Recommendations for dSLR camera for a beginner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Get an older body without all the bells and whistles and a prime (non zooming lens). A Canon 20D and the Canon 50mm 1.8 would be good for a very small budget (under $400). For a slightly bigger budget get an original Canon 5D Mark I and a Canon 50mm 1.4. Would be about $900.

Set the camera and lens to manual mode and force yourself to learn to focus and set the exposure by hand.

The 50mm 1.8 is a great lens for the money. On got mine on his recommendation as well. Takes much crisper images than the 18-55 that came with my camera.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I shoot a 5D Mark II with Battery Grip, 24-70L, 50 1.8 Mark I, 85 1.8, and a Sigma 15-30mm, and a 580ex2 flash.

Get a cheap body. Nikon or Canon and grab the corresponding 50 1.8 and 85 1.8.

BE AWARE that some Nikon bodies will not work with the 50 1.8 or maybe even the 85 1.8.

http://www.nikonians.org/reviews?alias=nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility

Canon has no such issues

Remember, cheap body, 2 primes, a ttl flash, and a tripod.

LabRat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have a D60 and D90 and love them both. My only advice is to stay away from the older Nikon bodies that don't have the internal autofocus motor. My D60 doesn't have it and I have to manually focus a few of my lenses, which has caused me to miss a few opportunities.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have a D60 and D90 and love them both. My only advice is to stay away from the older Nikon bodies that don't have the internal autofocus motor. My D60 doesn't have it and I have to manually focus a few of my lenses, which has caused me to miss a few opportunities.

That's not necessarily older, just cheaper. The entry level D40/60 and the current D3000/5000 series don't have internal motors. My D80 and D7000 both do.

Helmsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Entry level DSLRs are all about the same regardless of the manufacturer so I'd suggest getting the one that better fits your hand. The used mid-level with cheap prime is another good option. My own preference is Canon but there are great cameras and lenses from Nikon and Sony. However lenses are much more important as difference in picture starts there.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    If y'all aren't douches ill add you to some amateur Facebook photo groups that shoot stuff and learn together.

I'm not a douche...just an a$$hole...is that ok? :D

Ok...I'm learning here...and correct me if I'm wrong: The body of the camera isn't so much as important as the lenses, correct? Also, concerning lens compatibility, if I buy a Nikon, am I limited to Nikon lenses only or are some brands cross-compatible? Also, what are considered "must-have" lenses for a beginner for basic photography?

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not a douche...just an a$$hole...is that ok? :D

Ok...I'm learning here...and correct me if I'm wrong: The body of the camera isn't so much as important as the lenses, correct? Also, concerning lens compatibility, if I buy a Nikon, am I limited to Nikon lenses only or are some brands cross-compatible? Also, what are considered "must-have" lenses for a beginner for basic photography?

Unless you're shooting professional sports and need a fast frame rate or plan on printing bill board anything about 6-8MP is sufficient IMO. You're limited to Nikon lenses or third party lenses built for Nikon's mount (Sigma, Tokina, Tamron etc). The kit lens would be sufficient for most of what you do in the beginning, and you would want a fast prime for low light. Something equiv. to a 1.8 50mm on full frame. Nikon's entry level dSLR's don't have full size sensors (they are expensive) so they have a crop factor of 1.5x. Meaning a 35mm lens on nikon's smaller senser (DX) is actually equivalent to 52.5mm on full frame (FX). In other words I recommend the 35mm 1.8. It's about $200 on amazon. I love mine.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/crop-factor.htm

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Chad's right. A decent body is important, but the glass is what matters. I know more people who invest in glass more than bodies because glass holds its value.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Spend a little time reading a few of Ken Rockwell's articles (www.kenrockwell.com). He is... shall we say "opinionated"... But some very good info there about compatibility and what's really important. Like guns or anything else, you really want to define what you want to do as that will help you decide on which lenses are best.

Helmsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    In the DSLR world lenses are usually more important. But as in every craft you choose a tool for a job. A "standard" walk around kit is something in 18-55mm and 55-250/300mm range. Usually such lenses give quite a lousy picture but they're cheap and would give the idea how thing work.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Unless you're shooting professional sports and need a fast frame rate or plan on printing bill board anything about 6-8MP is sufficient IMO. You're limited to Nikon lenses or third party lenses built for Nikon's mount (Sigma, Tokina, Tamron etc). The kit lens would be sufficient for most of what you do in the beginning, and you would want a fast prime for low light. Something equiv. to a 1.8 50mm on full frame. Nikon's entry level dSLR's don't have full size sensors (they are expensive) so they have a crop factor of 1.5x. Meaning a 35mm lens on nikon's smaller senser (DX) is actually equivalent to 52.5mm on full frame (FX). In other words I recommend the 35mm 1.8. It's about $200 on amazon. I love mine.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/crop-factor.htm

Spend a little time reading a few of Ken Rockwell's articles (www.kenrockwell.com). He is... shall we say "opinionated"... But some very good info there about compatibility and what's really important. Like guns or anything else, you really want to define what you want to do as that will help you decide on which lenses are best.

Looks like I got a reading assignment for tonight! :D

Thanks again, everyone! The help is much appreciated!

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    In the DSLR world lenses are usually more important. But as in every craft you choose a tool for a job. A "standard" walk around kit is something in 18-55mm and 55-250/300mm range. Usually such lenses give quite a lousy picture but they're cheap and would give the idea how thing work.

With good lighting the newer 18-55 and 55-200 Nikon VR lenses actually take some great photos for $100 lenses.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've got an XTi that I bought when they first came out. I've never learned how to use it, so I just don't. Has 2 batteries, bag, standard lens, and some filters and other little misc. items. I'll give you a great deal on it. I've played with it a few times, and made it take some great pictures, but I prefer to just turn it on and shoot.

Top Bottom