reserve police?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    The problem I have with the reserve program is that a lot of the ones at my department joined just for the coolness factor. Police officers that are full time do not do it because it cool and def do not do it for the pay. The reserves that we had would not work in high crime areas but would all want to work in LSU. Im sure its different with smaller departments and with larger departments.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    The problem I have with the reserve program is that a lot of the ones at my department joined just for the coolness factor. Police officers that are full time do not do it because it cool and def do not do it for the pay. The reserves that we had would not work in high crime areas but would all want to work in LSU. Im sure its different with smaller departments and with larger departments.
    so they have mall ninja reserves too????

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    Bottom line is Mr. Wilson, its a lot of fun if its something you truly want to do. Not ONLY for the extra money. The ONLY reason I don't go full time is the pay. It's no where near what most deserve to be paid.
    not the only reason. would like a foot in the door and the option to potentially expand it into a career as well

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    As far as reserves not wanting to put themselves into certain situations, I have seen it. But I'm not quite so sure the reasons are the same for every individual involved.

I'm sure that some did not want to be the primary unit in the event something went bad was due to the fact that A) They did not feel confident in their abilities to handle the situation in the proper manner or B) They didn't want to get themselves hurt or injured basically for nothing, since they aren't being paid or covered by workmans comp or insurance of any sort.

Most of the reserves I have been involved with had absolutely no issue being the backup unit.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    As far as reserves not wanting to put themselves into certain situations, I have seen it. But I'm not quite so sure the reasons are the same for every individual involved.

I'm sure that some did not want to be the primary unit in the event something went bad was due to the fact that A) They did not feel confident in their abilities to handle the situation in the proper manner or B) They didn't want to get themselves hurt or injured basically for nothing, since they aren't being paid or covered by workmans comp or insurance of any sort.

Most of the reserves I have been involved with had absolutely no issue being the backup unit.
    I wouldnt have an issue either, why wear a uniform just to become a lack of manpower when you are needed most?

that's garbage

Last edited:

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    I wouldnt have an issue either, why wear a uniform just to become a lack of manpower when you are needed most?

that's garbage

Of course it's garbage. Which is why they have little respect.

Reserves love to kick off stuff then ' my mom is calling' and go home and leave it for full timers.

If you do it, it's like any other job... Run with losers, get called a loser....

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    It's been said throughout, but to reiterate; You will not earn an extra income as a reserve. I started as a reserve in a department where the reserves were provided with all equipment, training, and more details than the full-timers wanted. I did that for a bit during college because I wanted to see what being a cop would be like before I made the full commitment.

I made some money on some details, however even our policy was that you had to volunteer at least the number of hours you were paid each month, so you cut your money in half. Bare in mind that the approximate 12 months of training there's no way to make money and that's time you could work overtime at a paid job. From what I've heard most other departments require you to buy your own equipment as well. Add in all of the volunteer hours you'll do because they ask for it, and there's no way that being a reserve officer is an option for extra income, especially short term.

Now, if you want to do it for other reasons, go for it. It got my foot in the door, it gave me good training when I was younger and it was a great experience. There were two types of reserves when I went through. Those that did it and loved it, those that did it and don't care. Anyone else quit before training was over. Those that love it end up going full-time or are in jobs where they make double the money of a police officer and have family's to support, but still work as much as they can and don't shy away from the work. Those that seem to not care will dodge every report call, not go to hot calls, avoid certain parts of town, and basically just want to get out of the house for the night in a police car. Most of them quit because others gave them enough crap.

Do it because you want to, or you want to try it. Quit if you end up not liking it or can't handle it. Do not expect or seek an income as a reserve officer.

BTW, last I heard at the department was that they took paid details from the reserves completely; Those that didn't quit refuse to do anything other provide a presence at events when asked, some will go out as backup units at times to get their monthly hours. (Another lesson, things are always changing).

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    The reserves that we had would not work in high crime areas but would all want to work in LSU. Im sure its different with smaller departments and with larger departments.

