Recommendations on Gun for Granny?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    One could argue that, but one would be wrong in my opinion. Let's assume that if granny ever has to use these few revolver shots as a last resort, that there won't BE a reload. She can't look at a glock type stryker fired gun and even know if it's ready to go. (One reason I hate them myself.) Then she'll have trouble charging an autoloader (even a P22) Then add pressure of the situation? Forget it...
    How about you leave it with a round chambered and let her know its ALWAYS ready to go?

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    I can't agree with the suggestions for a pump shotgun here. Without a lot of training with a pump gun there is a lot of tendency to short stroke it which renders the gun useless except as a club in the heat of the moment. I'd much rather lean into a reliable 20 ga semi than a pump gun for an inexperienced shooter. When it comes to the handgun side of things I'd rather see a full size 9mm of some sorts than a revolver just due to the fact that a already loaded glock will not require manipulation just the same as a revolver. Then you get into the jamming side of things and there is way too much information out there to even start the discussion since it usually turns into a pissing match anyway. I will say that for a long time my wife was only comfortable with her mark III target and when loaded with stingers I had no doubt on reliability and effectiveness.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    This is a difficult question. Will she limp wrist a semiauto and jam it? Little revolvers kick and are hard to shoot well. People that have them put them in a draw and never use them because they are no fun. A .410 pump might be a good choice but it depends on her physical condition- I've known 65 year olds that can barely move around the house, yet I know of a 90 year old that just retired from teaching tennis. Same thing goes for an M1 carbine or Keltec Sub2000.
    Two other thoughts. What about a beretta tomcat with the tip up barrel. Second thought, a good ruger or beretta .22 target pistol. The PMR-30 would be a good choice if it fits her hand (it has a long reach to the trigger IIRC).

I guess my best suggestion is get her to the range. A good sized dog and a alarm system are great suggestions, along with good well armed neighbors.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If she has trouble operating a full sized revolver, how is she going to operate a semi-auto?

She's gonna have trouble operating either. The question is, which would she SHOOT better. If both are loaded and ready to rock, would you say the odds are better with a 5-shot .38 with a heavy DA trigger or a much easier to shoot 15-20 shot 9mm? If either runs out of ammo, an auto is easier to reload. If either malfunctions...screwed either way.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Does she have an alarm? Guns are not for everybody... Sometimes they can be the weapon that gets turned on them. Just saying.

I would love to see my mother have a pistol and be proficient with it, but she's not.. So she doesn't have one... I would hate to introduce a deadly weapon into a bad situation where the intended victim can not maintain control of said weapon.

If the person you are trying to arm for protection can't handle a firearm with good results they may be better of without one..

Get the best pepper spray, or even a good taser.. They do work!

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I'll chime in.

IMHO a revolver is the superior option. I would suggest a .22 mag S&W revolver. A .32 would be a good choice, so long as you don't load it up with magnum ammunition. I would stay away from .22lr as an option, though I have no doubt it can be effective. I carry a .22lr revolver every day.

A .38 with some light target loads would be a fine choice too. Just remember, the larger the caliber, the heavier the firearm should be.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Or better yet, a good dog

This is basically what I was about to say. We are all gun guys here. Gun guys choose guns. I could not imagine my grandmother (when she was alive) shooting anything that would be considered a "man stopper" without hurting herself in the process.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    I am going to chime in because at age 68 I have had many opportuities to shoot with women that were old enough to be grandmothers. Let her try different guns so she can decide what she likes. If she likes it she will practice with it. That being said, the last lady that I met that was looking for a carry gun, wanted to try my Beretta 21 A. She ordered one for herself after shooting mine. Dave

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    Pay attention to the extractor if it's not flush with the frame the Glock is ready to fire.

"What's an extractor?"
    -My mom

I appreciate the few helpful comments in this thread. To those of you think charging a glock for mom and leaving it with her is a good idea, that just sounds like a way for my mom to shoot herself with a firearm she has no experience with to me. At least you stopped suggesting ARs... lol

Waiting on feedback from my brother, but going to look strong for a DA/ SA in 22 mag, .32 long, or maybe .22lr or last choice .38

My mom was born in the 1930's. She understands how a revolver works. There won't be such a learning curve. Those of you who keep harping on revolvers being too small, light, are oblivious to the fact I want to keep the caliber small. 357? I would agree with your comments. Also, no matter the gun I don't expect her to perform quick, accurate follow up shots. Or any tactical TV police woman reloads... (probably not any reloads...)

If I buy her a 32long and it hurts her hand when she shoots it, I'll apologize. I think we'll be ok though.

Thanks again,
    -Neal

PS she has 3 dogs in the house right now. One trusted neighbor is still across the street. Of course, I'm in Afghanistan, and her other three living sons are in Texas...

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    If it were me (and I didn't have anything already that she might be interested in), I'd strongly consider taking Mom to a range that rents pistols and let her run some rounds through a few different models to see what she's the most comfortable with.....

If it's for self defense, I'd start with a 9 x 19 & see what she thinks.

Just my unsolicited .02 :thumbsup:

EDIT: Whoops- sorry, man.... Just saw your last part of your post. That's a little more complicated than I first thought.....:hs:

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    "What's an extractor?"
    -My mom

I appreciate the few helpful comments in this thread. To those of you think charging a glock for mom and leaving it with her is a good idea, that just sounds like a way for my mom to shoot herself with a firearm she has no experience with to me. At least you stopped suggesting ARs... lol
    If you cant trust her with a gun, why are you getting her a gun? If you cant depend on her to not shoot something on accident, she shouldn't have a gun.

cowdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    I am going to chime in because at age 68 I have had many opportuities to shoot with women that were old enough to be grandmothers. Let her try different guns so she can decide what she likes. If she likes it she will practice with it. That being said, the last lady that I met that was looking for a carry gun, wanted to try my Beretta 21 A. She ordered one for herself after shooting mine. Dave

this; along with what LACamper and oleheat posted also.

it depends on your mother's abilities and mindset.
    My mother couldn't rack any semi's slide no matter how hard she tried. And a semi just blew her mind on being "complicated".
    She was more comfortable with a revolver, than anything else.
    Your mother needs to check out the gun options and see what she likes and is comfortable with (and not get overwhelmed while trying to figure it out). And/or what accessories can make it work better for her.
    And if funds allow, add a laser sight to it. It'll boost her confidence.

Let her shoot .22 Mag; she probably won't want to go that route (very loud).
    And I'd be worried about her limp wristing a semi and it jamming.
    My mother probably would have liked the Model 10 with laser sights; but that's how she would have rolled. ;)

Thanks for your service.
    Your brothers need to step up, and make this happen for your mother. A group effort should make this easy.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    My mom is 62. She shoots a lady's smith and loves it. She's in great shape and works on a farm all day.

Many of my older female students bring snub revolvers to my class and flat out cant shoot them. They have vicious recoil and the older folks have a LOT of trouble picking up the sights. A 4" .38 stainless revolver is a decent choice. It's heavy, but that's good. The sights are Much better and the recoil impulse is lower.

An auto is the best option but a lot of the mature folk simply refuse to learn how to use them and get around the hand/ arm strength issue.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Not sure the perfect pistol exists for her. But, the way you're describing her abilities/limitations, are you sure a firearm is the right choice, anyway? You make it sound as if she would be just as likely to injure herself as the bad guy. And what are her chances if it comes a gunfight.

I'm wondering if a really good OC spray setup might serve the goal, while avoiding all the objections you have stated.

Top Bottom