Running for Beauegard Parish Assessor.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    i agree with the political stand point, but im not aware that we even need a parish assesor... shouldn't the private market dictate property value?

It does, but only every time a property changes hands. You are taxed on a much more frequent basis.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    huh? when i buy a house, the lending institution sends an appraiser out to give an assessment on the home. property taxes derive from that minus any Homestead Exemption... where does the assesor's job fall into that?

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    huh? when i buy a house, the lending institution sends an appraiser out to give an assessment on the home. property taxes derive from that minus any Homestead Exemption... where does the assesor's job fall into that?

Property taxes derive from the home's assessed value, not its appraised market value. The assessed value is often substantiated by an appraisal, but they are separate values.

This may be a good resource.
    http://www.latax.state.la.us/Menu_FAQ/FAQ.aspx

However, I am not an attorney and none of what I say is or should be construed as tax advice :)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

Market values fluctuate constantly. Your taxes are calculated based on your home's value, not what you paid for it 2, 5 or 20 years ago.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    I believe you have to attend schooling for tax assessor after which you take an oath to make sure the Parish gets it's fair share of TAXES. As for not proceeding with fore closure on unpaid taxes ,I think you would be breaking a law from the oath you take. Good luck, I understand your platform but don't believe it will be accepted by the sheriffs office.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Still not really clear on the assessed value vs appraised value. They should be the same (well 10%...). Maybe if the assessed value was used we wouldn't be in the financial mess we are in now. People would have been less willing to do refinances if their assessment would have gone up. We might not have had as many people doing 125% loans a few years back, and the assessors wouldn't have been artifically inflating values to keep the lenders happy.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    Property taxes derive from the home's assessed value, not its appraised market value. The assessed value is often substantiated by an appraisal, but they are separate values.

This may be a good resource.
    http://www.latax.state.la.us/Menu_FAQ/FAQ.aspx

However, I am not an attorney and none of what I say is or should be construed as tax advice :)

How is Your Property Assessed?
    To find the value of any piece of property the assessor must first know:
    ------ the selling price of similar properties
    ------ the cost to replace it today
    ------ how much it takes to operate and keep it in repair
    ------ what rent it may earn
    ------ and many other economic factors affecting its value, such as the current rate of interest charged for borrowing the money to buy or build similar properties.

seems like they just make up a price and say: "Here, you owe us this amount." i don't see a need for parishes to collect on property taxes..

Last edited:

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    §105. Constitutional Principles in Determination of Fair Market Value and Use of Reappraisal
    A. The Louisiana Constitution establishes the basic principle in the following cases but, each case requires statutory clarification:
    1. Fair market value shall be determined in accordance with criteria which shall be established by law and which shall apply uniformly throughout the state.
    2. All property subject to taxation shall be reappraised and valued at intervals of not more than four years. <- yea right, lol
    B. These are the constitutional principles upon which property taxation is based in the State of Louisiana.

B. Personal property, as defined in R.S. 47:2322, shall be reappraised and reassessed every year. LOL
    C. Incorporeal real or immovable property, as defined in R.S. 47:2322 and R.S. 47:1702, shall be reappraised and reassessed at least every four years.

i just read the whole state law on property taxation and i didn't see where it was manditory for a parish to collect property taxes...

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    seems like they just make up a price and say: "Here, you owe us this amount." i don't see a need for parishes to collect on property taxes..

It definitely does seem like that sometimes :D

But parishes will always collect taxes so long as there are parishes and other similar municipalities in existence, and barring some sort of Louisiana constitutional amendment.

