Researching a high energy hog rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    To me, it sounds like the AR platform for hi-cap mags and the red dot for quick acquisition is the way to go. I'd stick with the .300BO before you buy a new upper. I'm with ya on not being a big AR guy, but I got my wife a PSA .300BO and I really like. May have to go field test it for her. If you just plain don't like the red dot, then only get a 1-4x scope for what you are talking about doing.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Ballistics for .300 BLK are not impressive, even for supersonic. But then we go back to paper research vs. field performance.
    http://www.ballistics101.com/300aac_blackout.php

If E=1/2M(V^2), then Velocity is the primary focus, as we've discussed, for greater Energy. So I'd look for a smaller grain bullet. But as previously discussed (.22 magnum vs. 38 Special +P), Mass has a lot to do with hunting performance eve if Velocity is compromised somewhat. Get a good HP or similar hunting round to help ensure as much energy stays in the beast as possible and we're possibly on to something.

So, specifically, which .300 BLK supersonic rounds would you recommend for hogging?

http://ammoseek.com has .300 BLK rounds in the 50-cent each range which is not bad at all.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Decided against the .300 BLK supersonic. AR format just isn't what I'm looking for. Played with a friend's .300 Win Mag AR the other day and it could chop trees down but forget to put earplugs in and your ears are ringing for a day. And a 14# rifle isn't what I want to go stalking with for hours and miles.

buckedup & bayoupirate were right... If I love the .444 stick with it. Found a nice .444 lever action Marlin. Five round capacity is perfect.
    marlin_308mxlr3.jpg
    [/url][/IMG]

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    14 lbs? LOL

You can build one well under that, but to each his own. If you want lightweight and effective, 300BLK is the way to go.

Top Bottom