reserve police?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    considering working a second job on my weeks off.

was curious how to go about going into the police as a reserve officer and if the schedule would be flexible enough to allow me to keep my current 7 on-7 off job

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I thought reserves were a volunteer position?

They are but you still have shifts to report too and must maintain a certain number of hours per week. sometimes you can just call to see if they need/want you to come in other places you have assigned shifts.
    I don't have first hand experience but a friend of mine did it through Port Vincent for a while while he was trying to decide what he wanted to do.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I thought reserves were a volunteer position?

I looked into it. They only financial benefit is training, gear discounts, etc.
    However, I think it would be a great "transition" tool to get into LE. I considered doing it myself except the next class in my area for Bossier PD is a long ways out, lasts 6 months or something, and I'm moving in 9-12 months, so it would really be pointless and kindof a dick move, imo.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    what about volunteering for details?

I thought that could be a source of additional income

It might be like that with some departments. I know that my brother used to be a West Baton Rouge reserve deputy and had to ride along with a full timer a certain amount of time a month for no pay just to hold on to his reserve commission.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    It might be like that with some departments. I know that my brother used to be a West Baton Rouge reserve deputy and had to ride along with a full timer a certain amount of time a month for no pay just to hold on to his reserve commission.

With BPD, it's 12 hours a month, I believe. After 100-120hrs (I forget), you get your own car.

BlueLineIPSC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Slidell
    As stated above, it depends on the department. Nationally Accredited departments will require you to go through POST. Reserve academies are typically 6 months long. After graduation you will be required to go through FTO (probably another 6 months). So after a year, depending on the department, you may be eligible to work details and get that extra income you're looking for.

With the economy the way it was a lot of guys were going through reserve academies and then going full-time once they were POST certified. I know in my department the last reserve that was "hired" was 1 out of 25 or so interviewed.

Slidell has an academy that trains something like 20 or so other agencies. The last I heard they won't be holding another night academy for quite some time. I think they train Mandeville, Covington, Causeway, Pearl River. Some of those agencies may not require POST for their reserves. Inquire within the department. Maybe try STPSO they have their own academy now.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    are you required to stay at the academy during your time there? I guess it would make sense that the training schedule would require it.

I may not be able to do so due to my work schedule, staying 2 hours away from mandeville for a week at a time in galliano.

BlueLineIPSC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Slidell
    If he's volunteering his time to be a reserve what's wrong with picking up some details for additional income?

15-20 hours a month of VOLUNTEER work (unpaid) I think constitutes picking up a couple of paid details a month. Am I wrong?

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    One department that I'm familiar with only require as little as 16 hours a month to qualify to work paid details and you work when you want as long as you want while volunteering. No requirements to work an entire 12 hour shift, or work certain days.

Last edited:

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    Simple point.

Ask any full time cop what they think of reserves. Ask how many reserves are worth a crap or would be as full time Leo. Or not

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom