Recommendations on Gun for Granny?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    My mother has decided to finally get a gun.

She needs something light and she's thinking pistol. It will be mainly home defense (more last resort for her) and maybe car defense as she gets more comfortable. Doubt it will be concealed carried but it still needs to be light.

I have talked to her a bit about the fact that a little weight can reduce recoil...

It also needs to be "EASY" to operate.

I am thinking .22LR pistol of some kind? I've never fired a pistol less than 9mm so this is totally new territory to me...

I think a revolver might be best. (I don't think she could charge any of my autoloaders, then again nothing smaller than 9mm).

When I tried to talk caliber, she said " just something enough to knock their peckers off" :rofl:
    So, light, easy to operate, reasonable trigger for a poor old ladies hands, oh, and I'd like to have it by November 2nd if possible... :mamoru:

All serious suggestions greatly appreciated.

-Neal

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Lightweight AR.

It's easier to shoot, provides superior ballistics, easy to learn, and 30 rounds in the mag.

Skip the .22 for HD

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    How about a revolver like a S&W 642-2 Airweight in .38 Special? Sent you a PM about one I'm intending to sell.

Are you above 50 years old, work in a gun store or hang out in one all day drinking coffee? ;)

rn_Don_Davis.jpg

Seriously, probably one of the worst guns for someone he described.

Hard to shoot, low capacity, generally poor sights, relatively high recoil...

Maybe something like a Glock 19, or MP 9mm compact

If money is an issue, I would even think one of the Bersa's in 9mm or even .380, if recoil becomes a problem.

If you are looking into very light calibers like .22LR... then I would go with 22MAG like a PMR30 or something, but unless she has physical limitations, she should be able to handle a G19 sized 9mm

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Ruger LCR in 38 Special

This.........

I carry it every day...weights 16 oz total loaded with 38 +p ammo

Great trigger, No snag, no drag

It is guaranteed to knock off not only their peckers but so so much more:}

Seriously, I truly enjoy mine!

Check it out..

ctfjzdhk4mwywo1csox6.jpg

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I do not know the first thing about an AR, never owned or shot one, but I felt a carbine in 9mm was best option for my fiance after purchasing/shooting ,so I dont disagree with an AR/carbine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Whatever you do, don't get her a lightweight revolver! Talk about control issues. I find new shooters respond well to AR15's and full size handguns much better than anything else.

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    Lightweight AR.

It's easier to shoot, provides superior ballistics, easy to learn, and 30 rounds in the mag.

Skip the .22 for HD

I'm guessing your granny is in better shape than most. No offense, but this suggestion is pretty dumb in my opinion. I think I mentioned hand strength being an issue... TWICE. Ease of operation is another big issue.

Single shot 20 guage? Not sure if she could handle the recoil? Might be too heavy?

AR? geddafugoutahere... lol

-Neal

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    Whatever you do, don't get her a lightweight revolver! Talk about control issues. I find new shooters respond well to AR15's and full size handguns much better than anything else.

lightweight 38 I can see having control issues... .22LR? I have no idea. Do they make any good ones? Doesn't anyone make a like a reliable, sturdy, 10 shot 22LR that's light? Maybe 8 shot?

Can we PLEASE stop all talk of AR's in this thread? Pretty please? With sugar on top? I don't know what else to say but hell no?

-Neal

geauxbubba

"No Comment"
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Lacombe
    Someone at work was telling me about a 70 year old lady that just got a Judge! She will not like it when or if she shoots it. As far as Granny, get her a Pink Walther P22 or a pink taurus PT22.

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    guys, I'm not sure if she could handle 9mm. (Maybe, not sure). Let's consider 9mm the largest possible, but rather look at things smaller.

I KNOW she couldn't charge any of my Glocks though.... Please keep that in mind.

On another Forum Walter PK380 and .22 were recomended. Any thoughts on those?

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I'm not an expert by any means, but my mom has the same requirements as described so we set her up with a .410 pump loaded with slugs. I have no doubts she can "knock a pecker off" with it. 22 mag revolver is another good, effective option.

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    Arminius .32 S&W long 7 shot and let her go.

Are those Da/ SA? I like this suggetion the most so far. Oddball caliber to me though... I can totally see her cocking it with her left thumb/ hand to shoot it SA style. More so than I can see her learning to shoot an autoloader.

My only wheelgun is a S&W model 29 .44 Magnum so I don't know a lot about tiny ones... lol Any more wheelgun suggestions? Small caliber wheelgun suggestions. Preferably NOT DAO wheel guns. And I prefer exposed hammer... She won't be concealed carrying...

Thanks again,
    -Neal

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I almost recommend a 410 pump 20" barrel and buckshot for the home as well as the Arminius .32 for on the go, but decided to just suggest the revolver. Now I guess the short stroking a shotgun bashing shall begin.
    Just get her some time and practice with whatever is chosen.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    guys, I'm not sure if she could handle 9mm. (Maybe, not sure). Let's consider 9mm the largest possible, but rather look at things smaller.

Standard 9mm Federal 124 gr: 364 ft. lbs. muzzle energy / 1150 FPS

Standard .38 Federal 125 gr: 191 ft. lbs. / 830 FPS

Therefore, a standard .38 (not +P) in a steel framed (perhaps not an Airweight, though we're not talkin' about a 500 round range session here) short barrel revolver should have much less recoil and be easier to handle than a 9mm (not +P)...just saying ;)

Simpler to operate as well, and I'm not even a revolver fan :chuckles:

Top Bottom