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    Ok here is how it works. I will assess taxes. That is the job and it must be done. I will however not notify the sheriff of any rates that people owe. If they do not pay the correct amount, the sheriff will have no idea. There is no getting around that the property tax revenue will be lower but that's up to the police jury to handle. I assume they would try and pass a higher sales tax, or they could just make cuts to fill in the difference. No matter what happens, the people would have more chooses on taxes. I think it's great if they want to pay taxes, I'll still send out bills. But if your property tax is more than you can pay, or perhaps you don't think you are getting anything out of it then you have a choose, and yes it is legal as of now. I can't say they would not change the law.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Ok here is how it works. I will assess taxes. That is the job and it must be done. I will however not notify the sheriff of any rates that people owe. If they do not pay the correct amount, the sheriff will have no idea. There is no getting around that the property tax revenue will be lower but that's up to the police jury to handle. I assume they would try and pass a higher sales tax, or they could just make cuts to fill in the difference. No matter what happens, the people would have more chooses on taxes. I think it's great if they want to pay taxes, I'll still send out bills. But if your property tax is more than you can pay, or perhaps you don't think you are getting anything out of it then you have a choose, and yes it is legal as of now. I can't say they would not change the law.

Snacks.gif

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    For you naysayers, this is just the kind of batshit thinking we need to shake up this mentality of "just tax people more when the municipality overspends." There will never be less money taken/stolen from those able to be bled more for another penny here and another penny there; unless you have absolute push back or chaos. How in the hell is any government going to keep bleeding the tax base if the tax base finally stands up and says, F you! You aren't getting anymore of my money until YOU reform your ways. Cut waste! Cut spending! Reduce overhead! Trim the fat! Just like I have to in my business!

Instead of talking him out of this, encourage him to succeed. If he turns out to be another scumbag politician, then so be it. But the same old crap is not going to cut it.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    For you naysayers, this is just the kind of batshit thinking we need to shake up this mentality of "just tax people more when the municipality overspends." There will never be less money taken/stolen from those able to be bled more for another penny here and another penny there; unless you have absolute push back or chaos. How in the hell is any government going to keep bleeding the tax base if the tax base finally stands up and says, F you! You aren't getting anymore of my money until YOU reform your ways. Cut waste! Cut spending! Reduce overhead! Trim the fat! Just like I have to in my business!

Instead of talking him out of this, encourage him to succeed. If he turns out to be another scumbag politician, then so be it. But the same old crap is not going to cut it.

I agree to an extent, but there's a huge "middleground" that is being skipped. A good, honest person doing any government job would be a blessing at this point. Taking it straight to the "batshit" level just ain't gonna work. Change comes slowly...

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    Is it really crazy? That's the first reaction, but most people then start to think.... well if it's my property and I own it, why to I have to pay to keep it? Especial if I don't like what the money I'm paying is going towards. I have one supporter who's daughter goes to public school, uses the parish parks and likes how his money is spend but loves the idea of choice and liberty. That's all I'm saying. This will force our parish to avoid projects like building a 60,000 concession stand or graveling over already blacktop roads. I don't imagine I will win but I am going to try and hope it changes some peoples minds.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I agree to an extent, but there's a huge "middleground" that is being skipped. A good, honest person doing any government job would be a blessing at this point. Taking it straight to the "batshit" level just ain't gonna work. Change comes slowly...

Just like the Pretender, huh? Look at what that clown has done in just 2 1/2 years. Look at the immediate impact of the Tea Party.

I have been watching and waiting for a different way for 20 years. And in those 20 years, my personal and business taxes have yet to go down, FOR ANYTHING!

A coin can land heads or tails, but only if flipped. I say go shake it up. The more out of the box, the better.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Just like the Pretender, huh? Look at what that clown has done in just 2 1/2 years. Look at the immediate impact of the Tea Party.

I have been watching and waiting for a different way for 20 years. And in those 20 years, my personal and business taxes have yet to go down, FOR ANYTHING!

A coin can land heads or tails, but only if flipped. I say go shake it up. The more out of the box, the better.

Oh wow. I'm buying what you're selling today ;)

This is how things have been going down in the past couple decades. We try and do things right while the left just crams it down our throats in a matter of seconds it seems. I think it's past time we swing back.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom