State in the Union that includes all public schools in our States firearms preemption law. That means any Joe Schmo with a permit may at his leisure, carry openly or concealed any type of firearm of his choice. And the school may not do anything about it. :)

Sorry for the off-topic first post, but to see somebody peaceably going about their business while armed, and to immediately assume that person to be a threat, is a bit pretentious. Maybe if my shopping bag were holstered, and the GLOCK was in my hand. ;)

Pretentious? You are profiling based off of appearance other than fact. Just because you look a certain way doesn't mean your friend or foe. All persons these days are a threat unless otherwise known. I do not walk around in fear for my life, but that doesn't mean I tote around a whore on a mattress and let'em **** my sister either.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    All persons these days are a threat unless otherwise known. I do not walk around in fear for my life,QUOTE]

You should if everyone is a threat, right ?

Everyone is a threat until proven otherwise?

IMO that should be the mindset of LEO's when kicking in a door on a raid. Seeing someone on the street, grocery shopping, with their kids at a mall dress like Sgt. jensen above, should not warrant a Terry stop I believe they call it ? Just IMO

Lizardxxx

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Yes. The only exception is that you do not have to do them again for a renewal. Even if you have a Top Secret clearance, TWIC card, your momma goes in and says you are a good boy, they must have the prints. It is also to help them match that the info on the app is the same person requesting the permit.:D

Thanks for the info. :)

Mwill75

Tinfoil Fitted
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    New Orleans Area
    Then you should read the rest of it where LA Carry went on to understand my point of view and the fact that I had legit questions. It was a misunderstanding.

Can Cops not tell the difference between threat levels?

Can you see the difference ?

2004464315.jpg

photo-gallery-bloods.jpg

WHo really rates to be questioned ?

I'd be pissed off if I was the camera man. "mothaf***** just because your posturing doesn't mean you can forget your firearm safety rules!!"

And for the record their pants are pretty unbaggy.

And I don't trust that white guy...I mean, what's he got to hide in that bag? T ERRORISM, that's what

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    He is coming out of a home depot, probably lots of electronics for bomb building in there :)

Nolacop, can you bring up the CHP vs CWP issue? It'd be nice to be able to legally carry a knife! I mean if I can CCW an AR pistol or a Judge... a knife seems pretty harmless!

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    He is coming out of a home depot, probably lots of electronics for bomb building in there :)

Nolacop, can you bring up the CHP vs CWP issue? It'd be nice to be able to legally carry a knife! I mean if I can CCW an AR pistol or a Judge... a knife seems pretty harmless!

I will bring it up, but that is more of a legislative issue and a little out of the purvue and control of LSP. They can make reccomendations, but witht he current political climate, I do not see a law that would allow the carrying of concealed machetes, shotguns, SBR's silencers, etc. to fly very far, but i will bring it up.

:D

Sasquatch

Lurking
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge

We were asked which was more of a threat. The poster was trying to race-bait which shouldn't fly. Pretty cool about the Utah/school law. Thanks for the info :cool:

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    You may not get the answers you like but as far as I know the law makes no provision for blissful ignorance.

All I would add is that it is called CONCEALED carry for a reason, take it as you will....

-James.

Top Bottom