This is a leadership/administration problem. Reserves need to be told where and when they will work (within their schedule). If they are just allowed to pick where they want to work, then of course they're going to stick to the easy areas. They can either follow command or GTFO.

As far as details, again, this is a leadership/administration issue.

If there are enough full time paid officers available that WANT to handle paid details, then there should be no reserves getting those details. However, if there are an over abundance of paid details available and not enough full time officers to cover them, then I could see allowing reserves to handle the overflow.

You know as well as I do that in many departments, details are "clique" based. If you're in the clique, you get the cherry details. Those who aren't in the clique get the left overs or don't get asked. Also, if you turn down details on a regular basis, you simply won't get called anymore.

Many full time officers don't WANT extra duty. Most recognize that if you want to make a decent living being a police officer, OT and extra duty details are where you make your money.

Last edited:

BlueLineIPSC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Slidell
    I don't know what agency you fellas work for, but it sounds like y'all don't like/appreciate the reserves at all.

The reasons I am a reserve:

1. An opportunity to get out and get involved with the community that I grew up in.
    2. Our city council is continuously cutting into the PD's budget leaving fewer quality officers on the road.
    3. Gives me something to do other than sit around the house and drink a beer.
    4. I have a really good time doing it.

So the next time one of you guys goes 108 and a reserve is the first one there to have your back maybe reevaluate your attitude towards them. I'm certainly not there to take money out of your family's pocket.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I don't know what agency you fellas work for, but it sounds like y'all don't like/appreciate the reserves at all.

1. An opportunity to get out and get involved with the community that I grew up in.
    2. Our city council is continuously cutting into the PD's budget leaving fewer quality officers on the road.

So the next time one of you guys goes 108 and a reserve is the first one there to have your back maybe reevaluate your attitude towards them. I'm certainly not there to take money out of your family's pocket.

I support the reserves. In most smaller departments, with smaller budgets, reserves serve a key position allowing the department to have a more effective police force for the citizens of their town.

When you get into your larger departments, (which most of these guys here are speaking of), they become less of a necessity and more of a position of vanity. (Getting to go out and play policeman and get some of the perks without having to be a low paid civil servant.)

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I support the reserves. In most smaller departments, with smaller budgets, reserves serve a key position allowing the department to have a more effective police force for the citizens of their town.

When you get into your larger departments, (which most of these guys here are speaking of), they become less of a necessity and more of a position of vanity. (Getting to go out and play policeman and get some of the perks without having to be a low paid civil servant.)

Port Vincent really appreciates reserves most of the time.
    I know Gonzales PD has had two guys I went to high school reserve for a year before they decided it wasn't for them.

Nothing wrong with the program. I wanted to do it for the longest time. But not because I was compensated financially.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I'd be willing to bet that proportionally the numbers are equal as far as the full-timers and reservists that kinda sit back and shy away from the hot calls.

I'm not the guy out there looking to put in my minimum 20 hours and take money out of the full-timers hands. I'll take details if it's going to help a guy out, but that's about it.

P.s. Hot calls... I'm all in!

Do reserves at your agency write reports?

JR1572

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I think we employ somewhere around 100 or so.

"Holster sniffers" refers to women that date cops. Maybe i'm wrong.

I don't understand the church reference at all.

"Holster sniffers" is also a reference to wanna be cops. There are more than a few that are members in this site.

There's more to being the police than a blue line sticker on your pov, a blue line 550 cord bracelet and calling other police "brother".

JR1572

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Small departments are different than large departments. I'm sure small town LE appreciates the back up. What is a108?

MOTOR51

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    I've never had a reserve save my ass from anything.

And I'm still waiting for a FULL TIME Leo to say they like reserves. So far one reserve who is full time likes them

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I've never had a reserve save my ass from anything.

And I'm still waiting for a FULL TIME Leo to say they like reserves. So far one reserve who is full time likes them

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

I've never been saved by a reserve. I know a few reserves that are good to go. 98% of the ones that i consider good to go are former full time guys who got out because of financial reasons.

JR1572

Last edited:
    Top Bottom